The Student Room Group

I only got 2 gcses

Hey guys, so i failed english & maths. I have a question for you ... can i do level 1 btec in the first year then level 3 in the second year. If a pass my english & Maths. I know everything about Childcare already
First you need to understand the level system:

Level 3= A-level or equivalent
Level 2= GCSE or equivalent
Level 1= equivalent to half a GCSE

In order to do level 3 BTECs you need 5 (or more) GCSE passes including English + Maths, alternatively you can do it with a Lv 2 BTEC at a Merit or above and English and Maths GCSEs

If you fail your GCSEs you can still do a Lv 2 BTEC course over one year, this goes alongside your English and Maths, if you pass your resit you can go on to Lv 3 BTEC next year.

Level 1s aren't relevant to you
Reply 2
Original post by lol.yolo
First you need to understand the level system:

Level 3= A-level or equivalent
Level 2= GCSE or equivalent
Level 1= equivalent to half a GCSE

In order to do level 3 BTECs you need 5 (or more) GCSE passes including English + Maths, alternatively you can do it with a Lv 2 BTEC at a Merit or above and English and Maths GCSEs

If you fail your GCSEs you can still do a Lv 2 BTEC course over one year, this goes alongside your English and Maths, if you pass your resit you can go on to Lv 3 BTEC next year.

Level 1s aren't relevant to you

Thank you for replying back to me. So yh, in total i got 2 gcses but i got a 3 in English language & a 2 in maths. So can you explain why level 1 isnt for me
Original post by perkins_1
Thank you for replying back to me. So yh, in total i got 2 gcses but i got a 3 in English language & a 2 in maths. So can you explain why level 1 isnt for me

so Level 1 is equivalent to half a GCSE, that would mean you would be studying at a lower level than previously, they are not offered at sixth form. Level 2 is the same level as GCSE so you can do it without other GCSEs as long as you are working to retake those required by law (English and Maths). You would be able to take Lv 2s

This website may help:
https://qualifications.pearson.com/en/support/support-topics/understanding-our-qualifications/comparing-btec-to-other-qualifications/btec-qualifications-by-level.html
Reply 4
so Level 1 is equivalent to half a GCSE, that would mean you would be studying at a lower level than previously, they are not offered at sixth form. Level 2 is the same level as GCSE so you can do it without other GCSEs as long as you are working to retake those required by law (English and Maths). You would be able to take Lv 2s

This website may help:
https://qualifications.pearson.com/en/support/support-topics/understanding-our-qualifications/comparing-btec-to-other-qualifications/btec-qualifications-by-level.html

Oh, can i go to university with btec level 2?
:facepalm:
No, you need Level 3 qualifications for Uni.

Level 3= the same level as A-level
Level 2= the same level as GCSE

Therefore a Level 2 BTEC is equivalent to a GCSE
You can do Level 2 BTECs without other GCSEs (because you don't need GCSEs to do...GCSEs)
You can do Level 3 BTECs either with the required GCSEs + eng and maths or with the Level 2 BTEC...+ eng and maths.

In your situation, you can do a Lv 2 BTEC next year and if you pass eng and maths you can do Lv 3 the next year.
If you have good enough Level 3 grades (whether that be for BTECs or A-levels...because the are equivalent) you can apply for Uni.
Universities give qualifications level 4 and above
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 6
:facepalm:
No, you need Level 3 qualifications for Uni.

Level 3= the same level as A-level
Level 2= the same level as GCSE

Therefore a Level 2 BTEC is equivalent to a GCSE
You can do Level 2 BTECs without other GCSEs (because you don't need GCSEs to do...GCSEs)
You can do Level 3 BTECs either with the required GCSEs + eng and maths or with the Level 2 BTEC...+ eng and maths.

In your situation, you can do a Lv 2 BTEC next year and if you pass eng and maths you can do Lv 3 the next year.
If you have good enough Level 3 grades (whether that be for BTECs or A-levels...because the are equivalent) you can apply for Uni.
Universities give qualifications level 4 and above

So, you are saying that this year i shall be able to do level 2 BTEC & if i pass my english and maths i can do level 3 in year 13?
So, you are saying that this year i shall be able to do level 2 BTEC & if i pass my english and maths i can do level 3 in year 13?

Yes
Reply 8
Yes

Okay thank you!
Reply 9
Yes

Today i went to my college for enrollment day & i'm doing level 3 Childcare :smile: BUT i have to do level functional skills maths ...
Today i went to my college for enrollment day & i'm doing level 3 Childcare :smile: BUT i have to do level functional skills maths ...

Good to hear, I hope you enjoy it!

Quick Reply

Latest