The Student Room Group

IBM Apprenticeships 2019

Scroll to see replies

We don't require apprentices to have any prior work experience, just having a passion for technology and willingness to learn! Knowledge on coding would be helpful but not essential :smile:
- Melissa
Original post by mubinahmed2002
do you need any previous work experience or if knowing how to code help
Reply 21
Original post by Fatcoin
Hey ho everyone,

Should preface by saying I am not an IBM spokesperson in any way - just putting myself out here to help you guys out.

Thought it would be good to get this thread up and running to centralise questions and discussion.

For reference I am a Degree Apprentice at Exeter doing Digital and Technology Solutions and I started at IBM in May 2018 so I've been here a little over 6 months (as of writing this post).

I cannot go into massive detail regarding the interview/online tests process as I will lose my job but I'm happy to answer questions about the application process, the uni and what kind of work you may be doing.

99% of the info regarding opening dates, general job descriptions and entry requirements can be found here :- https://www-05.ibm.com/employment/uk-en/school_leaver.html

Hey, so what do I put down for grades if I have not finished my A - levels yet (I'm still in year 13)?
Reply 22
How does an apprenticeship work? Do you get a degree as well as 3 years experience?
does anyone now when the 2020 applications would start
just want to know as I want to complete the application. as soon as possible for next year
(edited 5 years ago)
Yes, you most certainly do, if you do a degree apprenticeship. Other apprenticeships offer alternative qualifications e.g. Level 3/4 in digital marketing.
Original post by Guchee
How does an apprenticeship work? Do you get a degree as well as 3 years experience?
Reply 25
Original post by rda_g
Hey, so what do I put down for grades if I have not finished my A - levels yet (I'm still in year 13)?

Predicted grades.
Applications for 2020 starts will open in August 2019 :smile:

Melissa
Original post by mubinahmed2002
does anyone now when the 2020 applications would start
just want to know as I want to complete the application. as soon as possible for next year
Original post by IBM UK Careers

Melissa

thank u
Has anyone heard back since completing the video interview & online application form (competency based one)?
Hey Fatcoin,
Do the apprentices salary increase year on year or does it stay the same for the full duration of the apprenticeship?
Hey Melissa! Thanks for this. I want to apply to IBM's Digital and Technology Solutions degree apprenticeship but would really appreciate more time to study for the IPAT, so would definitely like to aim for a 2020 start.
Original post by IBM UK Careers

Melissa
Reply 31
Original post by Samir Farah
Hey Fatcoin,
Do the apprentices salary increase year on year or does it stay the same for the full duration of the apprenticeship?

Yo, it does go up throughout the duration however I'm not sure if I can say how much/often it does without getting into trouble...
Original post by Fatcoin
Yo, it does go up throughout the duration however I'm not sure if I can say how much/often it does without getting into trouble...

Hi! I’ve been offered a similar scheme from a competitor, and they say it’s pay rises averaging once a year as you move up the ‘ranks’ and get promoted. They haven’t disclosed how much the pay rises are though. Would you say that’s similar at IBM?
Reply 33
Original post by jazzyjinks
Hi! I’ve been offered a similar scheme from a competitor, and they say it’s pay rises averaging once a year as you move up the ‘ranks’ and get promoted. They haven’t disclosed how much the pay rises are though. Would you say that’s similar at IBM?

Something similar. You will still be the same pay grade but your salary will go up so it won't be the same for 3 years and then jump massively once you are done with the apprenticeship.
What are the gcse requirements?
Original post by Fatcoin
Hey ho everyone,

Should preface by saying I am not an IBM spokesperson in any way - just putting myself out here to help you guys out.

Thought it would be good to get this thread up and running to centralise questions and discussion.

For reference I am a Degree Apprentice at Exeter doing Digital and Technology Solutions and I started at IBM in May 2018 so I've been here a little over 6 months (as of writing this post).

I cannot go into massive detail regarding the interview/online tests process as I will lose my job but I'm happy to answer questions about the application process, the uni and what kind of work you may be doing.

99% of the info regarding opening dates, general job descriptions and entry requirements can be found here :- https://www-05.ibm.com/employment/uk-en/school_leaver.html

Hi, I have an assessment centre coming up in soon for IBM and I wanted to ask for some advice for it?
(edited 5 years ago)
Also Fatcoin,
I heard you get an Amex card, do you have to pay yourself and then IBM reimburses or does IBM just take care of everything?
Reply 37
Original post by CS1234CS
What are the gcse requirements?

Entry Requirements: 5 GCSEs grade 4-9 including Maths and English Language - copied verbatim off the website.
Reply 38
Original post by abubakr0344
Hi, I have an assessment centre coming up in soon for IBM and I wanted to ask for some advice for it?

Advice. Know a bit about IBM (hint they don't make keyboards any more.) Be able to articulate why IBM over a different company and why an Apprenticeship over uni - think about the STAR approach and don't cut other people off in the teamwork sections. Also dress sharp and be on time.
Reply 39
Original post by Samir Farah
Also Fatcoin,
I heard you get an Amex card, do you have to pay yourself and then IBM reimburses or does IBM just take care of everything?

You put all expenses on the Amex and the IBM pay off the Amex for you so the money never actually gets taken out of your account but you have to submit expense reports in time with receipts or you get pinged with late fees.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending