The Student Room Group
At the Student's Union
University of Wolverhampton
Wolverhampton
Visit website

Wolverhampton University Leap course

Hi,

Has anyone done the Leap course at Wolverhampton University? I haven’t got my Maths and English qualifications, but I’ve been told I can et onto this course without any questions. Does anyone know if this is true or not?

Also if anyone knows any centres to study my Maths and English in the Wolverhampton area.

Hi, I did the leap course in 2014 and went on to do adult nursing for a year then took a two year break but reapplied for paramedic science and I start again in sept.
I loved the leap course, it really gets you set up for writing assessments and how to write them whilst understanding the basics in health and wellbeing.
For me to apply at the time I needed level 2 in both maths and English.
Try you local college for functional skills level 2 in maths and English. I did evening classes at South Staffordshire college. I know they still do them now as my sister has just passed her English with them.
At the Student's Union
University of Wolverhampton
Wolverhampton
Visit website
I’ve just looked and you need a level 2 English and maths or equivalent. If your wishing to go on to a nursing degree or paramedic science. Theses level 2s will not be added to the degree you need to have the qualification before applying.
(edited 4 years ago)
Hi,
Thanks for your reply, I have tried to get onto the leap course but it is unavailable now, they do other courses but that’s for 4 years, without doing the actually course you initially Interested in.

I’m wanting to go back college this September and do my Maths and English level 2 along side my access to higher education. Would I need anything else to get onto the Paramedic Science course?

I’ve not been in education for a very long time as I struggle with my spelling and ready. I know I would have to ask to be tested for Dyslexia as this is what I feel I have, but I am now wanting to go back into education do finally do the Paramedic Science course I’ve always wanted to do. Thanks :smile:
Original post by Net17011990
Hi, I did the leap course in 2014 and went on to do adult nursing for a year then took a two year break but reapplied for paramedic science and I start again in sept.
I loved the leap course, it really gets you set up for writing assessments and how to write them whilst understanding the basics in health and wellbeing.
For me to apply at the time I needed level 2 in both maths and English.
Try you local college for functional skills level 2 in maths and English. I did evening classes at South Staffordshire college. I know they still do them now as my sister has just passed her English with them.
Thanks for your message, if I did the Maths and English level 2 and did the access to higher education along side it would that get me into uni afterwards? Thanks :smile:
I’ve just looked and you need a level 2 English and maths or equivalent. If your wishing to go on to a nursing degree or paramedic science. Theses level 2s will not be added to the degree you need to have the qualification before applying.
Yes that would get you into university on paramedic science.
You might have more of a chance getting into college for September and do all three qualifications. I know if you applied to university now you would need already your maths and English level 2s before starting.
So I would try and get into college ASAP so you can apply for next year paramedic science.
Also if you did the access course at college you can apply to 5 universities.
I have dyslexia hun and the support and help is there at university. My spelling is bad because the way I pronounce words are not the way they are spelt but I never let it get to me anymore. I still manage to pass my first year nursing with 85%.
Yes that would get you into university on paramedic science.
You might have more of a chance getting into college for September and do all three qualifications. I know if you applied to university now you would need already your maths and English level 2s before starting.
So I would try and get into college ASAP so you can apply for next year paramedic science.
Also if you did the access course at college you can apply to 5 universities.
I have dyslexia hun and the support and help is there at university. My spelling is bad because the way I pronounce words are not the way they are spelt but I never let it get to me anymore. I still manage to pass my first year nursing with 85%.

Thank you for your message it does really help me out. Yes I’ve got an appointment with a local college next month. To see if I can do my Maths and English plus the Access to Higher Education first before applying for uni. I’m just worried because like you say I write things down how I think they are spelt and get it completely wrong, but when I see the word first I completely get it. I find it so hard to focus and it gets me upset but I’m hoping if I get into college they will help me with this before applying to Uni. Thanks for the reply :smile:
When you go to university or college, you can ask for an dyslexia assessment they will send you for one free of charge. Then when you apply for student finance they will make an appointment to see one of their assesses who will see your dyslexia report and you will sort out what kind of support you need and put it into place before starting your degree. I’ve just had mine so I am getting a new laptop with programs on the laptop to help with my learning like spelling which I am also getting a mic to attach to my laptop to record all the lectures and store them on the laptop so I can refer back to them and some other things like a one to one tutor each week to help me with assignments to give me guidance. There is nothing to worry about but you have to speak up about it and accept it because you’ll get a lot of help if you do. I was the same never did any good at school and no one noticed it. I never in a million years thought I would get into university or even pass my driving test but I have and I will never let dyslexia define me as a person. You can do it, it is more hard for us because we can’t control what we get wrong an have a massive argument with yourself in your head but at the end of it what a massive accomplishment we have achieved when we finish it. It can be done.
I don’t know why but reading your message it just gets me emotional, I don’t think a lot of people understand how hard and difficult it is when you suffer with Dyslexia, it’s took over my life and that’s why I’ve not managed to go back to college or progress in my career because I find it so difficult to understand or to take things in. I am good at practical things but just rubbish at written or speaking in front of a group 😭 I will apply for college and see if I can get some support before applying for Uni. When I apply for Uni where do you state if you are Dyslexic or if you need to be tested for it? Even on applications when it says do you have a disability eg dyslexic I put no. Because I don’t want it hold me back, I can still manage to do my job and the paper work side of it. But I try not to let it out unless I really have to. Only my partner knows how bad it is and how emotional I get just even thinking about it. It’s so silly but to me it matters so much and it’s took over my life. Thank you for the reply and it looks like you’ve done incredible with having the disability and you’ve manage to get the confidence to not let it take over your life which is amazing! Well done you :smile:
I can sympathise with you Hun. We have the same problem and I have been the same as you. Trying to hide it way but when I got to university I found out I wasn’t alone more people have it then you think.
No I didn't put it on my application for university because when I started I ask them to send me for an assessment as I knew I had dyslexia and now the support is unbelievable from university specially Wolverhampton university. They make it more easier for us to learn and achieve the best we can.
It was the university that identified I had dyslexia then sent me for the assessment. Then it all just fell into place.
I want my career as a paramedic so bad that I had to tell them that I think I had dyslexia because I accepted I needed the help to achieve it and they are and will help me.
Don’t let it hold you back start seeing it as a positive because it will help you get the career you want if you just accept the help. Which is hard for humans to accept help we are stubborn but that won’t help you achieving your dream job hun. It’s not shameful anymore to have dyslexia. I don’t care who I tell anymore if university has accepted me who cares what other people say. 😊
(edited 4 years ago)
By the way I am nearly 40 years old. I did my level 2s in 2013 and did the leap course 2014 then went on to adult nursing in 2015. So it’s taken me along time to get into learning again but I actually love it and going to university even tho it’s extra hard for people with dyslexia but that is what keeps me going. I have taken 2 years break due to personal reasons but I am so excited in returning in September. I have missed uni. 😀
I can sympathise with you Hun. We have the same problem and I have been the same as you. Trying to hide it way but when I got to university I found out I wasn’t alone more people have it then you think.
No I didn't put it on my application for university because when I started I ask them to send me for an assessment as I knew I had dyslexia and now the support is unbelievable from university specially Wolverhampton university. They make it more easier for us to learn and achieve the best we can.
It was the university that identified I had dyslexia then sent me for the assessment. Then it all just fell into place.
I want my career as a paramedic so bad that I had to tell them that I think I had dyslexia because I accepted I needed the help to achieve it and they are and will help me.
Don’t let it hold you back start seeing it as a positive because it will help you get the career you want if you just accept the help. Which is hard for humans to accept help we are stubborn but that won’t help you achieving your dream job hun. It’s not shameful anymore to have dyslexia. I don’t care who I tell anymore if university has accepted me who cares what other people say. 😊
It is a massive struggle and it’s something that has always had a massive impact on my life, but it’s only now I don’t want it to hold me back anymore. I want to go to University and become a Paramedic and believe in myself that I can do it. I hope I can active my goals with some support from the college and University I should be fine. You should be really proud of getting yourself into Uni and being where you are today. Well done you misses :smile: thanks for all the information you have given me. I will try and go to the Uni open day to see what support they could offer me when I apply next year. Thank you it was lovely speaking to you about it :smile:

By the way I am nearly 40 years old. I did my level 2s in 2013 and did the leap course 2014 then went on to adult nursing in 2015. So it’s taken me along time to get into learning again but I actually love it and going to university even tho it’s extra hard for people with dyslexia but that is what keeps me going. I have taken 2 years break due to personal reasons but I am so excited in returning in September. I have missed uni. 😀
No way! I’m only 25. I look back and wish I did things differently and look at people my age and think that should of been me, but when when I look at a mature student I think it’s fine studying later on in life. Aslong as you active the goals you set out to active and be the best person you can payable be then that is all that matters. It’s great you’ve gone back and not given up after all these years. It’s fantastic :smile:
Original post by DebbiePimblott
It is a massive struggle and it’s something that has always had a massive impact on my life, but it’s only now I don’t want it to hold me back anymore. I want to go to University and become a Paramedic and believe in myself that I can do it. I hope I can active my goals with some support from the college and University I should be fine. You should be really proud of getting yourself into Uni and being where you are today. Well done you misses :smile: thanks for all the information you have given me. I will try and go to the Uni open day to see what support they could offer me when I apply next year. Thank you it was lovely speaking to you about it :smile:
The best of luck Hun with everything. If you need any help in writing your personal statement when you apply to university I will be more than happy to help. My email is [email protected]
Original post by DebbiePimblott
Thank you so much, it’s been lovely chatting to you :smile: I wish you all the very best in your career :smile:
The best of luck Hun with everything. If you need any help in writing your personal statement when you apply to university I will be more than happy to help. My email is [email protected]

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending