The Student Room Group

Cambridge vs Oxford

Basically, I have applied to Cambridge University to study English this year (and I've had my interview at Cambridge this week), however, I really feel that I should have applied to Oxford, and was wondering how to go about dealing with this feeling? Should I try to reapply next year to Oxford whilst studying at a different uni for this year coming (2019) or should I contact the unis?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by alex.borras
Basically, I have applied to Cambridge University to study English this year (and I've had my interview at Cambridge this week), however, I really feel that I should have applied to Oxford, and was wondering how to go about dealing with this feeling? Should I try to reapply next year to Oxford whilst studying at a different uni for this year coming (2019) or should I contact the unis?

Why do you feel that you prefer Oxford to Cambridge? Would that feeling go away if Cambridge give you an offer?
Reply 2
Original post by ageshallnot
Why do you feel that you prefer Oxford to Cambridge? Would that feeling go away if Cambridge give you an offer?

I just prefer the city a lot more I feel, and I have an affinity for Wadham college. I don't know if the feeling would go away if Cambridge gave me an offer - I enjoyed the interviews, but I just feel like I have a love for Oxford that I haven't had for Cambridge. I applied for Cambridge purely based on course preference, but now I've looked more into the Oxford course I've discovered that it is something I would enjoy and I just feel like I've made a bit of a mistake there!!
I just prefer the city a lot more I feel, and I have an affinity for Wadham college. I don't know if the feeling would go away if Cambridge gave me an offer - I enjoyed the interviews, but I just feel like I have a love for Oxford that I haven't had for Cambridge. I applied for Cambridge purely based on course preference, but now I've looked more into the Oxford course I've discovered that it is something I would enjoy and I just feel like I've made a bit of a mistake there!!

Ok, what's different about the two courses? What led you to prefer the Cambridge course initially and what have you changed your mind about on Oxford's?
Reply 4
Original post by ageshallnot
Ok, what's different about the two courses? What led you to prefer the Cambridge course initially and what have you changed your mind about on Oxford's?

Initially I was looking into the Oxford course, and favoured it, however, I then last minute changed to Cambridge based on the course covering more modern/recent texts. But I've looked back into the Oxford course, and I keep thinking about a college that I fell in love with at Oxford and I'm a bit !!!! about what to do from here on out
Initially I was looking into the Oxford course, and favoured it, however, I then last minute changed to Cambridge based on the course covering more modern/recent texts. But I've looked back into the Oxford course, and I keep thinking about a college that I fell in love with at Oxford and I'm a bit !!!! about what to do from here on out

Well, you might as wait until early January and see whether you get a Cambridge offer. If you don't then you can either go somewhere else for a year and apply to Oxford for 2020, or take a gap year and apply. I don't see the point of the former tbh unless you have money to burn.

If you do get a Cambridge offer then you can firm it or pursue either of the above strategies - but spurning Cambridge for Oxford strikes me as a pretty futile decision. The courses are similar enough to make you vacillate between them and the environments are also alike. If you conduct a risk-reward analysis and assuming you get the grades* you would be risking a certain Cambridge place. merely for the chance of one at Oxford.

*If you accept Cambridge but don't get the grades you are in the same position above as not getting an offer.

Bear in mind even if you did apply to Oxford there's a fair (something like 20-30% I believe) chance you'll end up at another college anyway. Don't set your heart on an individual college, and remember that most students seem to end up loving their colleges even if they aren't the ones they applied to originally.

Look at the course itself, and think about which best fits you - you say originally this is what put you off Oxford, and caused you to apply to Cambridge. Are you sure the "new information" you're finding about the Oxford course isn't just confirmation bias to support your favouring this Oxford college and that the course isn't still the one you felt unsuitable?
Reply 7
Original post by artful_lounger
Bear in mind even if you did apply to Oxford there's a fair (something like 20-30% I believe) chance you'll end up at another college anyway.

^this

@alex.borras also there's a reasonable, and certainly non-zero, chance you wouldn't get an Oxford offer at all if you did apply.

Personally unless the course is significantly better at Oxford I wouldn't want to risk it. And there's always the opportunity to MSt at Oxford anyway. Plenty of Oxbridge undergrads do their postgrad at "the other place".

Edit: also Wadham is "paired" with Christ's - did you happen to apply there? :beard:
(edited 5 years ago)

I felt that way about applying to Oxford when I really liked Cambridge. Once you make friends at your new uni, you'll love it and forget all about your previous little-informed infatuations :smile:
Original post by Doonesbury
^this

@alex.borras also there's a reasonable, and certainly non-zero, chance you wouldn't get an Oxford offer at all if you did apply.

Personally unless the course is significantly better at Oxford I wouldn't want to risk it. And there's always the opportunity to MSt at Oxford anyway. Plenty of Oxbridge undergrads do their postgrad at "the other place".

Edit: also Wadham is "paired" with Christ's - did you happen to apply there? :beard:

what other pairings are there?
Reply 10
Original post by nicholasflee
what other pairings are there?

Plenty. Most colleges have a pair, some have more than one.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Oxbridge_sister_colleges

Just relax for now I'd say. You need to wait and see if you get an offer from Cambridge first and then you can think about your decision. You could always take a year out and reapply to Oxford but that is a year of your life wasted, and if you do actually get a Cambridge offer I seriously don't think it's worth rejecting that just to reapply to Oxford when there's a high chance you won't get in there. I seriously think you will enjoy whatever uni you end up at, whether that's Oxbridge or otherwise, as long as you make the effort!
Most of what has been said already is absolutely stellar advice, but I just want to say that in a lot of ways the courses at Cambridge and Oxford are pretty similar. Both institutions have world renowned Literary scholars and offer a wide variety of texts. Also, remember if the course doesn't cover something you're interested in there is always your dissertation etc in order to branch out!

The risk of giving up an offer (if you get one) in order to chance a reapplication would be too much in my opinion.

If you get in, please go to Cambridge. Forget this talk about Oxf*rd. Good luck.
I'm at Cambridge doing English, and I've lived here since 2017 (I switched subjects), if you want to ask me anything about living in Cambridge or what doing English here is like, feel free.
Honestly both university are very competitive. If you get an offer for Cambridge you would be foolish to reject it imo.

If you dont get an offer for Cambridge, then yeah id apply to Oxford next year - maybe - or just go to Durham / Imperial / St Andrews ect.
Original post by Yellow2914
Honestly both university are very competitive. If you get an offer for Cambridge you would be foolish to reject it imo.

If you dont get an offer for Cambridge, then yeah id apply to Oxford next year - maybe - or just go to Durham / Imperial / St Andrews ect.

Imperial does not offer English:wink:
Agreed though. Imagine foolishly rejected Cambridge and not getting into Oxford after that:O
Plenty. Most colleges have a pair, some have more than one.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Oxbridge_sister_colleges

Interesting - what benefits actually come from colleges being 'paired'?
Reply 18
Original post by b.perera
Interesting - what benefits actually come from colleges being 'paired'?

An annual formal dinner.
An annual formal dinner.

We never did a dinner with our sister college, as far as I know.

We did use their boats if we wanted to do any rowing in Cambridge though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending