The Student Room Group

How do i do a literature review??

Hello Guys, i need your help. I need to do a short literature about trust in the police but i'm not sure how to start or how to even do this.

Could anyone tell me how or show me an example on what it looks like because i dont have a clue

Thank you!
Original post by KamS24
Hello Guys, i need your help. I need to do a short literature about trust in the police but i'm not sure how to start or how to even do this.

Could anyone tell me how or show me an example on what it looks like because i dont have a clue

Thank you!

Hi @KamS24,
First in order to write a lit review its important to do some overall reading around the topic making notes on the key findings on each journal ect. you read. Then divide you lit review into categories eg. reasons for/against trust and make notes on which journals fit into these categories and start writing what these researchers findings were. Its important in a lit review to explore the broad opinions around a topic area.
Hope this helps!
-Jasmine (Lancaster Student Ambassador)
Original post by KamS24

Thank you!

Hi @KamS24 ,

Firstly I would write down what you want to search for, in this case "trust in the police". Then I would do a search of these terms into google scholar and get a broad understanding of what the literature is saying. To help keep track of which paper says what, you can use a spreadsheet where you can decide which headings you use but you could start with: Name of paper, published date, general list of paper.

After this, I would make a list of alternative terms or phrases for what you want to search and put this into google scholar and keep repeating this process till you have a better understanding of the topic. You may want to, every now and then, look back through your summary of the papers and try find patterns in what they are all saying.

Some alternative terms you could search for police could be: authority, police force, law enforcement or for trust you could use terms such as: faith, reliance etc.

I hope this helps and good luck!

There are many videos on Youtube too about literature reviews and how to go about doing one yourself if you need more advice.

Alia
University of Kent Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending