The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80

Did I mention the Old Bailey?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lady_Justice

And you no doubt already know that the Old Bailey statue is not blindfold because "her “maidenly form” is supposed to guarantee her impartiality which renders the blindfold redundant." - so my point about blind impartiality still applies to the Old Bailey statue.
Ahem.
Original post by Decahedron
Should we ignore Human Rights as and when it suits us?

It’s been explained time and again to you she’s legally automatically entitled to Bangladesh citizenship and we beat them to it to revoke.
Original post by paul514
It’s been explained time and again to you she’s legally automatically entitled to Bangladesh citizenship and we beat them to it to revoke.

I will wait for the courts decision on the matter.
I will wait for the courts decision on the matter.

Feel free to do so, but it’s quite clear.
Original post by AJ126
The same way I define ethnically Chinese.Looks like a person of English race.White, blue/ grey/ brown eyes, blond/ brown hair.

Technically she renounced her statehood and became a member of the Islamic state.That that state no longer exists is entirely her problem.She should have thought about that before.

So would you say that white Americans that historically come from England are therefore English?

Are you saying that non white people cannot be English?
Original post by paul514

Quite.

The whole citizenship stuff is made up to suit whatever is the current line Progressives are trying to peddle.

So she is British because she was born in Britain, and this had nothing to do with the nationality of her parents. But her child (now deceased) was British (even though born in Syria) through HER parentage.

To take the argument the Progressives used to make to get her back here to its logical conclusion, if her children were British through her, she is Bangladeshi through both her parents. Indeed her father actually lives there as I understand it.
Guys you can argue as much as you like about what citizenship she should have. THE FACT IS: she joined a terrorist group in Syria and this crime carries the death penalty in Syria.
Biggest anime plottwist in history? nope
Original post by Mustafa0605
Guys you can argue as much as you like about what citizenship she should have. THE FACT IS: she joined a terrorist group in Syria and this crime carries the death penalty in Syria.

Unfortunately she isn't dead yet.
Unfortunately she isn't dead yet.

Well the Kurds should hand her and all the other isis terrorists over to the Syrian authorities so that real justice for the Syrian people can be done.
So would you say that white Americans that historically come from England are therefore English?

Are you saying that non white people cannot be English?

They call themselves American but they have European blood.I don't see how it's controversial to say that there are distinct races of different people.Her parents moving to Britain doesn't make them British any more than Europeans colonizing America made them native American.Why the double standards? It's not at all racist to say that most Americans are not native American.Native Americans are a distinct race.The English are also a distinct race.She might hold british citizenship but that doesn't make her ethnically English.

Non white people can be considered English but it takes more than two generations for that.Like the Boers in South Africa.Originally they were from Holland and were foreign invaders.Now they are white South Africans.They are from Africa but they are still genetically and ethnically distinct from black south africans.It would be wrong to say there is no difference in race.A white South African can't just claim to be a black south African like it's the same thing.
Reply 91
Original post by paul514

It is a right to have legal representation. The argument here is not whether she is a Bangladeshi citizen or not, but whether she is entitled to challenge the government's decision.
Just because we don't like a person or what they are accused of does not remove that person's right to legal representation and an impartial hearing.
PRSOM
Original post by AJ126
They call themselves American but they have European blood.I don't see how it's controversial to say that there are distinct races of different people.Her parents moving to Britain doesn't make them British any more than Europeans colonizing America made them native American.Why the double standards? It's not at all racist to say that most Americans are not native American.Native Americans are a distinct race.The English are also a distinct race.She might hold british citizenship but that doesn't make her ethnically English.

Non white people can be considered English but it takes more than two generations for that.Like the Boers in South Africa.Originally they were from Holland and were foreign invaders.Now they are white South Africans.They are from Africa but they are still genetically and ethnically distinct from black south africans.It would be wrong to say there is no difference in race.A white South African can't just claim to be a black south African like it's the same thing.
Shes welcome to pay for her own representation.
Original post by QE2
It is a right to have legal representation. The argument here is not whether she is a Bangladeshi citizen or not, but whether she is entitled to challenge the government's decision.
Just because we don't like a person or what they are accused of does not remove that person's right to legal representation and an impartial hearing.
Original post by paul514

ISIS still has hundreds of millions hidden in secret bank accounts allegedly, why don't they pay?
Reply 95
Original post by paul514

And if she cannot afford it, she may qualify for legal aid. Them's the rules, whether you like it or not.
Reply 96
Original post by generallee
ISIS still has hundreds of millions hidden in secret bank accounts allegedly, why don't they pay?

Your point is valid in some respects. However, as ISIS is not a recognised nation, it has no obligation to pay the legal bills of citizens it does not have.
As (until the case has been finalised) she is a British citizen, some of the millions in the British government's bank accounts are apparently going to pay for it.

While I may be, like Hunt, "uncomfortable" with the idea of her being given legal aid, I do at least gain some degree of satisfaction at the apoplectic frothing of the far-right.
Original post by QE2
And if she cannot afford it, she may qualify for legal aid. Them's the rules, whether you like it or not.

Shouldn’t be for a non uk citizen.
Sounds like she'd be an ideal candidate for policing tweets.
Reply 99
Original post by paul514
Shouldn’t be for a non uk citizen.

But she is a UK citizen. The government stated its intention to remove her citizenship but it turns out that may not be legal. That's kinda the whole point of this discussion!

Latest

Trending

Trending