The Student Room Group

Simple harmonic motion help pls

SO I have stuck by the following question, can anyone help to explain?
Its question b thanks
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by sherryeww
SO I have stuck by the following question, can anyone help to explain?
Its question b thanks

I cannot seem to see any question.
Reply 3
Original post by Eimmanuel
I cannot seem to see any question.

I’ve inserted the pic below, thanks!

How far have you got?

Frequency of oscillation = 2pi/4.5 =4pi/9
Amplitude of oscillation = 1.15 m
x = 1.15 cos 4pi t /9
0.6 m means the amplitude is -0.55m

0.55 = 1.15 cos 1.4 t
t = 0.766 s

so time = 4.5 - 2 x 0.766 = 3.0 s
here is the question.

Try to model the SHM motion using a trigonometric function such as -Acos(ωt), where the barrier starts from the bottom. The height of the barrier moves is 2A.

Assume that the barrier starts at the bottom or -A, the barrier first reaches (-A + 0.60 m) at time t1 and then at time t2. The time difference between t1 and t2 will be the maximum time.
Original post by golgiapparatus31
x = 1.15 cos 4pi t /9

0.55 = 1.15 cos 1.4 t
t = 0.766 s

I got a notification that you quoted my post. It seems to say something like the maximum time is the time above 0.6 m. What is wrong with my proposed working?

…0.6 m means the amplitude is -0.55m ....

Are you really sure amplitude can be negative in describing SHM for A-level physics?

https://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/Amplitude

https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/A-level_Physics_(Advancing_Physics)/Simple_Harmonic_Motion
Reply 8
x = 1.15 cos 4pi t /9

0.55 = 1.15 cos 1.4 t
t = 0.766 s

I’m wondering how do I get 0.55 and 1.15, also why 4.5-2times, can you explain a bit more pls? Many thanks!
Reply 9
Try to model the SHM motion using a trigonometric function such as -Acos(ωt), where the barrier starts from the bottom. The height of the barrier moves is 2A.

Assume that the barrier starts at the bottom or -A, the barrier first reaches (-A + 0.60 m) at time t1 and then at time t2. The time difference between t1 and t2 will be the maximum time.

I don’t really understand
Assume that the barrier starts at the bottom or -A, the barrier first reaches (-A + 0.60 m) at time t1 and then at time t2. The time difference between t1 and t2 will be the maximum time’ can you explain a bit more?many thanks!!!
I don’t really understand
Assume that the barrier starts at the bottom or -A, the barrier first reaches (-A + 0.60 m) at time t1 and then at time t2. The time difference between t1 and t2 will be the maximum time’ can you explain a bit more?many thanks!!!

graph01.jpg

If you look at the picture, the black line represents the ground. When I say “Assume that the barrier starts at the bottom or -A,” meaning the bottom of the barrier starts its motion from the ground. (I know the description is bad in the previous post. :smile: )

The pink line in the picture shows the position of (-A + 0.60 m) from the ground while the red curve is modelling the motion of the bottom of the barrier (in fact it is more correct to say the displacement of the bottom of the barrier). When the bottom of the barrier reaches the position (-A + 0.60 m) for the first time is around 0.7 s and the second time is around 3.7 s as shown by the intersection between the pink line and red curve. The difference between the 2 timings would be the maximum time.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 11
graph01.jpg

If you look at the picture, the black line represents the ground. When I say “Assume that the barrier starts at the bottom or -A,” meaning the bottom of the barrier starts its motion from the ground. (I know the description is bad in the previous post. :smile: )

The pink line in the picture shows the position of (-A + 0.60 m) from the ground while the red curve is modelling the motion of the bottom of the barrier. When the bottom of the barrier reaches the position (-A + 0.60 m) for the first time is around 0.7 s and the second time is around 3.7 s as shown by the intersection between the pink line and red curve. The difference between the 2 timings would be the maximum time.

graph01.jpg

The pink line in the picture shows the position of (-A + 0.60 m) from the ground while the red curve is modelling the motion of the bottom of the barrier. When the bottom of the barrier reaches the position (-A + 0.60 m) for the first time is around 0.7 s and the second time is around 3.7 s as shown by the intersection between the pink line and red curve. The difference between the 2 timings would be the maximum time.

But I don’t understand why it would reach the position(-A+0.6)?
But I don’t understand why it would reach the position(-A+0.6)?

I am not sure how can explain this. The question states that "A contestant requires a space at least 0.6 m high to get under the barrier." So the barrier need to moves up by 0.6 m.

If you are at basement level 5, which i called -5, when you move up 3 levels, isn't -5 + 3.
Reply 13
I am not sure how can explain this. The question states that "A contestant requires a space at least 0.6 m high to get under the barrier." So the barrier need to moves up by 0.6 m.

If you are at basement level 5, which i called -5, when you move up 3 levels, isn't -5 + 3.

Thanks I finally get it!!!

Quick Reply

Latest