The Student Room Group

Young drivers to be banned from driving at night?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kathy89
many countries have limits to new drivers under a certain age to drive at night without a more experienced driver's supervision.
Banning night driving will not help young drivers getting used to drive in a dark light conditions. It was harder for me to start driving at night when I had no practice before, even when I was already an experienced driver. I was banned from night driving because of my vision, when my vision improved I applied for a change in my licence and had to do a during test again.... with no practice…had to do the lessons on my own expense and no real limited on minimum lessons... so it was not enough practice really... I can imaging how bad it'd be for a 20+ year old with 3 years of experience driving in daylight to drive at night for the first time ...

If you look at my earlier postings, you will see that I am not relating the hours of a curfew to physical night. I think it is wholly improbable that young drivers would be banned from driving 4-7 PM during a winter evening. As I say above, I would suggest a curfew from 9PM to 5AM.

I think a key consideration for any government will be permitting hospital/care home and similar shift working whilst making any form of "night out" driving unattractive. It will affect restaurant/bar and some retail workers but most such shifts for young people will finish at a time when shared taxis are likely to be available and in some cases parents will give lifts. I think the greater concern for Government will be early morning shifts where other transport options will be more limited.

Therefore the point you make about lack of driving experience during physical night is not relevant.
Original post by nulli tertius
I think you misunderstand the purpose of a night driving ban. It is not to ban driving during the hours of darkness but to ban driving during the hours where most irresponsible and dangerous driving by young people takes place.

And surely that takes place during the hours of darkness? Otherwise it makes no sense.Are you saying that as soon as it hits 9pm young people drive irresponsibly?

Regardless if you are going to do this you may as well just ban idiots from driving on the roads.I don't think it has anything to do with being young.Some people are just ***** basically.Nothing much you can do about that.
If you look at my earlier postings, you will see that I am not relating the hours of a curfew to physical night. I think it is wholly improbable that young drivers would be banned from driving 4-7 PM during a winter evening. As I say above, I would suggest a curfew from 9PM to 5AM.

I think a key consideration for any government will be permitting hospital/care home and similar shift working whilst making any form of "night out" driving unattractive. It will affect restaurant/bar and some retail workers but most such shifts for young people will finish at a time when shared taxis are likely to be available and in some cases parents will give lifts. I think the greater concern for Government will be early morning shifts where other transport options will be more limited.

Therefore the point you make about lack of driving experience during physical night is not relevant.

Taxi drivers are by far some of the worst drivers on the road.I doubt having more taxis would make the situation better.
I highly doubt it will happen, there is no universal way of enforcing it unless every car has a tracker/blackbox, or unless the police start randomly pulling over suspected young drivers (they wouldn't even be able to see the driver's face in the dark anyway). It gets dark at 5PM in the winter and at around 10PM in the summer, where does one draw the line between day and night?
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by James2312
Taxi drivers are by far some of the worst drivers on the road.I doubt having more taxis would make the situation better.

For the mileage driven in principally urban environments, taxi drivers are very safe drivers. They may upset other drivers by their driving behaviours at times but they are involved in very few accidents per mile.
For the mileage driven in principally urban environments, taxi drivers are very safe drivers. They may upset other drivers by their driving behaviours at times but they are involved in very few accidents per mile.

You don't have to be involved in the accident to be the cause of an accident.Only last night I saw a taxi driver perform a 3 point turn in the middle of heavy traffic because he was going the wrong way.

What would you do about elderly drivers? Luckily we don't have to worry about any of that with the over 65s.
Original post by James2312
You don't have to be involved in the accident to be the cause of an accident.Only last night I saw a taxi driver perform a 3 point turn in the middle of heavy traffic because he was going the wrong way.

This is something elderly drivers never accept for some reason it's never their fault, other drivers just need to learn to be more patient and keep out of their way apparently, just last night driving home some old git driving at 30 and below on a national speed limit road pulls out directly in front of the car in front of me very nearly causing one crash, we then get a large queue of impatient commuters form behind taking it in turns to overtake at points that were extremely dangerous until some tit in a Mustang goes flying past on a blind bend and narrowly avoids an on coming lorry by forcing both on coming lorry and the car to his left the car directly in front of me onto the verge, queue stops, roads blocked, old git continues on his way completely oblivious. after finally getting around the mess they created I catch back up to them, now directly behind them they proceed to merge onto a busy dual carriageway at below 30mph causing absolute chaos.
(edited 4 years ago)
No this is wrong. Young drivers should be allowed on the road without any stupid trackers. Because they are tracked they are more likely to look for a jammer to cancel the effect, thus prone to crashing. Also women should jus be banned from driving because equal rights
Original post by Fullofsurprises
I know this won't be popular, but I don't think young guys should be allowed to drive until they are over 21 and probably 25 or something like that. They are the absolutely worst drivers on the roads without doubt, the most prone to crashing and the most likely to cause death or serious injury to others and themselves. Anyone driving for a while will see incredible miscalculation, outrageous speeding and overconfidence and contempt for other drivers are all a standard feature for many young males in charge of vehicles.

My brother (20) currently works as a mechanical design engineer intern, without a car he wouldn't be able to get to his work, hence not have this career furthering internship. A car isn't just something all young adults use to abuse. We have police to enforce the law on the road.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Nuttyy
We have police to enforce the law on the road.

Increasingly, we don't. Traffic police have been drastically cut back across the UK.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Increasingly, we don't. Traffic police have been drastically cut back across the UK.

And it should be the young drivers who should have to pay? I say that's injustice.
How do expect anyone to be experienced later on if theyre banned from early stages? Theyre gonna be equally as bad when they are 21 or 25 if they dont get to practice

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending