The Student Room Group

UCAT do i have a chance at medicine

Hey, I sat my UCAT today and got 2350 B3 and am predicted ABB is it worth applying to university this year?
Original post by islaaax
Hey, I sat my UCAT today and got 2350 B3 and am predicted ABB is it worth applying to university this year?

Are you eligible for widening participation?
Reply 2
Original post by hungrysalamander
Are you eligible for widening participation?

Hey, I'm on the 16-19 bursary and received the UCAT bursary. But my Postcode's progression to higher education is a 4 (polar 4 quintile 4)
Honestly speaking, no. Most universities either narrow applicants out based on UCAT scores of grades. The average UCAT score (according to preliminary scores 2022) is 2554 (4th Decile) while you are in the 2nd Decile. The higher your decile, the better. In terms of grades, you can look for universities that don't consider predicted grades (eg. Sheffield or Aston). You can also see if you're eligible for conditional offers or foundation years.

Your other option is to do the BMAT and apply for universities that accept that but you will have to look into that because the format of the BMAT is different to the UCAT and requires knowledge of maths, biology, chemistry and physics at around GCSE level.

Considering how competitive medicine is and will be this year, you can apply but it's unlikely that you will get a place.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by justabitstressed
Honestly speaking, no. Most universities either narrow applicants out based on UCAT scores of grades. The average UCAT score (according to preliminary scores 2022) is 2554 (4th Decile) while you are in the 2nd Decile. The higher your decile, the better. In terms of grades, you can look for universities that don't consider predicted grades (eg. Sheffield or Aston). You can also see if you're eligible for conditional offers or foundation years.

Your other option is to do the BMAT and apply for universities that accept that but you will have to look into that because the format of the BMAT is different to the UCAT and requires knowledge of maths, biology, chemistry and physics at around GCSE level.

Considering how competitive medicine is and will be this year, you can apply but it's unlikely that you will get a place.

Hi i have a 2440 b1 and have a 2.1 (68%) in biomed. You think ARU or KCL would think of accepting me. I feel so lost did my ucat today. Thanks in advance.
Original post by abiloooool
Hi i have a 2440 b1 and have a 2.1 (68%) in biomed. You think ARU or KCL would think of accepting me. I feel so lost did my ucat today. Thanks in advance.

Here are the entry requirements for ARU:
Minimum 2:1 honours degree awarded within the last five years. The degree must be in a biological, biomedical, chemistry or health science subject (please note we do not accept Nursing or Paramedic Science). All graduate applicants will need to provide their transcripts which will be evaluated and put to a panel decision, where factors mentioned in their personal statement, such as work experience in healthcare, will be considered. The minimum requirement for GCSEs will have to be met. The UCAT will also have to be completed by graduate applicants; GAMSAT will not be accepted.

and for KCL:
King’s does not have a threshold UCAT score in any particular year, but all candidates are still required to take the UCAT examination for this course. The overall UCAT score averaged across the four subtests is given more consideration than the individual subtest scores. The Situational Judgement Test (SJT) is also taken into account when shortlisting.

You can actually check how much they take UCAT into account but, considering that you have 2.1 in Biomed, you meet some of their requirements.

It's definitely worth applying but make sure you have insurance choices as well that very clearly don't look at UCAT as much as other factors OR ones that score SJT highly because your SJT score is very good.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 6
Hi, Thank you for your honest response. My chances aren't looking great but I think I'm going to apply as I have nothing to lose (but rejections :smile:)

Reply 7
Original post by justabitstressed

Hi, Thank you for your honest response. My chances aren't looking great but I think I'm going to apply as I have nothing to lose (but rejections )
Reply 8
Original post by islaaax
Hi, Thank you for your honest response. My chances aren't looking great but I think I'm going to apply as I have nothing to lose (but rejections )

hi did you end up receiving any offers?
Reply 9
Original post by s.studies
hi did you end up receiving any offer

For 2440 b1 I got into Keele medicine.
Original post by islaaax

Hi @islaaax

If you're concerned about your UCAT score, you could consider sitting the BMAT, and still applying this year. I got a similar score in my UCAT, but found that I was much better at the BMAT when I sat it a few months later!

Nellie (Lancaster Student Ambassador)
Reply 11
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hi @islaaax

If you're concerned about your UCAT score, you could consider sitting the BMAT, and still applying this year. I got a similar score in my UCAT, but found that I was much better at the BMAT when I sat it a few months later!

Nellie (Lancaster Student Ambassador)

thank you for this :smile:
Reply 12
Hi, I just feel very lost and would appreciate any advice. 🙂
I'm a y13 student wishing to apply to medicine and I just need some suggestions for where to apply giving my UCAT score.
My stats:
9999998876 (7 in art and 6 in geography)
*got 5 at English Language first time as the exam was 2 days after the loss of my grandpa, with a resit I managed to bring it up to an 8*
A*AA predicted, will try to bring the A in chemistry to an A*
UCAT 2500 B1 ☹️, tbh I feel destroyed, never ever got that score in my practice and I was averaging 2900
WP/contextual

I was thinking about Keele, Sunderland, Cardiff, Leicester, Aston.
Thx for the help
Reply 13
Original post by Mell111
Hi, I just feel very lost and would appreciate any advice. 🙂
I'm a y13 student wishing to apply to medicine and I just need some suggestions for where to apply giving my UCAT score.
My stats:
9999998876 (7 in art and 6 in geography)
*got 5 at English Language first time as the exam was 2 days after the loss of my grandpa, with a resit I managed to bring it up to an 8*
A*AA predicted, will try to bring the A in chemistry to an A*
UCAT 2500 B1 ☹️, tbh I feel destroyed, never ever got that score in my practice and I was averaging 2900
WP/contextual

I was thinking about Keele, Sunderland, Cardiff, Leicester, Aston.
Thx for the help

hi, i am so sorry for your loss
you have amazing stats, and 2500 B1 is a very decent score to me! you still definitely have a chance, go for it! and your chosen universities seem strategic :smile:
please don't be disheartened. if you contextualise your situation you've done phenomenally, and even without context these are really good stats! you've got this <3
For 2440 b1 I got into Keele medicine.

What gcse did u get and what work experience did u have

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending