The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Oh and I dont think the show is being axed cos of that. I'm sure there are way more incidents. I think viewership has gone down, or Jeremy put his foot in his mouth and lost investors/sponsors or whatever. I remember there was an old woman who was accused by her adult daughter for trying to kill her! Jezza literally did NOTHING to solve this, he made it worse, gave the woman a good lashing for it and took the daughter's side, I remember it like yesterday. And then had the old woman booed, and she limped off stage to hide with her cane :s-smilie: some time later the daughter returns on the show saying her mother died from an illness :s-smilie: and Jezza was tryna be all supportive.

Another incident was when Jezza told this young lad off for being a deadbeat, when the guy swore he's not and that he's not the dad and the woman sleeps around. The woman comes back and does a dad test, and the poor guy wasnt even the father. He had a literal breakdown, so finally Jez told the girl off :colonhash:

Oh and another time...these girls came on stage saying this girl sent her photos of a dead baby. And that the girl lost her own baby and had a funeral for it so the girls damaged the grave...the girl ended up losing her family, they called her sick and vile. Her whole family fell apart over the course of a half hour..Jezza entertains nonsense..

Not to mention all the other guests who expose their very private matters because they think this drama is a moneymaker. It's not. How can you come on there with no teeth in ur head literally rattling because ur a drug addict, fighting ur family, because you think Jez, a total unqualified instigator, will help you? :rofl: the only thing he should do are the dad tests. Revealing secrets, confessions, and those segments where people just come to "hash it out" need to be binned.

Its no bother to Jeremy Kyle, guy will sit on his millions.
And if the mental health impact is longer term, then how are producers supposed to help their former guests - for the rest of their lives? This possibly highlights the importance of pre-show screening, but if the issues are inherent to the premise of the show then I suppose the issue will never change. Thanks for the point about production companies, very insightful.
Original post by Andrew97
I’m not sure about after show care on these programmes? How long is it reasonable for ITV to be looking after its former participants?

Moreover with some shows the broadcaster is not the same as the people who produce the programme. Take the GBBO, it’s produced by Love productions but broadcast by channel 4. Who’s responsible there?
Original post by Bang Outta Order
Oh and I dont think the show is being axed cos of that. I'm sure there are way more incidents. I think viewership has gone down, or Jeremy put his foot in his mouth and lost investors/sponsors or whatever. I remember there was an old woman who was accused by her adult daughter for trying to kill her! Jezza literally did NOTHING to solve this, he made it worse, gave the woman a good lashing for it and took the daughter's side, I remember it like yesterday. And then had the old woman booed, and she limped off stage to hide with her cane :s-smilie: some time later the daughter returns on the show saying her mother died from an illness :s-smilie: and Jezza was tryna be all supportive.

Another incident was when Jezza told this young lad off for being a deadbeat, when the guy swore he's not and that he's not the dad and the woman sleeps around. The woman comes back and does a dad test, and the poor guy wasnt even the father. He had a literal breakdown, so finally Jez told the girl off :colonhash:

Oh and another time...these girls came on stage saying this girl sent her photos of a dead baby. And that the girl lost her own baby and had a funeral for it so the girls damaged the grave...the girl ended up losing her family, they called her sick and vile. Her whole family fell apart over the course of a half hour..Jezza entertains nonsense..

Not to mention all the other guests who expose their very private matters because they think this drama is a moneymaker. It's not. How can you come on there with no teeth in ur head literally rattling because ur a drug addict, fighting ur family, because you think Jez, a total unqualified instigator, will help you? :rofl: the only thing he should do are the dad tests. Revealing secrets, confessions, and those segments where people just come to "hash it out" need to be binned.

Its no bother to Jeremy Kyle, guy will sit on his millions.

Thanks for the response - you perhaps have more insight in to the show than I do! Do you think this problem expands to YouTube and other forms of social media. People willingly reveal very personal problems on line in lieu of 'storytimes' - not out of line with the content on the Jeremy Kyle show - on a platform that will too exist forever. You can pull out your phone and ruin someone's reputation as is done on the Jeremy Kyle Show. Can this issue ever be resolved? Or does it just shift on to a new platform?
Original post by king•axolotl
It's my years of being forced to agree with things I disagree with things at debate club, I swear! Anyway, how do you suppose we decide which shows are exploitative of their guests and which aren't? Surely all shows have an element of detriment to those who appear on them, where do we draw the line?

To be glib I suspect that line moves constantly and 'totally depends'. Parallel to the established line of law and process we seem to have 'Have you seriously pissed enough people off for it to matter?' and that seems pretty socially consistent. IMO anyway. Many would say the JK show has been on thin ice for a long long time.
i just have too many things going on xx

which exams did u have? how's it going? :yes:
Thanks for the response - you perhaps have more insight in to the show than I do! Do you think this problem expands to YouTube and other forms of social media. People willingly reveal very personal problems on line in lieu of 'storytimes' - not out of line with the content on the Jeremy Kyle show - on a platform that will too exist forever. You can pull out your phone and ruin someone's reputation as is done on the Jeremy Kyle Show. Can this issue ever be resolved? Or does it just shift on to a new platform?

...did u bait me into helping you with ur coursework? :hmmm:
Definitely agree. As @Bang Outta Order outlined, this certainly isn’t an isolated incident, and reflects a history of mistreatment. It’s subject issues, I suppose, often inherently ‘cross the line’ by publicly associating the guests with very personal, embarrassing, ‘socially unacceptable’ and reputation-damaging matters.
Original post by StriderHort
To be glib I suspect that line moves constantly and 'totally depends'. Parallel to the established line of law and process we seem to have 'Have you seriously pissed enough people off for it to matter?' and that seems pretty socially consistent. IMO anyway. Many would say the JK show has been on thin ice for a long long time.
Ah yes I’ve been exposed. I’ll be sure to Harvard reference @Bang Outta Order on my EPQ. Trust me, I always reference properly.

My only A-Level with coursework is History, and that needs to be over a 100-year period. Sadly, Jeremy Kyle is 14. Tempting though.
...did u bait me into helping you with ur coursework? :hmmm:

But thanks a lot for your responses, very interesting!
yeah. but clearly when u get those guests on the show who keep coming back and u can see how they've deteriorated over time, that the show does people no good. i knew a couple people who went whether as a guest or audience member, and i heard...simply heard..that they get paid like 100 quid to appear...lol but i also heard they get paid nothing except a night on the town and 15 minutes of fame which they then could benefit from like Cash Me Ousside girl did on Dr Phil. But of course fame never happened to any of them.
You'd have to pay most people loads to get on the show to do that to themselves, but then apparently those people dont get paid. It seems as if they really value their dramas and facebook statuses so much that they have to go on the show to "solve everything once and for all." :rofl:
Original post by zerya
I like both shows, but if Jeremy Kyle is cancelled due to one suicide in fourteen years, then Love Island should be cancelled due to two suicides in four years. It's double standards.

lol people on there offed themselves?? who...? i never watch it..
Reply 31
lol people on there offed themselves?? who...? i never watch it..

Sophie Gradon & Mike Thalassitis
Agreed love island is a pile of **** and people feel the need to look perfect pushing them to suicide, everyone is unique, not everyone is perfect. Perfect is an illusion of fantasy but mental health is key reality
Original post by zerya
Sophie Gradon & Mike Thalassitis

uh huh...

while love island sure is trash, i dont think love island has anything to do with their deaths. people have their problems. love island isnt about problems or people's personal lives, it's just a fake dating show where people go on with their real names and can easily become well paid brands, social media/reality stars.

jeremy kyle is about people's problems and personal lives, and there is very little chance of them becoming paid or stars, so it makes sense for them to feel humiliated and regretful going on.
The Jeremy Kyle show has been recently axed from its slot on ITV after one guest, 63-year-old Peter Symond committed suicide after his appearance on the show. He is understood to be one of many former guests who have had struggled with mental health problems after an appearance on the controversial tabloid talk-show.

Questions are now being raised across the TV industry as to whether sufficient after-care provisions are being but in place on reality TV programs.

The argument could be made that if The Jeremy Kyle Show should be axed after a guest suicide (a programme with 16 series and 3,320 episodes), then should ITV too axe other reality programs. A stark example being Love Island, a program with 1/4 the number of series, 5% the number of episodes and 2 recent suicides.

This too could also be to some, a class issue. The Jeremy Kyle Show, a show with a primarily working-class demographic is axed for reasons existent in shows like Love Island with a wealthier demographic, which both tackle issues in the lives of their respective audiences.

I would be interested to hear other peoples' opinions on the matter. I myself am unsure. Do you believe that Jeremy Kyle should have been cancelled? Do you believe that other reality TV shows, like Love Island, should also be looked at under a similar lens? Do you think that this shows bias against the viewers of the show and their background?

PS: This is a very sensitive issue, and I would like to pass on severe condolences to all the victims and families of those affected by suicide. I would like to link the Samaritans should anyone else be affected by depression and suicidal thoughts. https://www.samaritans.org/how-we-can-help/contact-samaritan/.

If you are going to axe JK for one suicide in what 15 years over 10’000 guests then 3 dying in a couple of years of love island should be open and shut.

They shouldn’t have closed the show
You'd have to pay most people loads to get on the show to do that to themselves, but then apparently those people dont get paid. It seems as if they really value their dramas and facebook statuses so much that they have to go on the show to "solve everything once and for all." :rofl:

I think it was the benefits people who clamped down maybe a decade ago on the cash payments for shows like these, their view was you're either unemployed and looking for a job constantly or swanning about on tv being paid to chuck chairs at people. And tbh a lot of the people who appeared on it likely don't have the skills to refute such an accusation.
I have never seen love island or even a trailer for it and the Wikipedia page doesnt help with making an argument for it to be cancelled. To me, it just seems like another fake reality show.

The Jeremy Kyle show was awful though, despite some of it clearly being fake. He takes on issues which are normally dealt with family and relationship counsellors and embarasses them on tv. Imagine a counsellor yelling at people the way he does.

A lie detector is as good as my guess and he treats it as if it is some scientifically proven test. On the YouTube channel, the thumbnails are ridiculing people, whilst he says he helps people, it's quite disgusting.
However, I don't think the show should have ended for the suicide of one man. Maybe for other reasons, a long time ago.
I agree that Love Island should go.
Do you think possibly those on the show possibly might feel that family counselling and other forms of therapy are inaccessible so see JK as a way in which their problems can be solved? Again, I agree the show is exploitative if it’s guests, and the use of lie detectors as gospel has always concerned me.
Original post by NotNotBatman
I have never seen love island or even a trailer for it and the Wikipedia page doesnt help with making an argument for it to be cancelled. To me, it just seems like another fake reality show.

The Jeremy Kyle show was awful though, despite some of it clearly being fake. He takes on issues which are normally dealt with family and relationship counsellors and embarasses them on tv. Imagine a counsellor yelling at people the way he does.

A lie detector is as good as my guess and he treats it as if it is some scientifically proven test. On the YouTube channel, the thumbnails are ridiculing people, whilst he says he helps people, it's quite disgusting.
However, I don't think the show should have ended for the suicide of one man. Maybe for other reasons, a long time ago.
Do you think possibly those on the show possibly might feel that family counselling and other forms of therapy are inaccessible so see JK as a way in which their problems can be solved? Again, I agree the show is exploitative if it’s guests, and the use of lie detectors as gospel has always concerned me.

Yes, some go on there to seek counselling because of NHS waiting times. I believe that private counselling is offered after, but then go on to be called "a liar" and "a cheat" who "doesnt deserve blah blah blah". It's like those channel 5 shows with the bailiffs and the benefits; like how is it entertaining to watch people struggling to live ?

Latest

Trending

Trending