The Student Room Group

Big difference in download speed between phone and laptop

When I use my phone I get 60mbs download speed but never more than 30mbs on my laptop, I ve tested them from a similar distance in the same room. Is it likely that my WiFi card is damaged when my laptop isnt quite 2 years old?
Not necessarily it could be a number of things.
-the ghz range used on the laptop v the phone for example.

What phone is it?
What laptop is it?
Original post by claireestelle
When I use my phone I get 60mbs download speed but never more than 30mbs on my laptop, I ve tested them from a similar distance in the same room. Is it likely that my WiFi card is damaged when my laptop isnt quite 2 years old?
Original post by claireestelle

Your laptop is most likely using a 2.4ghz wifi card which is slower than a 5ghz wifi adapter that your phone has. If your wifi card was damaged it wouldn't work at all. How much was your laptop? And what phone do you have?
Original post by niteninja1
Not necessarily it could be a number of things.
-the ghz range used on the laptop v the phone for example.

What phone is it?
What laptop is it?

I ve a OnePlus 5 phone and the laptop is a hp pavilion something can't remember the model number for the life of me.

Original post by Ryanthom100
Your laptop is most likely using a 2.4ghz wifi card which is slower than a 5ghz wifi adapter that your phone has. If your wifi card was damaged it wouldn't work at all. How much was your laptop? And what phone do you have?

My laptop was £600 hence my annoyance really, my phone is a OnePlus 5.
Sorry I missed your reply, the router seems to be capable of both as is my laptop seemingly, they have the same SSID for both frequencies. Its set to dual band at the moment. I do have the option to turn off either 2.4 or 5ghz in the router settings seemingly.
I've managed to forcibly connect it to the 5ghz frequency and its working much better now, thank you so much
(edited 5 years ago)
The routers downstairs and I don't often use my laptop upstairs, if i did there's a wifi extender plugged in in the upstairs hallway so hopefully it won't need to revert back.
Thats a very good point because if the extender is only on 2.4 and uses the same SSID its possible the laptop has been connecting tk that rather than the router.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending