The Student Room Group

Resitting GCSE as I want to get all 9s

Hi, I'm currently in year 13 doing A levels (Predicted A*AA in psychology, biology, and maths plus had offers from 2 RG unis for psy) and next year I am planning to take a year out and thinking of sitting several GCSEs and try to get all 9s in them.

The reason being is that I feel like my GSCEs are under performed as I only joined the UK school system at year 11 (I was in another country back then) and only have couple months to prepare for it. Also I feel like I am capable of doing more GCSEs (aka grammar streams level) given that my GCSE school only entered me in 9 subjects (2 of them ain't even gcse lol) and of course is always feel good to have an outstanding academic achievements.

Turns out I got D*, D*, 9, 8,7,7,6,5,5. Which I got 8 in maths and 5s in both Englishs (not my first language). Also I heard that some unis care about GCSE qualification as a whole to assess your application (E.g. I want to do GEM medicine after I finish my first degree), and it's really important to have a good GCSE profile and ofc alongside your A levels.

Is there any point in sitting some other GCSEs like Triple Science (I only got the double science qualification) and what will the university think if I apply again during my gap year (would like to apply to Oxbridge etc) or employers in the future think about it. Cause I feel like a big part of this decision is just to fulfil my emotional urge/lost on not achieved high/good enough grades and therefore feeling sad about it and wanting to make a change. TIA
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by mindful-battery
Hi, I'm currently in year 13 doing A levels (Predicted A*AA in psychology, biology, and maths plus had offers from 2 RG unis for psy) and next year I am planning to take a year out and thinking of sitting several GCSEs and try to get all 9s in them.

The reason being is that I feel like my GSCEs are under performed as I only joined the UK school system at year 11 (I was in another country back then) and only have couple months to prepare for it. Also I feel like I am capable of doing more GCSEs (aka grammar streams level) given that my GCSE school only entered me in 9 subjects (2 of them ain't even gcse lol) and of course is always feel good to have an outstanding academic achievements.

Turns out I got D*, D*, 9, 8,7,7,6,5,5. Which I got 8 in maths and 5s in both Englishs (not my first language). Also I heard that some unis care about GCSE qualification as a whole to assess your application (E.g. I want to do GEM medicine after I finish my first degree), and it's really important to have a good GCSE profile and ofc alongside your A levels.

Is there any point in sitting some other GCSEs like Triple Science (I only got the double science qualification) and what will the university think if I apply again during my gap year (would like to apply to Oxbridge etc) or employers in the future think about it. Cause I feel like a big part of this decision is just to fulfil my emotional urge/lost on not achieved high/good enough grades and therefore feeling sad about it and wanting to make a change. TIA

Why do another degree before GEM? Your already losing a year to redo GCSEs why make it even longer and more expensive for yourself?

Greg
Original post by greg tony
Why do another degree before GEM? Your already losing a year to redo GCSEs why make it even longer and more expensive for yourself?

Greg

It’s just one of possibilities in the future. Still not really sure about that

Quick Reply

Latest