The Student Room Group

Is my progress saved on Xbox itself if I’ve lost my games disk?

I’ve lost my GTA 5 and I’m worried about my online success going all to waste .Is all my progress saved in the Xbox itself , which will only require me to buy a new disk or through the store on Xbox one?Or will I not get it back without the disk I played on?ps.Iam more worried about my online account , not story mode.
You're good. Just get another disk. I went though like 2 copies of overwatch before I brought the online version.
for online games it'll be tied to your account.

save data (settings, single-player progress) etc. is always stored on the console. not sure about on xbox but on playstation, it's also automatically uploaded to the cloud.

the idea of save data on the actual media itself was only a thing with cartridges.
Reply 3
So it’s all just saved on Xbox /it’s cloud?
Original post by Guru Jason
You're good. Just get another disk. I went though like 2 copies of overwatch before I brought the online version.
Reply 4
Thankyou , you’ve just clarified it all! :smile:
Original post by _gcx
for online games it'll be tied to your account.

save data (settings, single-player progress) etc. is always stored on the console. not sure about on xbox but on playstation, it's also automatically uploaded to the cloud.

the idea of save data on the actual media itself was only a thing with cartridges.
Original post by Flufiness
So it’s all just saved on Xbox /it’s cloud?

Yeah, to your hard drive and to the server of what ever the game has. The disk is basically authorisation to play.
Reply 6
I have another question then , as I always move houses and I would like to avoid loosing the saved stuff on Xbox if anything was to go wrong.Lets say my Xbox broke /something happened to it that I wouldn’t be able to use it no longer, would I just buy a new Xbox and log in with my current Xbox account -meaning I would retrieve all my played games and their saves?or no, as the things saved are crypted to the Xboxes hard drive that I’am on now ?
Yeah, to your hard drive and to the server of what ever the game has. The disk is basically authorisation to play.
I have another question then , as I always move houses and I would like to avoid loosing the saved stuff on Xbox if anything was to go wrong.Lets say my Xbox broke /something happened to it that I wouldn’t be able to use it no longer, would I just buy a new Xbox and log in with my current Xbox account -meaning I would retrieve all my played games and their saves?or no, as the things saved are crypted to the Xboxes hard drive that I’am on now ?

I don't think save file would be recoverable unless you save them to the cloud or something online. If you dont have a removerable HDD, think about getting one. I got a 2tb HDD for 99 quid.
Reply 8
Oh okay thanks , guess that’s what I’m looking for .Could you send me a link of one so I pick and buy a correct item ?ive just looked on eBay and found something under that name for Xbox for £18 so I’m guessing it’s not the right thing.
I don't think save file would be recoverable unless you save them to the cloud or something online. If you dont have a removerable HDD, think about getting one. I got a 2tb HDD for 99 quid.
Oh okay thanks , guess that’s what I’m looking for .Could you send me a link of one so I pick and buy a correct item ?ive just looked on eBay and found something under that name for Xbox for £18 so I’m guessing it’s not the right thing.

https://www.game.co.uk/en/m/accessories/xbox-one/memory/

Obvs game can be expensive so if you want to get one from somewhere else, this shows you what you need.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest