The Student Room Group

Unsure if i qualify for migating circumstances

Hi im currently looking to apply for bath for accounting and management I have the A level grades but dont meet the gcse grade for maths by 1 grade.

I moved from Ireland to the UK Aged 16 so i was not able to do normal gcses and only did 2, it took me some adjusting after moving and i feel like it impacted on my grades. I also kinda live in a deprived area

Would this qualify for migating circumstances/contextual admissions as if i do Bath can lower the gcse requirement.Thx
(edited 8 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What a levels did you do and what grade? Sometimes you can contact the uni and they can make you do an internal maths exam instead or if you can demonstrate maths in any of your a levels eg a science
Original post by yupcabra23
Hi im currently looking to apply for bath for accounting and management I have the A level grades but dont meet the gcse grade for maths by 1 grade.

I moved from Ireland to the UK Aged 16 so i was not able to do normal gcses and only did 2, it took me some adjusting after moving and i feel like it impacted on my grades. I also kinda live in a deprived area

Would this qualify for migating circumstances/contextual admissions as if i do Bath can lower the gcse requirement.Thx

Nobody but Bath can answer this for definite but they tend to be very strict over Maths GCSE requirements. I would be too hopeful. Have you though of resitting it.
Reply 3

Best bet is to resit it alongside your A levels so that any offers will be conditional on the results of the gcse and A levels
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by anoraeb
What a levels did you do and what grade? Sometimes you can contact the uni and they can make you do an internal maths exam instead or if you can demonstrate maths in any of your a levels eg a science

Geography= A*
Business= A*
Economics=A*
On Baths website they say "Your GCSE grades will be carefully considered as part of our contextual admissions process and depending on your circumstances, we may be able to consider you with 4 or C in Mathematics or English Language or Literature GCSE."

Normally i would be willing to do a resit but my sixth form only does foundation maths for people who do resits and if i were to do a resit online its costs £700 and my family and i dont have that kind of money right now, I just want to know if i have meet this contextual admission as i dont want to apply without some certainty.
Reply 5
Geography= A*
Business= A*
Economics=A*
On Baths website they say "Your GCSE grades will be carefully considered as part of our contextual admissions process and depending on your circumstances, we may be able to consider you with 4 or C in Mathematics or English Language or Literature GCSE."

Normally i would be willing to do a resit but my sixth form only does foundation maths for people who do resits and if i were to do a resit online its costs £700 and my family and i dont have that kind of money right now, I just want to know if i have meet this contextual admission as i dont want to apply without some certainty.

The only way to find out is to send them an email. Phoning won’t be sufficient as you’ll have no paper trace if they change their minds later.
Reply 6
Original post by Euapp
The only way to find out is to send them an email. Phoning won’t be sufficient as you’ll have no paper trace if they change their minds later.

Okay, when is it the right time to email them since its summer they might be off. Thx again
Okay, when is it the right time to email them since its summer they might be off. Thx again

Email them now. Admin staff don’t get the summer off :smile:
(Original post by yupcabra23)Okay, when is it the right time to email them since its summer they might be off. Thx again

You can email them now. Admissions officers dont work students terms. They might be a while getting back to you as they will be dealing with clearing and A level results. Havent looked at the Bath website they do say they require a strong background in Mathematics and mention accepting a lower grade in English language so it doesnt seem hopeful. You might find a similar problem elsewhere. Maths is important for the type of course you intend studying and places will often look for a good GCSE Maths grade.
Reply 9

I would say this falls under mitigating circumstances. It's unusual and it impacted your education. But ofc this is dependent on what Bath thinks
Reply 10
Original post by swanseajack1
(Original post by yupcabra23)Okay, when is it the right time to email them since its summer they might be off. Thx again

You can email them now. Admissions officers dont work students terms. They might be a while getting back to you as they will be dealing with clearing and A level results. Havent looked at the Bath website they do say they require a strong background in Mathematics and mention accepting a lower grade in English language so it doesnt seem hopeful. You might find a similar problem elsewhere. Maths is important for the type of course you intend studying and places will often look for a good GCSE Maths grade.

I think that is for Accounting and finance the course im applying to is Accounting and management which is less math's intensive and on the requirements they do say they can accept a lower math's grade which has giving me a glimmer of hope but I am unsure my circumstance applies for it. The fact I only have 2 GCSE's also puts me at a disadvantage as well
I think that is for Accounting and finance the course im applying to is Accounting and management which is less math's intensive and on the requirements they do say they can accept a lower math's grade which has giving me a glimmer of hope but I am unsure my circumstance applies for it. The fact I only have 2 GCSE's also puts me at a disadvantage as well

Any business type course (accounting, business, finance, marketing, economics etc) all have Maths requirements because of the Maths involved especially in top universities. It varies between universities but Bath tends to be one of the strictest over it. As an example Bath require grade 7 GCSE Maths for Psychology whereas others look for grade 6.

Whether they will accept you only they can tell. It doesnt look hopeful though. As for only having 2 GCSEs universities usually require at least 5. They might or might not overlook that as you came from abroad. The Maths requirement is more likely to be a problem as it is a basic requirement they expect you to have to be able to complete the course. It would certainly improve your chances to resit it and show it as pending. They would then attach the necessary GCSE grade to your A level conditions.

The other issue you will have is that some universities will not accept Business and Economics together as they are considered too similar. A few universities count these together as 1 subject so will class you as having 2 A levels not 3. There have been students on here in the past who have been rejected for that reason

It might be worth you discussing this with your college to see if they can help over the Maths requirement as it might not only be Bath you will have problems with.
Any business type course (accounting, business, finance, marketing, economics etc) all have Maths requirements because of the Maths involved especially in top universities. It varies between universities but Bath tends to be one of the strictest over it. As an example Bath require grade 7 GCSE Maths for Psychology whereas others look for grade 6.

Whether they will accept you only they can tell. It doesnt look hopeful though. As for only having 2 GCSEs universities usually require at least 5. They might or might not overlook that as you came from abroad. The Maths requirement is more likely to be a problem as it is a basic requirement they expect you to have to be able to complete the course. It would certainly improve your chances to resit it and show it as pending. They would then attach the necessary GCSE grade to your A level conditions.

The other issue you will have is that some universities will not accept Business and Economics together as they are considered too similar. A few universities count these together as 1 subject so will class you as having 2 A levels not 3. There have been students on here in the past who have been rejected for that reason

It might be worth you discussing this with your college to see if they can help over the Maths requirement as it might not only be Bath you will have problems with.

Here is an example from Manchester
Grade B or 6 in GCSE/iGCSE English Language and Grade A or 7 in Mathematics.
Reply 13
Geography= A*
Business= A*
Economics=A*

Here is an example from Manchester
Grade B or 6 in GCSE/iGCSE English Language and Grade A or 7 in Mathematics.

Would it be better if i did a core maths qualification instead or am i better doing a resit and if so can i do core maths in a year and have it attached to my a level condition
Would it be better if i did a core maths qualification instead or am i better doing a resit and if so can i do core maths in a year and have it attached to my a level condition

You need to speak to Bath and get their advice on this. Normally a resit would be required but some might accept core Maths @Muttley79 can you advise on the practicality of doing core Maths in a year
Reply 15

Unlikely I think

What Maths grade do you have?
Reply 17
Original post by Muttley79
What Maths grade do you have?

Grade 5 at foundation, In Ireland I got a equivalent to a 7 (A) but when I came here they made me do math's again I did the November exams and got my grade 5 and when I asked if I could do higher the teacher said we will worry about that later and never mentioned it to me again even though I asked her.
Grade 5 at foundation, In Ireland I got a equivalent to a 7 (A) but when I came here they made me do math's again I did the November exams and got my grade 5 and when I asked if I could do higher the teacher said we will worry about that later and never mentioned it to me again even though I asked her.

Did you sit the equivalent of GCSE in Ireland and get a grade A?
Reply 19
yes its called the junior cert but the only thing is one of my sixth form teachers said that the Irish equivalent is not seen as hard as the GCSE or on the same level which is why they made me take GCSE's

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending