The Student Room Group

Is it bad to re-watch a lot of movies?

I have a list of movies that I re-watch frequently, annually too. I enjoy watching them mostly for nostalgic effect and some are just the greatest films ever made imo (rarely any good ones come out these days).
I just feel like I'm stuck in the past or wasting my time and feel guilty after rewatching.
Do other people do it too and feel this way?
What are some of your favorite movies that you constantly re-watch?

Examples of mine are:

Lord of the Rings trilogy
Star Wars series
Harry Potter series
The Dark Knight trilogy
American Pie series
Love actually
Pirates of the Caribbean series
21 Jump street
James Bond movies (my favorite ones)
American Beauty
Inception
Interstellar
Ferris Beuller's day off
Die Hard
E.T
Easy A

and a lot more..
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I’ve rewatched Pulp Fiction and Training Day a few times. Nothing wrong with rewatching
i do it all the time. nothing wrong with nostalgia
Reply 3
Inception is my favourite movie of all time but i limit myself to watching it to every few years so that i forget the story and can see it (almost) as a first-timer.

have you seen Juno? you should add that to your list :smile:

to answer your question, no i don't really watch movies. don't have a netflix or a tv or anything. probably see three movies a year. :tongue:
Original post by muf_mur
I have a list of movies that I re-watch frequently, annually too. I enjoy watching them mostly for nostalgic effect and some are just the greatest films ever made imo (rarely any good ones come out these days).
I just feel like I'm stuck in the past or wasting my time and feel guilty after rewatching.

Examples of mine are:

Star Wars series
Harry Potter series
The Dark Knight trilogy
American Pie series
Love actually
21 Jump street
American Beauty
Inception
Interstellar
Ferris Beuller's day off
Die Hard
E.T
Easy A

and a lot more..

OMG no I rewatch my fave movies all the time! Especially ones from my childhood like jurrassic park and disney movies haha!!
Sophia :smile:
Original post by muf_mur

Examples of mine are:

Star Wars series
Harry Potter series
The Dark Knight trilogy
American Pie series
Love actually
21 Jump street
American Beauty
Inception
Interstellar
Ferris Beuller's day off
Die Hard
E.T
Easy A

and a lot more..

Nah, nothing wrong with doing that.

I re-watch the Bond franchise now and again, and it never gets old for me.
Reply 6
Nothing wrong with nostalgia. I used to rewatch a lot of the same films on VHS and DVD before I had access to good internet. Can’t do that any more though as the variety of films out there is too much to ignore.

Nowadays I try and watch new films every time. If I really enjoy a film in the cinema I’ll watch it a second time when it becomes available online, like all the MCU films. Occasionally I’ll rewatch things like Star Wars, James Bond, Die Hard, Christopher Nolan films and some of the best 90’s Hindi films. But I prefer to give priority to films I haven’t seen before.
It is not a shame to re-watch films, all the more they are good ones. As in

Forrest Gump
The Money Pit
Groundhog Day
Batman The Dark Knight
James Bond movies
Dr Strange
Deadpool 1 and 2

Even if I know every scene into the minute detail, that is not a hindrance to rewatch.
i always rewatch maze runner, or movies i watched AGES ago.
It's an easy trap to fall into. Since 2017 I've tried to limit the amount of rewatching I do, I've watched a few hundred new films since then and discovered a lot that are now in my all time favorites and a few subgenres that I'd never have found otherwise. Make it a goals-oriented thing and keep track with a site like letterboxd, and it can be a fun way of expanding your horizons!

Except for the Grand Budapest Hotel, I'll watch that whenever I get the urge and love it more each time.
I used to be one of those people who would be asked their favourite film and say stuff like "you can't have a single favourite film! It depends on the genre or your mood or who you're watching it with"

Nope, not anymore. Grand Budapest is my all time favourite film. I love it and it's probably the only film where I like it more after every viewing, no matter how many times.
i watched insidius so many times i love it also prison break
Despite the amount of films I watch, I’ve actually never seen Grand Budapest Hotel. By no stretch of the imagination I’m sure you would recommend it. :tongue:
Reply 13
Original post by Joleee
Inception is my favourite movie of all time but i limit myself to watching it to every few years so that i forget the story and can see it (almost) as a first-timer.

have you seen Juno? you should add that to your list :smile:

to answer your question, no i don't really watch movies. don't have a netflix or a tv or anything. probably see three movies a year. :tongue:

The first time Inception came out I watched it 3 times to make sure I hadn't missed anything then felt satisfied :tongue:. Nolan films just seem to get better with every rewatch haha.
I watched Juno a few years back but haven't seen it again.

Original post by hallamstudents
OMG no I rewatch my fave movies all the time! Especially ones from my childhood like jurrassic park and disney movies haha!!
Sophia :smile:

Jurassic Park is a must too. John Williams' music gives me the chills every time!
Original post by asif007
Nothing wrong with nostalgia. I used to rewatch a lot of the same films on VHS and DVD before I had access to good internet. Can’t do that any more though as the variety of films out there is too much to ignore.

Nowadays I try and watch new films every time. If I really enjoy a film in the cinema I’ll watch it a second time when it becomes available online, like all the MCU films. Occasionally I’ll rewatch things like Star Wars, James Bond, Die Hard, Christopher Nolan films and some of the best 90’s Hindi films. But I prefer to give priority to films I haven’t seen before.

I've tried this too. I put myself on a 6 month hiatus, new movies and series only. I ended up spending less time watching TV since there was so little I actually enjoyed. I do try to watch most of the blockbuster films in cinema.

I love Grand Budapest Hotel too!
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by CHANELDIAMONDS
i watched insidius so many times i love it also prison break

To be fair Prison Break may a good TV series (never watched), however we are still talking about films here.
Original post by Kallisto
To be fair Prison Break may a good TV series (never watched), however we are still talking about films here.

i know but not a crime to mention a show is it
Ive re watched a few as well.
The ones ive re watched include- matilda, madeline, the herbie films (especially herbie fully loaded).
Reply 17
Original post by Kallisto

Original post by CHANELDIAMONDS
i know but not a crime to mention a show is it

Prison Break is one of the first tv shows I watched, definitely one of my favorites. My brother was watching it a few months ago and I'd sit with him during the best parts haha.
I probably should have mentioned tv shows as well as they take up so much time but I've been able to control my urge to rewatch my top shows.
Original post by muf_mur

Examples of mine are:

Star Wars series
Harry Potter series
The Dark Knight trilogy
American Pie series
Love actually
21 Jump street
American Beauty
Inception
Interstellar
Ferris Beuller's day off
Die Hard
E.T
Easy A

and a lot more..

well if you like the movies then its fine i have been re-watching coraline since 2nd grade that was about 7 years ago. so i don't think its bad i do the same thing with alot of other movies cause they make me happy
I think it's a good idea to re-watch films you really love in better quality than you saw them last time, if possible. Lots of older movies are being remastered in 4K these days, and watching them on a big screen TV at home is enough incentive to revisit some of your older favourites. I plan to watch all of Star Wars in 4K with 7.1 sound. Also Hobbs & Shaw, Endgame, the Christopher Nolan Batman films and Interstellar. I revisited some of my favourite Nolan films recently: Inception, The Prestige and Dunkirk (although in 1080p, not 4K) so I shall be continuing that streak. Lord Of The Rings, Arnold's Total Recall and the first Blade film came out on 4K Bluray recently so those will be good to see at some point in future. However, I think it's worth listening to some reviews of the video and audio quality of older movies that have been remastered in 4K, so you can see whether there's much of a difference between the 1080p and 4K versions. For example, Scarface has been out in 4K for a while but I chose to rewatch it in 1080p because reviews said the 4K version wasn't that much of a step up from the 1080p to justify watching it in 4K. :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest