The Student Room Group
Students relaxing
University of Derby
Derby
Visit website

University of Derby - 2020 Applicants thread

Hello all,
Welcome to our thread for 2020 applicants :party2:! Here you can introduce yourself to others or get answers about studying at Derby. Just @ us in to your question when you need us.

Wondering how to introduce yourself to people? You could answer any or all of the below:

Course or subject area:
A Levels/BTECs:
Current application status:
Where are you from?:

We have some useful pages that you can make use of too:

Order your prospectus

Book your Open Day

Virtual Tour

Accommodation

Personal Statement Writer

You can also join our community on Facebook:

facebook.com - Coming to Derby Uni: join this group if you haven't applied yet but are considering it

Good luck with your application.

Ryan :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by University of Derby
Hello all,
Welcome to our thread for 2020 applicants :party2:! Here you can introduce yourself to others or get answers about studying at Derby. Just @ us in to your question when you need us.

Wondering how to introduce yourself to people? You could answer any or all of the below:

Course or subject area:
A Levels/BTECs:
Where are you from?:

Order your prospectus

Book your Open Day

Virtual Tour

Accommodation

facebook.com - Coming to Derby Uni: join this group if you haven't applied yet but are considering it

Name: John Michele
Course: Engineering (unsure what specific course...help would be helpful)
Predicted grades: Level 3 extended diploma in Engineering predicted grade MMM
Also applying at: Bristol, Portsmouth, Lincoln, Nottingham Trent
Application Status: haven't started
Students relaxing
University of Derby
Derby
Visit website
Original post by John Michele
Name: John Michele
Course: Engineering (unsure what specific course...help would be helpful)
Predicted grades: Level 3 extended diploma in Engineering predicted grade MMM
Also applying at: Bristol, Portsmouth, Lincoln, Nottingham Trent
Application Status: haven't started

Hi @John Michele,

It's great to see you're considering a course in Engineering. If you need help to focus in on an area, we have subjects pages on our website that help explain each of the areas, and what courses are available to study with us.

We offer five different versions of engineering, so it's important to find the right one that suits you.

Civil Engineering and Construction
Electrical and Electronic Engineering
Entertainment Engineering
Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering
Motorsport Engineering

Ryan
Hi @John Michele,

It's great to see you're considering a course in Engineering. If you need help to focus in on an area, we have subjects pages on our website that help explain each of the areas, and what courses are available to study with us.

We offer five different versions of engineering, so it's important to find the right one that suits you.

Civil Engineering and Construction
Electrical and Electronic Engineering
Entertainment Engineering
Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering
Motorsport Engineering

Ryan

one question i have is will i get a unconditional offer if i'm predicted MMP/MMM. i dont mind taking i integrated foundation year along side it too. I am also considering a computing course.
Reply 4
Course or subject area: Computer Science
A Levels/BTECs: Level 3 Extended Diploma in IT (Pred: DDM)
Current application status: As soon as my tutor is happy with my PS, it'll be sent off! (Rather looking forward to it!)
Where are you from?: Kent
Original post by John Michele
one question i have is will i get a unconditional offer if i'm predicted MMP/MMM. i dont mind taking i integrated foundation year along side it too. I am also considering a computing course.

Hi @John Michele,

Your predicted grades (MMP/MMM) would give you the UCAS points to reach the entry requirements for a foundation year course in Engineering or Computing.

Our foundation year course options are available on the web pages which Ryan has linked above.

Hope this helps!

Emily
Hi :smile:
Course or subject area: Media/English and Media/Journalism (am I allowed to apply for both? Just wondering before I send the application in)
A Levels/BTECs: I'm doing an Access course (mature student!)
Current application status: Hopefully sending it off next week
Where are you from?: Staffordshire
Original post by Anonymous
Hi :smile:
Course or subject area: Media/English and Media/Journalism (am I allowed to apply for both? Just wondering before I send the application in)
A Levels/BTECs: I'm doing an Access course (mature student!)
Current application status: Hopefully sending it off next week
Where are you from?: Staffordshire

Hello,

Yes you can apply for both :smile:

We also offer the option to study Joint Honours if you were looking to study them together. You can find out more information about our Joint Honours options here.

Hope this helps!

Marizel
Hello all,

Course or subject area:
A Levels/BTECs:
Where are you from?:

Order your prospectus

Book your Open Day

Virtual Tour

Accommodation

Hi I'm Lucy,
I've only just started to go to open days but I'm considering applying for the Creative Expressive Arts Health and Wellbeing course at Derby. Currently I'm study Health and Social Care btec, Science btec, and Psychology.
I haven't started my application yet but my personal statement is making progress.
I'm from Essex, near Southend.
Hi my names zoe and I'm a mature student.Currently studying a acess course in humanities social science and education and wanting to do criminology. Personal statement has been submitted to my college tutor and hopefully will be submitted at the end of this month on ucas. Could the university help to secure accommodation for me and my daughter and help with a list of local primary schools as we would be relocating from teesside. Thanks
Original post by Maturestudentzoe
Hi my names zoe and I'm a mature student.Currently studying a acess course in humanities social science and education and wanting to do criminology. Personal statement has been submitted to my college tutor and hopefully will be submitted at the end of this month on ucas. Could the university help to secure accommodation for me and my daughter and help with a list of local primary schools as we would be relocating from teesside. Thanks

Hi @Maturestudentzoe,

I've asked our Student Living team for some advice here, as unfortunately we only have accommodation for students and do not allow children to stay due to the nature of halls.

We would suggest looking at the Private Accommodation available, but cannot guarantee that it will a different outcome to our halls. Your best option may be to go through local estate agents.

Information on applying for Derby's primary schools can be found here on the Derby City Council site.

I hope this helps, and good luck with your move.

Ryan
Course: international relations and diplomacy
Predicted grade: btec level 3 extended diploma in public services - D*DD
Application: 1st draft of ps completed

Just one question, am I less likely to get an offer because my course is btec/not an a level social science that is in the entry requirements thanks
Reply 12
Course or subject area: Marketing / Popular Music in Society JH
A Levels/BTECs: RSL Level 3 Extended Diploma for Music Practitioners
Current status: submitted application, waiting for references
Where are you from?: London

Also applying at: Manchester, Sussex, Kent, Solent
Reply 13
I've firmed my conditional offer with Derby, I know in my heart Derby Uni is the right place for me and I'm going to work hard to get in. Excited for the future ahead. I do have a couple of questions if that is okay.

When can I start applying for accommodation?

If my accommodation has an ethernet port, is a network switch in my room allowed? (So I can connect more than one wired device.)
Original post by Anonymous
Course: international relations and diplomacy
Predicted grade: btec level 3 extended diploma in public services - D*DD
Application: 1st draft of ps completed

Just one question, am I less likely to get an offer because my course is btec/not an a level social science that is in the entry requirements thanks

Hi

We have asked our admissions team and they have advised that it will depend on the BTEC content being studied and to speak to the programme leader for confirmation. If you call 01332 591044 our enquiry team will be able to help you with this.

Thanks,
Marizel :smile:
Course or subject area: Zoology (with foundation year)

A Levels/BTECs: Level 3 Diploma in Animal Management
Current application status: Once the careers team at my college are happy with everyones applications they'll be sent off
Where are you from?: Hertfordshire
Original post by LewisH_
I've firmed my conditional offer with Derby, I know in my heart Derby Uni is the right place for me and I'm going to work hard to get in. Excited for the future ahead. I do have a couple of questions if that is okay.

When can I start applying for accommodation?

If my accommodation has an ethernet port, is a network switch in my room allowed? (So I can connect more than one wired device.)

Hi @LewisH

You’ll be glad to know that applications for halls of residence are already open! So if you’ve had a offer from Derby (conditional or unconditional) and you’ve accepted the place, choosing Derby as your first choice, you can apply for the room you want now!

The halls have Ethernet ports, and you are allowed to connect more than one wired device.

Thanks,
Marizel :smile:
I just got an unconditional offer for psychology, super excited! As long as I decide to stay at home (commuting from Tamworth) Derby will be my firm choice :biggrin:
I was wondering are there many mature/commuting students at the university? As I don’t want to feel alone or miss out on the uni experience (I’m only 21 but don’t really want it to just be me and a load of 18 year olds, haha!) :smile:
Original post by widesinder
I just got an unconditional offer for psychology, super excited! As long as I decide to stay at home (commuting from Tamworth) Derby will be my firm choice :biggrin:
I was wondering are there many mature/commuting students at the university? As I don’t want to feel alone or miss out on the uni experience (I’m only 21 but don’t really want it to just be me and a load of 18 year olds, haha!) :smile:

Hi @widesinder,
At Derby, over half of our students are classed as mature (21 or over when they start their course), so you definitely won't be the only one! There's some useful tips to help you get to grips with life as a mature student on our website.

Ryan
Reply 19
Original post by Thomp0
Course or subject area: Marketing / Popular Music in Society JH
A Levels/BTECs: RSL Level 3 Extended Diploma for Music Practitioners
Current status: submitted application, waiting for references
Where are you from?: London

Also applying at: Manchester, Sussex, Kent, Solent

Hi,
Just received an unconditional offer for Marketing & Popular Music in Society!...
I'd love to chat to anyone else considering Marketing / Popular Music in Society (or both).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending