The Student Room Group

Need advice about career sectors

I would say im interested in fashion , business and technology.
My first interest is fashion design specifically designing.
My second is business specifically marketing and how to actually run a business as I would like to own a fashion business. Which is something I've wanted to do since primary school. I really don't want to end up as a teacher as that would be my nightmare.

My third is computer science science specifically im interested in software development and games development which I know is a very niche sector. I would like to know if and how AI can be applied to designing items.

I was going to apply for speech and language therapy at university but my work experience really put me off applying and made me rethink my options.

I really want to have a secure job, I don't mind doing extra overtime would prefer a monday to friday job. Im not someone who wants to regularly bring work home with me unless i literally work from home . I have looked at jobs related to economics the subject itself is interesting but the roles aren't for me. Business wise I am alittle lost to as what jobs I would enjoy as when it comes to business I have only really envisioned myself running a business .
I feel like I would enjoy marketing, project or product management and maybe business development.

I could see myself working in tech but I feel like people around me don't feel like it's something I can achieve.

My plan isn't to take fashion design at uni unless it's a masters degree or just some short courses if I really want to.
I was thinking about doing a marketing and management degree but I'm unsure . I feel like I would really want to do a degree which helps me understand how and why a business works and how to grow it .
I feel like Computer science degree would make me feel secure and really advance my interest in the tech world.
Its really important to me that I can be independent and have career progression.

If anyone has advice and if I am looking at this inthe wrong way it would really help to know or any or any Jobs that combine these job sectors.
Original post by Rose_99
My first interest is fashion design specifically designing.
My second is business specifically marketing and how to actually run a business as I would like to own a fashion business. Which is something I've wanted to do since primary school. I really don't want to end up as a teacher as that would be my nightmare.

My third is computer science science specifically im interested in software development and games development which I know is a very niche sector. I would like to know if and how AI can be applied to designing items.

I was going to apply for speech and language therapy at university but my work experience really put me off applying and made me rethink my options.

I really want to have a secure job, I don't mind doing extra overtime would prefer a monday to friday job. Im not someone who wants to regularly bring work home with me unless i literally work from home . I have looked at jobs related to economics the subject itself is interesting but the roles aren't for me. Business wise I am alittle lost to as what jobs I would enjoy as when it comes to business I have only really envisioned myself running a business .
I feel like I would enjoy marketing, project or product management and maybe business development.

I could see myself working in tech but I feel like people around me don't feel like it's something I can achieve.

My plan isn't to take fashion design at uni unless it's a masters degree or just some short courses if I really want to.
I was thinking about doing a marketing and management degree but I'm unsure . I feel like I would really want to do a degree which helps me understand how and why a business works and how to grow it .
I feel like Computer science degree would make me feel secure and really advance my interest in the tech world.
Its really important to me that I can be independent and have career progression.

If anyone has advice and if I am looking at this inthe wrong way it would really help to know or any or any Jobs that combine these job sectors.

This post is kind of all over the place. I will try to tackle each part one bit at a time.

You don't need a degree in any of these areas to get a job in them. They are also very diverse, so it's going to feel like a complete culture shock from one industry to another.

This sounds completely out of place. It has no relevance to any of your previously mentioned interests.
If you are keen to start a fashion business since primary school, that should be your primary focus (no pun intended); everything else should be secondary.

I really want to have a secure job, I don't mind doing extra overtime would prefer a monday to friday job. Im not someone who wants to regularly bring work home with me unless i literally work from home.
Bad news: running a business is not a regular secure job. Work in fashion is definitely not a secure (a lot of short term contracts). Marketing is a role where you can work 9-5, but you don't switch off from the time you leave the office and by the time you get back - you're always on the look out for new marketing strategies and tactics to sell material.

I have looked at jobs related to economics the subject itself is interesting but the roles aren't for me.
Why would you be looking for roles in economics?

Business wise I am alittle lost to as what jobs I would enjoy as when it comes to business I have only really envisioned myself running a business
This depends on your personality, skills, and what you see yourself doing day in day out. The roles in business are varied and will require different types of people with different strengths to do them (qualifications alone might not be enough). I need more information in these areas before I can make any suggestions.
Running a business requires you to be a jack of multiple trades to start off with; once you have a team you can settle into roles that you're comfortable doing. Selling skills will be key, and they are not taught at university or college.

Unless they work in tech, I wouldn't pay too much attention to this. The roles in tech are also varied with any from project management to coding. In some roles, you might not even touch a keyboard. Again, I would need to know your personality, interests, etc. to be able to advise you properly.

I haven't checked, but it's not likely that you can pick a master's in fashion design unless you have an undergrad in fashion design or something related. It's just one of those things. Short courses you are more than eligible to do irrespective of your background; I just don't know of any good courses for this (primarily because I don't look into fashion design deeply).

Marketing is one aspect to which you can focus on to grow businesses, but alone it's not enough to understand how businesses work.
A management degree would give you an overview, but you are not likely to come across material on how you grow a business. Some management degrees might not even go into enough detail to explain how businesses work in my opinion. The reading and material tend to be more mosaic i.e. you piece the material together.
You can take business related courses outside of uni that can go into growth and how businesses work in more detail, but they aren't normally backed by research or are based on material taught by academics.
Just for the heads up, you can always do a master's in marketing, MBA, or management with an undergrad in any subject, so long you have a high enough grade.
If you want books to read to get a better overview on the material, then I recommend:

The Ten-Day MBA 4th Ed: A Step-By-Step Guide to Mastering the Skills Taught in America's Top Business Schools by Steven Silbiger

The Personal MBA: A World-Class Business Education in a Single Volume by Josh Kaufman (if you can't read both books, read this one)

After reading both books, you should have a better idea of which area in business you would prefer doing.

A computer science degree means you have adequate knowledge to progress in computer science research. People in the tech world care more about skills and experience over qualifications. If you want a job in tech, it's probably better to get professional IT certifications over doing a degree. The degree is required if you want to go into research though (you might be able to get away with not doing such a degree to go teach IT, not that you want to). A portfolio of computer projects would probably get you a lot further than a degree in computer science.

This means very little. How do you define career progression? Climbing the corporate ladder? More advanced certifications? Increase salary?
Independent in what sense? Being able to do your own thing or you would be able to do any job you want? Be able to work in any location you want? Any country?
Independence usually doesn't coincide with security or normal hours (even if you manage everything very well).

any Jobs that combine these job sectors
Nothing specific. You can look at digital fashion design, but that's a stretch because it's essentially fashion design.
Business and marketing are subjects that can be applied to virtually anything, even in charities and the public sector. However, without a trade this means very little.
Computer science is something that involves logic, which is on the opposite end of the spectrum to the creative skills and thinking in fashion and marketing. Whilst you can learn to use AI to produce creative work, you would not need a computer science degree (or any IT certifications) to do this; a creative degree would make more sense (not that you need a creative degree or any qualifications to get work in the creative industry).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending