The Student Room Group

Are people blind to the bigger scale of things?

Everyday, people go about their business, go about their mediocre lives without ever thinking a second thought.

If you think about it, we evolved from a little organism in the ocean eating chemical soup from the earth, we're just a simple chance by chance happenstance, no one ever put us here, we are just an insignificant occurrence that will pass with time, like dinosaurs, if you look at the timeline of our whole history, before society, you'll realise that we are completely meaningless.

What's the objection in just dying right now, I'd love to just die on the spot, couldn't care less about what happiness I can achieve, rather just die tbh, like how you felt before birth, love that feeling, complete nothingness.

I could seriously go for some nothingness right now.

Edit: People put so much stock in their existence, it's insane, being so involved in yourself and this material life, why bother, we are simply a chance occurrence, we will pass, our cities will crumble, vines will grow over our skyscrapers, and new life will begin, nature will go on without us, we seem to think that we need to save the planet, no we don't, nature will eventually kill us all, it's a matter of time, the planet will always exist, always cycle back into what it wants to be, the planet, once we're gone will move on.
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheNamesBond.
Everyday, people go about their business, go about their mediocre lives without ever thinking a second thought.

If you think about it, we evolved from a little organism in the ocean eating chemical soup from the earth, we're just a simple chance by chance happenstance, no one ever put us here, we are just an insignificant occurrence that will pass with time, like dinosaurs, if you look at the timeline of our whole history, before society, you'll realise that we are completely meaningless.

What's the objection in just dying right now, I'd love to just die on the spot, couldn't care less about what happiness I can achieve, rather just die tbh, like how you felt before birth, love that feeling, complete nothingness.

Everything here is just trivial.

Could not agree more with sentiment-I would reach ultimate peace finally.I see you're coming around to nihilism :biggrin: -that's my interpretation anyway.PRSOM.
Agree, millions commute every day, running around this ball of rock though weird to think to what end...
Original post by FutureMissMRCS
Could not agree more with sentiment-I would reach ultimate peace finally.I see you're coming around to nihilism -that's my interpretation anyway.PRSOM.

It was only a matter of time :u:
At the end we're all just small fish in a gigantic pond,therefore are trivial beings.Most are average Joe's that won't be remembered after they die.
It was only a matter of time :u:
I think this when I am stood in the bakery bit at Tesco. People work all their lives in an artificial work environment, rather than growing their own produce or tending their own animals, for the sake of a mass produced Cadbury muffin.
Agree, lol
At the end we're all just small fish in a gigantic pond,therefore are trivial beings.Most are average Joe's that won't be remembered after they die.

True, people put so much stock in their existence, it's insane, being so involved in yourself and this material life, why bother, we are simply a chance occurrence, we will pass, our cities will crumble, vines will grow over our skyscrapers, and new life will begin, nature will go on without us, we seem to think that we need to save the planet, no we don't, nature will eventually kill us all, it's a matter of time, the planet will always exist, always cycle back into what it wants to be, the planet, once we're gone will move on.
(edited 5 years ago)
True, people put so much stock in their existence, it's insane, being so involved in yourself and this material life, why bother, we are simply a chance occurrence, we will pass, our cities will crumble, vines will grow over our skyscrapers, and new life will begin, nature will go on without us, we seem to think that we need to save the planet, no we don't, nature will eventually kill us all, it's a matter time, the planet will always exist, always cycle back into what it wants to be, the planet, once we're gone will move on.

I'll tag @Bio 7 he always makes good contributions to the philosophy forum on this subject matter :biggrin: Everything is so materialistic and people obsess over money but when they die-all that wealth disappears,that money will have no use to them when they die.Nature is far more powerful than humans ever will be,we can never win against nature.Nature is far more superior to us,nature is eternal and we only have a set time on this earth.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 9
This thread is summing up how I’ve felt for about 3 years. Unless you believe in a deity I’m not sure how you could not be an Existential Nihilist.
People can still find meaning in life which is nice, but everything in nature stops eventually. People seem to be too focused on preserving everything as long as possible and I think that detracts from nature in a way. We spend so much effort maintaining things and growing our wealth that we don’t bother enjoying anything and it makes it harder to appreciate anything.

Personally I would prefer a much shorter life span and focus on fewer things than preserve our illusion of life for as long as possible. You could work fewer hours and find something you enjoy more and have bobbies rather than plan out 3 or 4 decades more than you really need. Quality over quantity, if we are here for a bit then we might as well make it worthwhile.
Original post by Bio 7
This thread is summing up how I’ve felt for about 3 years. Unless you believe in a deity I’m not sure how you could not be an Existential Nihilist.
People can still find meaning in life which is nice, but everything in nature stops eventually. People seem to be too focused on preserving everything as long as possible and I think that detracts from nature in a way. We spend so much effort maintaining things and growing our wealth that we don’t bother enjoying anything and it makes it harder to appreciate anything.

Personally I would prefer a much shorter life span and focus on fewer things than preserve our illusion of life for as long as possible. You could work fewer hours and find something you enjoy more and have bobbies rather than plan out 3 or 4 decades more than you really need. Quality over quantity, if we are here for a bit then we might as well make it worthwhile.

I don't mind living a short life, but I would rather be dead right now, so I guess i would mind really, yeh, I look at all these elderly people and I'm just like, 'well ****, haven't you seen enough of life'.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Bio 7

How did you get over the feeling-was there anything in particular that changed the way you feel?
I don't mind living a short life, but I would rather be dead right now, so I guess i would mind really, yeh, I look at all these elderly people and I'm just like, 'well ****, haven't you seen enough of life'.

Yeah I can't imagine living till old age-if I was really sick,bed bound and unable to leave the house or care home or hospital bed or wherever I would be.What joy in life would keep me going when right now it's pretty minimal anyway?
Yeah I agree
Yeah I can't imagine living till old age-if I was really sick,bed bound and unable to leave the house or care home or hospital bed or wherever I would be.What joy in life would keep me going when right now it's pretty minimal anyway?

It's not even that, it's that I would rather just cease to exist right now, I would rather not follow this illusion of life that we must follow, go to school, go to college, go to uni, get a job, relationship, possible marriage, possible offspring, retirement, death.

In simple terms, fu*k that, I'd rather just cease to exist than follow this illusion of how I should live my life, in other words none of it matters, i obviously can't do whatever I want in life, I can't do my own thing, i must conform, that's what society has always been.

And even if I could, why would I?

It's definetly better, but it's still the same fundamental pillar of life, something we can't escape, so I'd rather die on the spot, nothingness, my favourite thing to think about.
(edited 5 years ago)
Dying and going back to nothingness for eternity sounds **** boring.
Reply 16
It's not even that, it's that I would rather just seize to exist right now, I would rather not follow this illusion of life that we must follow, go to school, go to college, go to uni, get a job, relationship, possible marriage, possible offspring, retirement, death.

In simple terms, fu*k that, I'd rather just seize to exist than follow this illusion of how I should live my life, in other words none of it matters, i obviously can't do whatever I want in life, I can't do my own thing, i must conform, that's what society has always been.

It's definetly better, but it's still the same fundamental pillar of life, something we can't escape, so I'd rather die on the spot, nothingness, my favourite thing to think about.

Cease. Cease to exist.
It's not even that, it's that I would rather just seize to exist right now, I would rather not follow this illusion of life that we must follow, go to school, go to college, go to uni, get a job, relationship, possible marriage, possible offspring, retirement, death.

In simple terms, fu*k that, I'd rather just seize to exist than follow this illusion of how I should live my life, in other words none of it matters, i obviously can't do whatever I want in life, I can't do my own thing, i must conform, that's what society has always been.

I think about it every day too-fading into the darkness,no longer having to breathe,think,move etc.The whole idea of happiness is an illusion-we're never really going to be 'happy' (my definition of happy=fulfilled/wholly satisfied) .I feel empty anyway.

If you could do whatever you wanted,and show the middle finger to society-what would you do?I dislike society-always trying to control me and tell me what I should do-I hate conforming and blending in-I rather be my own individual.
Reply 18
Original post by Notoriety
I think this when I am stood in the bakery bit at Tesco. People work all their lives in an artificial work environment, rather than growing their own produce or tending their own animals, for the sake of a mass produced Cadbury muffin.

I sometimes think about how it'd be great to brew my own ale and get ratted on my own in darkness listening to Nick Cave and ******* to BBC Parliament, but then I remember that Guinness exists and I like pubs so why ****ing bother.

I've been thinking about this quite a bit recently too lmao

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending