The Student Room Group

What is your favorite Rare game?

Hi guys! :smile:

I planned this thread already in the last year, but I thought it would be forgotten during the best-game-in-2018-award and the days from christmas to new years eve. But the time has come now...

to ask you about the best game the well known brand Rare has ever produced in the past! :biggrin:

And Rare released a lot (awesome) games, here is a list about them

What is your favorite and why?

I like the Donkey Kong series for SNES and most of all the part in the middle, number 2: the characters are good playable and the fact that hidden levels (not the bonus stages!) exist for the first time in Donkey Kong makes it to my favorite.

Banjo-Kazooie for N64 is very closed and a very good game that would deserve a mention, if it would not be so popular and known.

Is there a rare game you never played, but you would like in the past, even in presence?

In my case, yes: Conker's Bad Fur Day. I was so keen on the game since I saw the first game sequences to it. The black humor and the money-grubbing squirrel with his sarcastic behaviour would have made my day - if I had ever got it. :frown:

Now, it is your turn, guys. Tell me something about YOUR favorite Rare game here!

Spoiler

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kallisto

I planned this thread already in the last year, but I thought it would be forgotten during the best-game-in-2018-award and the days from christmas to new years eve. But the time has come now...

to ask you about the best game the well known brand Rare has ever produced in the past! :biggrin:

I like the Donkey Kong series for SNES and most of all the part in the middle, number 2: the characters are good playable and the fact that hidden levels (not the bonus stages!) exist for the first time in Donkey Kong makes it to my favorite.

Banjo-Kazooie for N64 is very closed and a very good game that would deserve a mention, if it would not be so popular and known.

Is there a rare game you never played, but you would like in the past, even in presence?

In my case, yes: Conker's Bad Fur Day. I was so keen on the game since I saw the first game sequences to it. The black humor and the money-grubbing squirrel with his sarcastic behaviour would have made my day - if I had ever got it. :frown:

Now, it is your turn, guys. Tell me something about YOUR favorite Rare game here!

Spoiler

As someone who's always been more into PC gaming than console gaming, the majority of their games haven't been available to me. :no: That said, I did play GoldenEye 007 a few times when visiting friends who had N64s, and it sticks out in my memory (and its reputation and legacy only seem to get better as time goes by)!
Original post by AngryJellyfish
As someone who's always been more into PC gaming than console gaming, the majority of their games haven't been available to me. :no: That said, I did play GoldenEye 007 a few times when visiting friends who had N64s, and it sticks out in my memory (and its reputation and legacy only seem to get better as time goes by)!

Yep, you told me. Has really missed some good games, not only the ones which were produced by Rare. In turn I think I have missed good PC games, as I was too focused on consoles. Don't sweat it.
League of Legends
Rare released kinect games? didn't know this yet. Are the inect sports parts some of them you was talking about?
Original post by I'mComingOxford
League of Legends

That was Riot Games, I believe?

yes! do you play it :colondollar:
Original post by I'mComingOxford
yes! do you play it :colondollar:

A couple of times, way back in 2010/11. It was my friends who were really into it, I gave it a go to see what the fuss was about, but it wasn't really my thing. :nah:
No Man's Sea. Wait, sorry it's called Sea of Thieves isn't it :tongue:

Also, before we discuss the correct answer (Goldeneye), can we just establish if you played Odd-job you're a cheater

Thanks for information. League of Legends is a game I have never linked with Rare from the first second.

Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
No Man's Sea. Wait, sorry it's called Sea of Thieves isn't it :tongue:

Also, before we discuss the correct answer (Goldeneye), can we just establish if you played Odd-job you're a cheater

Yep, that is right. Sea of Thieves is one of the games which was released by Rare.

Never played Goldeneye, so I can't reply to your question about the bond game. :tongue:

Yep, that is right. Sea of Thieves is one of the games which was released by Rare.

Never played Goldeneye, so I can't reply to your question about the bond game. :tongue:

I'm aware Sea of Thieves is a rare game (I've played it), i was comparing it to No Man's Sky because it also was launched with basically no game play.

Not a question, it's a statement of fact. If you played Odd-job, you were cheating
Battledawn , played it mainly in h.school when it had thousands of active peeps on each world. It's a rts game and therefore very time consuming but incredibly enjoyable with a great community.

ps: lol i thought rare , as in unknown games not an actually company mb l
(edited 5 years ago)
If anyone can remember the legendary strategy game World in Conflict then they are awesome.

Spoiler

wasnt zelda made by rare? but agree with conker, banjo and donkey kong country
Conker's Bad Fur Day was the realest
Original post by quasa
wasnt zelda made by rare? but agree with conker, banjo and donkey kong country

Don't know any Zelda game ever made by rare. And I played a lot!

Original post by Retired_Messiah
Conker's Bad Fur Day was the realest

Yep, and the most expensive. How much money did you pay for this game to play? over 100 pounds? as a rarity, it costs a lot.

@JoshDarnIt What is the matter with you? I am surprised that you, a retro gamer, has not played a rare game, seems so.
Don't know any Zelda game ever made by rare. And I played a lot!

Yep, and the most expensive. How much money did you pay for this game to play? over 100 pounds? as a rarity, it costs a lot.

@JoshDarnIt What is the matter with you? I am surprised that you, a retro gamer, has not played a rare game, seems so.

Soz, I kept getting a bunch of notifications yesterday and couldn't keep up with everything so I ended up forgetting to reply to this thread :redface:

But alas, I'm here now :biggrin:

Sorry to tell ya but I've never played any games by Rare :redface: But that doesn't mean I don't know all the classics! Conker's Bad Fur Day, Banjo-Kazooie, Goldeneye, DK64, Perfect Dark etc.

I hope to own some of their games one day
Original post by JoshDarnIt
Soz, I kept getting a bunch of notifications yesterday and couldn't keep up with everything so I ended up forgetting to reply to this thread :redface:

But alas, I'm here now :biggrin:

Sorry to tell ya but I've never played any games by Rare :redface: But that doesn't mean I don't know all the classics! Conker's Bad Fur Day, Banjo-Kazooie, Goldeneye, DK64, Perfect Dark etc.

I hope to own some of their games one day

All the Donkey Kong games are good. Banjo-Kazooie is still one of my top games I played on N64, same goes for the successor Banjo-Tooie. Buy the games and they are yours. What prevents you to do?
All the Donkey Kong games are good. Banjo-Kazooie is still one of my top games I played on N64, same goes for the successor Banjo-Tooie. Buy the games and they are yours. What prevents you to do?

You're lucky you got to experience them :tongue:

I don't have the money to buy them unfortunately :frown:
Original post by JoshDarnIt
You're lucky you got to experience them :tongue:

I don't have the money to buy them unfortunately :frown:

Conker is quite expensive, I admit. But games like Donkey Kong 64 are cheap in comparison to the named one. Save a bit of your money and you get it. Are you playing an N64 or SNES anyway?

Quick Reply

Latest