The Student Room Group

should i apply to cambridge

i applied to oxford this year for maths but performed badly in the mat (52) so did not get an interview, i don't think it was an issue with my personal statement as i got offers elsewhere. I didn't really prepare for the mat as i was stressed about other school tests and i feel like i could have done better, but again i'm not sure
I've decided that i wouldn't have wanted to go to oxford anyway and would much rather go to cambridge. Do you think it would be worth applying to cambridge (queen's college) and declining my offers that i have for this year.
I have offers from durham edinburgh warwick and bristol, and mainly trying to decide between durham and edinburgh, i've discounted bristol and warwick.
It would be helpful if people told me if it would be worth applying? I'd be happy going to either edinburgh or durham but i would rather go to cambridge. I really don't know what to do!
Are you a year 13? If you have offers from the other good unis already I would say no. what subject are you doing?
It's not guaranteed you will get into cambridge either so you may end up having to wait another year. Is your subject or getting there more important?
Reply 3
Original post by Bookworm524
Are you a year 13? If you have offers from the other good unis already I would say no. what subject are you doing?

I want to study maths
If I don't get in then I'd go to edinburgh or durham (i'd reapply and hopefully get in)
I'm not set on going to oxford or cambridge or anything like that I just want to see if I would get in if i properly prepared
Reply 4
bump.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 5
Original post by sadfhjvl
I want to study maths
If I don't get in then I'd go to edinburgh or durham (i'd reapply and hopefully get in)
I'm not set on going to oxford or cambridge or anything like that I just want to see if I would get in if i properly prepared

No-one here can actually tell you that because it's completely hypothetical and depends on the competition at the time! Don't forget that lots of Cambridge Maths applicants get offers, but ultimately miss out on a place because of their performance on STEP, which takes a lot of preparation / time commitment. If you didn't prepare properly for MAT, are you convinced that you could put in the effort required for STEP?

Tbh it doesn't sound as if you're wildly enthusiastic about Cambridge, you just have some vague interest in that direction, so my advice would be to take one of your existing offers from what are perfectly good universities with very good maths degrees :smile:
What’s the reason for no longer wanting to go to Oxford and desiring Cambridge instead?
Reply 7
Original post by Sorcerer of Old
What’s the reason for no longer wanting to go to Oxford and desiring Cambridge instead?

MAT vs STEP
Reply 8
Cambridge maths application is risky, if 52 in MAT I'd say thats good, but a bit of a way to go to get a place a Cambridge from there (i.e. more training, not necessarily more ability). You can perhaps work on Maths Challenge and get a place for BMO round 1. If you get that perhaps worth applying, if not, go wherever else. Bristol is good, Edinburgh also. I'd say take those now. A year off can take forever and be depressing. Only go for the reapply to Cambridge if you really want it.
(edited 11 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending