The Student Room Group

CTA, ACA or ACA-CTA Tax Apprenticeship

Initially had a job for CFAB then ACA in Tax for Autumn Start but now they (big 4) call and say they think CTA is better for me as it's for relevant to my daily job... I said look into ACA for me more as it's what I initially planned upon. Still waiting for a reply, really don't want to do CTA, if I say I don't want to will they take away my job?
Read upon CTA quite a bit whilst also checking the CIOT website for pass percentages (in terms of people and the exams), looks way too hard for me and I'm v.bad at memorising loads which is what it involves...
Also, apparently the ATT-CTA pathway is BS as they make you do the application paper which is really hard and it basically is to show the CTA is really hard to achieve. Whereas the ACCA/ACA people get exemptions due to the subscription fees the CIOT (tax institute) gains...
Really want to do ACA yet with tax!
How can I tell this to my big 4 employer? How can I persuade them it's what's best and give a good arguement
Thinking about saying I'll maybe do the CTA after the ACA, however does that mean I don't get the exemptions and its 2 or so more years if I don't join through the ACA/CTA route?
Shall I ask if I can do the ACA/CTA route? How hard is this route compared to doing ACA alone and compared to doing CTA alone?

Appreciate all the help, Any quick replies would be great as I'm currently in the talk with the recruiter, Much appreciated.
Reply 1
I'm currently on the ATT-CTA joint tax pathway and while I can't really comment on how your employer will react, I can say the difficulty shouldn't scare you from doing it. It's definitely challenging, but also achievable and in respect of the interaction paper, there has been a change and its now a case study which you get to see 2 weeks in advance, if im not mistaken. My brother is currently doing the ACA I believe, and from seeing him revise, I certainly wouldn't take that as being an "easier" alternative by anymeans.
Reply 2
How much of the ATT-CTA pathway have you done, like how many exams? You doing a school leaver apprenticeship? And what level is your brother at through his ACA qualification? As he may be ahead which is why he's struggling more for the harder papers. Also it's not completely upon difficulty, I also don't want to be confined to tax as I'm sure it's something I'll get bored of constantly doing it throughout my work-life. And I don't think I'll be able to hack all the memorising some CTA papers take, no wonder theirs so many fails each year
Original post by Dan_Kip
I'm currently on the ATT-CTA joint tax pathway and while I can't really comment on how your employer will react, I can say the difficulty shouldn't scare you from doing it. It's definitely challenging, but also achievable and in respect of the interaction paper, there has been a change and its now a case study which you get to see 2 weeks in advance, if im not mistaken. My brother is currently doing the ACA I believe, and from seeing him revise, I certainly wouldn't take that as being an "easier" alternative by anymeans.
Reply 3
Read this: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4898810 - This is whats making me see it's not worth it
Original post by Dan_Kip
Reply 4
My brother and I are both Graduates. I'm about 3 exams in tbh but he's on his final one I believe. If you're worried about being stuck in tax then that's a fair point and the best course of action would be to have a conversation with your manager, I had the same thought and they've confirmed that I would be able to pursue an accountancy qualification if I wanted to branch out once I'm qualified. I saw the thread when I first started and tbh it seemed to be like a bitter person who had failed on that final exam, he was focused on what he perceived was "easier" and then suddenly stopped - I can only assume because he finally passed? Thats my take of it, im curious as to what you think.

In either case the interaction paper has been changed, so that thread isn't accurate anymore so to speak.
Original post by Usermania
Read this: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4898810 - This is whats making me see it's not worth it
Reply 5
Thanks for all the support, I'll make sure I do have that conversation with the manager. Thing is busy season is hell at big 4 firms and doing the ACA after will take another few years, don't want to be stuck there doing like 6/7 busy seasons😂😂 Do you know anything about the ACA-CTA route as I'm considering doing that as long as I think I'm able to actually complete it, but doing two simultaneously in the same time period I can't get my head around. Also, is the interaction paper the hardest one, as I heard there's one (or is there more) which requires memorizing thousands of pages only to be tested on a tiny fraction. Also are you 3 exams into the ATT or are you qualified in that and 3 exams into the CTA? How's the ATT going difficulty-wise. Appreciate all the time and help
Original post by Dan_Kip
My brother and I are both Graduates. I'm about 3 exams in tbh but he's on his final one I believe. If you're worried about being stuck in tax then that's a fair point and the best course of action would be to have a conversation with your manager, I had the same thought and they've confirmed that I would be able to pursue an accountancy qualification if I wanted to branch out once I'm qualified. I saw the thread when I first started and tbh it seemed to be like a bitter person who had failed on that final exam, he was focused on what he perceived was "easier" and then suddenly stopped - I can only assume because he finally passed? Thats my take of it, im curious as to what you think.

In either case the interaction paper has been changed, so that thread isn't accurate anymore so to speak.
Reply 6
Original post by Dan_Kip

Sorry for interrupting. Does anyone want to sell CBE manual namely Essential Law 5th edition?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending