The Student Room Group

Situational Judgement Test SJT FPAS

Hi everyone! I'm in final year, due to take my SJT in December. I know it's early, don't worry I'm not doing any prep at all yet. Just trying to get an idea on how to prep for the SJT as best as i can. I need to score around 40 to be in with a chance of getting into my deanery. I know that's around the average but I'm so scared of doing worse than this, and ideally I really want to do better than 40. How can I best prepare for this? Did anyone get a good SJT score who would be willing to let me know how they prepared for it and how I can boost my marks?? Xxxx
Honestly, and I think I speak for most when I say this, the SJT is the stupidest exam ever written. The answers are often very controversial, and certainly not universally agreed upon, and prep is a bit of a minefield and might not actually be useful at all.

The only teaching we had from the med school was one lecture where a panel of consultants who had an interest in ethics, plus a professional medical ethicist, discussed some questions and answers. The whole session was just them arguing. There was not a single question where all of them agreed on the answer, and they often flatly disagreed with what the 'correct' answer was.

Supposedly there is unpublished research that shows that 1st year medics score just as well as final years, so this is definitely not about ward experience or anything.

I bought one of the SJT books - is there an official one? I did a practice exam online to see my 'baseline' score. I then spent ages working through the book, trying to decipher why in one question the answer was one way, but the next question the answer was seemingly opposite. Thought I'd identified some rules. Re-took the same paper... scored 1% lower.

People claim its purely randomiser but that's not it. People with poor English comprehension scores, and especially those with English as a second language, do pretty poorly on this test. It is a very advanced English Language test I would argue.

By far the best prep is to just get used to the exam format, and for gods' sake don't run out of time. Beyond that... I'm not sure any useful advice exists.

And btw this is from someone who scored a 45 so its not like I'm bitter - it benefited me greatly!
Reply 2
Original post by nexttime
Honestly, and I think I speak for most when I say this, the SJT is the stupidest exam ever written. The answers are often very controversial, and certainly not universally agreed upon, and prep is a bit of a minefield and might not actually be useful at all.

The only teaching we had from the med school was one lecture where a panel of consultants who had an interest in ethics, plus a professional medical ethicist, discussed some questions and answers. The whole session was just them arguing. There was not a single question where all of them agreed on the answer, and they often flatly disagreed with what the 'correct' answer was.

Supposedly there is unpublished research that shows that 1st year medics score just as well as final years, so this is definitely not about ward experience or anything.

I bought one of the SJT books - is there an official one? I did a practice exam online to see my 'baseline' score. I then spent ages working through the book, trying to decipher why in one question the answer was one way, but the next question the answer was seemingly opposite. Thought I'd identified some rules. Re-took the same paper... scored 1% lower.

People claim its purely randomiser but that's not it. People with poor English comprehension scores, and especially those with English as a second language, do pretty poorly on this test. It is a very advanced English Language test I would argue.

By far the best prep is to just get used to the exam format, and for gods' sake don't run out of time. Beyond that... I'm not sure any useful advice exists.

And btw this is from someone who scored a 45 so its not like I'm bitter - it benefited me greatly!

Thank you SO much!!! This is actually so useful
It's hard hearing how you cannot well and truly 'revise' but that's how aptitude tests work, ey?!
Thank you!!! Really gonna try and work towards time limits!!! You're so right.

SJT SUCKS MAN

You aced it tho!!! Well done and I'm glad it helped you!! Really hope I get a similar mark to you!! I'll be over the moon

It sucks that people who may be great and able doctors, whose English isn't up to scratch can be at a disadvantage - what a real shame 😭

Thank you tho!! It honestly sounds like a Stupid test.

ALSO, when do you get your marks for the SJT? For instance, if I order my deaneries and then I find out that my SJT mark is better than I hoped, can I change the order of my deaneries before the deadline, which I believe is February 13th or around then!!
Original post by medfoot
ALSO, when do you get your marks for the SJT? For instance, if I order my deaneries and then I find out that my SJT mark is better than I hoped, can I change the order of my deaneries before the deadline, which I believe is February 13th or around then!!

Sorry can't remember.

I think there's probably a few past papers online by now? I'd definitely do those so you know what to expect. Beyond that... up to you.
Reply 4
Original post by nexttime
Sorry can't remember.

I think there's probably a few past papers online by now? I'd definitely do those so you know what to expect. Beyond that... up to you.

Thanks babe x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending