The Student Room Group

England is into the world cup semi-finals and no one cares

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by CrownCopyright
Who’s was better rooneys last night or bronze?

Tough one but I think Bronze's was better.
Original post by YasudaSayo
Ask yourself why, when they play just as well as the men, if not better (which is what I saw today)

why? I've never even watched a whole match to even answer that. the mens football is more popular, easier to find on TV, man, they even got they're own video game (FIFA), it's promoted a lot more than women's football. the football magazines my brother used to get at a kid (match of the day of something) had only male footballers, all we're really exposed to is men's football.
Reply 22
Original post by Drewski
Yeah, no, it wasn't. It was a decent game, but let's not get carried away.

They scored a goal in under 3 minutes. I don't need to know **** about football to know that that's good.
Ask yourself why, when they play just as well as the men, if not better (which is what I saw today)

A completely subjective point from someone who admits they don't know anything about football...
Reply 24
Original post by Drewski
A completely subjective point from someone who admits they don't know anything about football...

A goal scored in under 3 minutes is objectively good play.
Reply 25
Original post by Leviathan1611
why? I've never even watched a whole match to even answer that. the mens football is more popular, easier to find on TV, man, they even got they're own video game (FIFA), it's promoted a lot more than women's football. the football magazines my brother used to get at a kid (match of the day of something) had only male footballers, all we're really exposed to is men's football.

True. And a big shame. Hopefully one day it will be equal
A goal scored in under 3 minutes is objectively good play.

No, it isn't.
Reply 27
Original post by Drewski
No, it isn't.

Better than anything the men's team did last year.
Omg true
Reply 29
You would be the same if you were not regarded as equal. Especially after such massive achievements.
You would be the same if you were not regarded as equal. Especially after such massive achievements.

Arguably, it's not that massive for them. So far they've only matched their performance at the last world cup, and performed as expected for a team ranked in the top 2 or 3 in the world.
Reply 31
I think that the Womens World Cup has been very good this year and the standard has been high. I don't think aimlessly comparing male and female football gets anyone anywhere if I'm being honest.

I watch far more mens football (several times per week) but can fully appreciate women's football and have thoroughly enjoyed the World Cup, even if Scotland were knocked out in the group stages.
Reply 32
At the end of the day, people who know more than 'absolutely ****all' about football care more about how England perform at the highest stage, because they value high-quality football.
Men's football is clearly better than women's football and England men are better than England women.
So even if England men perform worse than England women, fans care more about England men since they are representing England at a higher standard of football.
Reply 33
Yes, facts are facts and that is fine. What upsets me is the disregard for women's football. I don't know a single person who has been watching it. This is more due to the fact that men's football is promoted more than women's than a difference in quality/performance. And that is brutally unfair.
I think in a couple years from now as the female game develops, it will in turn gain popularity
I haven't seen any of their games....
I don't really watch football - not my sport - but I wish women's football (and women's sport in general) was advertised more. I've heard and seen bits and pieces from the Women's World Cup... they're amazingly talented and the women's team generally do a lot better than the men's team too! To anybody who says that it's not the same standard as the men's football...well, I look forward to seeing you getting to the semi finals of a World Cup if it's that easy.
Sorry but if I wanted to watch sub-par football I have a lot to choose from. Good for the women if they are doing well but I don't really care that much to watch them play football when at the end of the day they would probably get destroyed by the male U18s.
Fair play, but say if female athletes and male athletes, both of Olympic status, competed in a 100m race, you'd most likely expect the men to win on average...that's just how it works. However, it doesn't take away from the sheer talent of the female athletes, does it? At least not in my opinion... if you understand what I'm saying. It's not necessarily sub-par.
Original post by jamesbarry17
Sorry but if I wanted to watch sub-par football I have a lot to choose from. Good for the women if they are doing well but I don't really care that much to watch them play football when at the end of the day they would probably get destroyed by the male U18s.
Makes me really sad. Just because it's women's football no one cares. This time last year when the men's team got into the semi-finals everyone went mental but because it's women this time round, no one cares. I don't care if you say it's because it's less entertaining or whatever because they don't play as well as the men's team. Personally I don't think that's true. Today we scored a goal in under 3 minutes and no one cares, most people won't even be aware of it. It's just so sad to me.

Truth is it just doesn't hold the majesty that the men's world cup always has, it's been around for longer, the sport is more male based by nature, so it's natural for this to happen.

Quick Reply

Latest