The Student Room Group

Results Day Worries

So it’s been just over two weeks since my final exam and everything has been great....until now. I’m constantly worried about two of my GCSEs in particular: maths and physics. Since I want to do them two for a levels, I need a 7 in both (7 in maths is required for both) and I am so paranoid that I won’t get it. Sitting the exams I felt fine, there wasn’t a particular paper that I thought screwed me over as there usually is, but you can never properly judge it. I think part the reason why I’m worrying is because there is nothing I can do about it now. I know that’s typically a reason why people don’t worry, but it’s the fact the I’m now stuck with whatever I get, and can’t do anything about it. I could always get it remarked but that costs a lot of money, and also with maths and physics, you either have the answer or don’t, unlike English where it can be interpreted differently. Perhaps I’m just worrying too much over nothing, but if I don’t get into these two a levels, then there is no point doing the third (Product Design) as I mainly want to go down the engineering route of that career. So the long and short of it is, any advice to conquer fear of results day?
Original post by Himynameisdaisy
So it’s been just over two weeks since my final exam and everything has been great....until now. I’m constantly worried about two of my GCSEs in particular: maths and physics. Since I want to do them two for a levels, I need a 7 in both (7 in maths is required for both) and I am so paranoid that I won’t get it. Sitting the exams I felt fine, there wasn’t a particular paper that I thought screwed me over as there usually is, but you can never properly judge it. I think part the reason why I’m worrying is because there is nothing I can do about it now. I know that’s typically a reason why people don’t worry, but it’s the fact the I’m now stuck with whatever I get, and can’t do anything about it. I could always get it remarked but that costs a lot of money, and also with maths and physics, you either have the answer or don’t, unlike English where it can be interpreted differently. Perhaps I’m just worrying too much over nothing, but if I don’t get into these two a levels, then there is no point doing the third (Product Design) as I mainly want to go down the engineering route of that career. So the long and short of it is, any advice to conquer fear of results day?

Why worry about things you have no control over? Your fate has already been sealed, you have to accept the good and the bad. Other doors will always open and when you look back, you will feel happy. I wanted to do medicine, but didn't get the grades. now I manage vast sums of money as a hobby while doing a PhD. I am totally happy with what I do and you should be as well.

Always work hard and let the universe open the doors for you, do not be attached to inaction but work without the need for the fruits of action. You'll be surprised where you will end up.

I remember a verse from the bhagavad gita, where arjuna is questioning whether it is moral as a soldier to kill all these people. Krishna tells him whether you kill them or not, their fate has already been sealed, they will die on the battlefield. All you have to do is do your duty as a soldier. The same applies to you, all you have to do is your duty as a student.

The same issue plagued Robert J Oppenheimer when they tested the trinity atom bomb, he knew many thousands would die, but if he didn't develop the bomb, someone else would. Prolonging the war without the bomb would have killed millions in Japan, their fate was sealed.
(edited 4 years ago)
you've done your best, and gcses aren't the end of the world. just enjoy your summer and try not to think about results day.

Often you’ve done better than you’ve expected. I’m worried about my A level ones too
Reply 5
Original post by entertainmyfaith
you've done your best, and gcses aren't the end of the world. just enjoy your summer and try not to think about results day.

PRSOM!
Reply 6
Mind you A-Levels are really important as well if not more important than GCSEs. So keep your cool and everything will be fine !
GCSE pretty much means nothing, coming from someone with 7A*'s and 3 A's. Employers don't care, unis only care a bit and teachers/fellow students will have forgotten you within a matter of months. Any poor performance at GCSE can easily be overturned by doing well at A-level, and literally anyone who is worried about GCSE's will have performed to a decent standard because all you have to do is vaguely care about them to get fairly good grades (unlike at A-level where you have to sell your soul for a C), just think about all the people across the UK who didn't even revise for a single exam.

Forget about it and enjoy your summer before you start A-levels, at which point you will long for when you had the time to do literally anything.
Everyone else waiting for results is in the same anxious state at the moment, and that's totally normal.

Don't panic. Whatever the outcome, you CAN retake GCSEs if you need to. Whatever happens, its fixable, somehow.
I am in a similar situation with the maths and physics. I would say to focus on the ones you've done well in (e.g. when I feel the feelings of anxiety about if I'll be able to pursue those A-Levels, I think about RS or chemistry where I feel like I did relatively well even though they aren't my options). What's important to remember is that after the exams, you'll feel as though they're the be all and end all but it's been a few weeks and what I've grown to realise, after a few induction days, a large number of schools will accept you, even with grades lower than a 7. And some are really great. I would advise to occupy yourself because you'll forget about those worries for a bit, especially if you're having fun. NCS is a great programme I'm taking to forget about the worries and even getting a job may be a route to take (earn money and stay busy). Hope that helps to some degree🤷😊
(edited 4 years ago)
Please do u mind explaining to me how?
Original post by maachu_pichuu
Why worry about things you have no control over? Your fate has already been sealed, you have to accept the good and the bad. Other doors will always open and when you look back, you will feel happy. I wanted to do medicine, but didn't get the grades. now I manage vast sums of money as a hobby while doing a PhD. I am totally happy with what I do and you should be as well.

Always work hard and let the universe open the doors for you, do not be attached to inaction but work without the need for the fruits of action. You'll be surprised where you will end up.

Quick Reply

Latest