The Student Room Group

Clearing for Radiography

Hi everyone,

So I didn't get the grades that I needed in order to get into medicine hence I have applied to Radiography through clearing. The uni I have applied to for radiography is Sheffield Hallam and they said I am eligible for the course and have told me to wait for a call. That was yesterday (results day, 17 Aug 2023) but they still have not called me. I called them asking if everything is ok with my application and they said yh and just to be patient.

Now Ik am being very anxious but has this happened to anyone and have you received an offer later on after they have kept you waiting for so long ( ik its only been a day but I am just extremely anxious! Sorry!)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lamiyak0002
Hi everyone,

So I didn't get the grades that I needed in order to get into medicine hence I have applied to Radiography through clearing. The uni I have applied to for radiography is Sheffield Hallam and they said I am eligible for the course and have told me to wait for a call. That was yesterday (results day, 17 Aug 2023) but they still have not called me. I called them asking if everything is ok with my application and they said yh and just to be patient.

Now Ik am being very anxious but has this happened to anyone and have you received an offer later on after they have kept you waiting for so long ( ik its only been a day but I am just extremely anxious! Sorry!)

Have they told you what you're waiting for? To be given the green light to formally apply via UCAS Clearing?

I hope your also looking at other Clearing options in the meantime, just in case the Sheffield Hallam thing falls through?
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
Have they told you what you're waiting for? To be given the green light to formally apply via UCAS Clearing?

I hope your also looking at other Clearing options in the meantime, just in case the Sheffield Hallam thing falls through?

so they have basically helped me apply for the course through clearing and have said that if they need any more info they will give me a call back. They have taken all the info from me ( my GCSEs, a levels, etc)
It's just that I still have not received any call back yet so I m getting worried.
They also said it's taking longer bcoz they are lots of other applications they are dealing with atm so when it comes to mine they will give me a call etc b...
But I m just soo worried.

And yes I have called Derby and even they said they will give me a call back. I initially had a place at Derby for the 3-year radiography course but bc of my grade i have requested them to move me to the foundation year. But again I have not received any call from them.

I have also applied to st George at London through their online form and they emailed saying they will get back as soon as they can.

Sorry for rambling so much
Reply 3
Has anyone applied for Diagnostic Radiography at Sheffield Hallam through clearing after receiving your A-level results?

What have they said?

For me, they said that I am eligible to study the course and everything and so they have submitted my application for the course bcoz they were still places available.

After that, I have been told to wait for a call.

It is been a whole day and I have received no call from them.

Is there anybody out there who is in the same position as me?
Reply 4
Hi everyone,

I have applied to diagnostic radiography at St Georges through their online clearing form.

Has anyone else done that? Have they got back to you? Have you received a place from them or anything?
so they have basically helped me apply for the course through clearing and have said that if they need any more info they will give me a call back. They have taken all the info from me ( my GCSEs, a levels, etc)
It's just that I still have not received any call back yet so I m getting worried.
They also said it's taking longer bcoz they are lots of other applications they are dealing with atm so when it comes to mine they will give me a call etc b...
But I m just soo worried.

And yes I have called Derby and even they said they will give me a call back. I initially had a place at Derby for the 3-year radiography course but bc of my grade i have requested them to move me to the foundation year. But again I have not received any call from them.

I have also applied to st George at London through their online form and they emailed saying they will get back as soon as they can.

Sorry for rambling so much

OK. I think I have a better understanding of what's happening now.

Universities can handle Clearing in a couple of ways. Let's suppose that a uni has 10 places left on a course, and it wants to fill them via Clearing. One approach is to filter people who apply fairly crudely (just checking they meet the entry requirements, essentially) and telling those which get through this filter to formally apply on UCAS Hub. They could tell 20 or 30 students to do this, even knowing that they only have 10 spaces. You can only formally apply via UCAS Hub for one Clearing place at a time. So if this uni then spends a few days comparing those 20 or 30 candidates to decide which 10 they want to accept, this causes a problem for those not selected as they've been unable to formally apply elsewhere in the meantime. That could mean losing-out on other Clearing opportunities.

The other approach is to do what it sounds each of your three unis are doing. Let's suppose they have the same 10 spaces and the same 20 to 30 applicants who pass the basic eligibility filter. Rather than having them all formally apply on UCAS Hub and then deciding which they want, they're deciding which they want first. That means, once they get back to you (perhaps on Monday, or maybe Tuesday) and give you the green light to enter their details into UCAS Hub and formally apply, they can instantly confirm your place. This approach prevents your Clearing application effectively being "locked" by the first university you contact.

It seems a better way of doing things to me. It clearly feels like you're in limbo right now, waiting for one of these three unis to get back to you. But that's better than one of them immediately asking you to enter their courses details into UCAS Hub - only to decline you a week later. Does that make sense?
Reply 6
OK. I think I have a better understanding of what's happening now.

Universities can handle Clearing in a couple of ways. Let's suppose that a uni has 10 places left on a course, and it wants to fill them via Clearing. One approach is to filter people who apply fairly crudely (just checking they meet the entry requirements, essentially) and telling those which get through this filter to formally apply on UCAS Hub. They could tell 20 or 30 students to do this, even knowing that they only have 10 spaces. You can only formally apply via UCAS Hub for one Clearing place at a time. So if this uni then spends a few days comparing those 20 or 30 candidates to decide which 10 they want to accept, this causes a problem for those not selected as they've been unable to formally apply elsewhere in the meantime. That could mean losing-out on other Clearing opportunities.

The other approach is to do what it sounds each of your three unis are doing. Let's suppose they have the same 10 spaces and the same 20 to 30 applicants who pass the basic eligibility filter. Rather than having them all formally apply on UCAS Hub and then deciding which they want, they're deciding which they want first. That means, once they get back to you (perhaps on Monday, or maybe Tuesday) and give you the green light to enter their details into UCAS Hub and formally apply, they can instantly confirm your place. This approach prevents your Clearing application effectively being "locked" by the first university you contact.

It seems a better way of doing things to me. It clearly feels like you're in limbo right now, waiting for one of these three unis to get back to you. But that's better than one of them immediately asking you to enter their courses details into UCAS Hub - only to decline you a week later. Does that make sense?

yes, that makes a lot more sense. Thank you so much.

Do you think there's a possibility of me getting rejected from all those unis?

I mean I already had a place at Derby, it's just I didn't quite meet the grade requirements and have asked them to move me to the foundation course. Do you think Derby will reject me for that?

Sorry, i m just so paranoid and anxious rn that I don't even know if what I m writing is grammatically correct or not.
yes, that makes a lot more sense. Thank you so much.

Do you think there's a possibility of me getting rejected from all those unis?

I mean I already had a place at Derby, it's just I didn't quite meet the grade requirements and have asked them to move me to the foundation course. Do you think Derby will reject me for that?

Sorry, i m just so paranoid and anxious rn that I don't even know if what I m writing is grammatically correct or not.

There is a possibility that they'll all reject you, yes.

However, you've done the right thing by contacting multiple universities (either to apply through Clearing or to switch to the "with foundation year" option, in the case of Derby). Each time you do this you reduce the likelihood that they'll all decline to offer you a place.

Unfortunately, there's little else you can do right now. Try to do something this weekend to take your mind off uni (and yes, I know that will likely be impossible), and then make contact with each of them again on Monday.

When you do, a key question you could ask them is, "Are you still accepting expressions of interest for this course?" That would tell you whether the pool of people you're competing against is now static. You could then ask, "How many people are competing for how many places?" That might help you understand your odds.

They may decline to answer either question, but it does no harm to ask! :smile:
@lamiyak0002
In addition to @DataVenia's advice, I would suggest that you use your time over the weekend to prepare for interviews. With the exception of Derby (where I presume you had an interview for your original offer), it is more than likely that you will be interviewed for a place on a DR course.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 9
There is a possibility that they'll all reject you, yes.

However, you've done the right thing by contacting multiple universities (either to apply through Clearing or to switch to the "with foundation year" option, in the case of Derby). Each time you do this you reduce the likelihood that they'll all decline to offer you a place.

Unfortunately, there's little else you can do right now. Try to do something this weekend to take your mind off uni (and yes, I know that will likely be impossible), and then make contact with each of them again on Monday.

When you do, a key question you could ask them is, "Are you still accepting expressions of interest for this course?" That would tell you whether the pool of people you're competing against is now static. You could then ask, "How many people are competing for how many places?" That might help you understand your odds.

They may decline to answer either question, but it does no harm to ask! :smile:

Thank you so so sooo much.

I feel that talking to u has relieved me of my anxiousness a little bit.

I will call Sheffiled and derby a call today as their clearing hotline is open.

Thank you again :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by normaw
In addition to DataVenia's advice, I would suggest that you use your time over the weekend to prepare for interviews. With the exception of Derby (where I presume you had an interview for your original offer), it is more than likely that you will be interviewed for a place on a DR course.

I will go over my derby interview notes and do some other research.

It's going to be very hard to take my mind off of this situation but I will try my best.

Thank you so much!
I have applied ( back story I didn't apply through UCAS this year I am a mature student) online through clearing and the capped late on Friday and I was working 😭 and early this morning and I was sleeping 😭 I didn't know they made calls over the weekend I feel like I've missed it 1 too many time they'll probably rejected me 😢
Reply 12
Original post by Meeemeeemee
I have applied ( back story I didn't apply through UCAS this year I am a mature student) online through clearing and the capped late on Friday and I was working 😭 and early this morning and I was sleeping 😭 I didn't know they made calls over the weekend I feel like I've missed it 1 too many time they'll probably rejected me 😢

Try giving them a call back.

Before giving me a call they sent me as saying that they will give me a call later.

But yh don't lose hope try emailing them or giving them a call
Have you had your call and how was it?
They did send me that email and I then took my lunch break (I was working that day) but they called 4 hours after the email. I assumed after the email that they would be calling soon within 30 minutes or so
Has anyone applied for Diagnostic Radiography at Sheffield Hallam through clearing after receiving your A-level results?

What have they said?

For me, they said that I am eligible to study the course and everything and so they have submitted my application for the course bcoz they were still places available.

After that, I have been told to wait for a call.

It is been a whole day and I have received no call from them.

Is there anybody out there who is in the same position as me?

heyyy! oh no im so sorry about tht must be stressful
did u get any replies then?
im in a same stressful position too
i wanna go BCU but i got accepted by Leicester and missed the ucas deadline to swap my firm and insurance choices. BCU is full and isnt agrreing to give me a place now. is anyone whos going BCU for diagnostic radiography up for swapping with me if the unis allow it?=))
uni of Leicester has a better ranking of 38th whilst BCU has a ranking of 90th out of 130unis in the uk. i wanna go BCU cuz its closer to home so its easier for me.
Reply 15
Original post by Meeemeeemee
Have you had your call and how was it?
They did send me that email and I then took my lunch break (I was working that day) but they called 4 hours after the email. I assumed after the email that they would be calling soon within 30 minutes or so

Yes, they did call me. They just wanted to check if all my information was correct. They then asked if I was available to do the interview the same day and I said yes and that was that.

I did the interview. Once you get sent the email for the interview you have 3 hours after that to finish the interview. I would say it was quite intense but for me, I think it went well because I have done interviews before so yh.
Reply 16
Original post by bismah_ahmed02
heyyy! oh no im so sorry about tht must be stressful
did u get any replies then?
im in a same stressful position too
i wanna go BCU but i got accepted by Leicester and missed the ucas deadline to swap my firm and insurance choices. BCU is full and isnt agrreing to give me a place now. is anyone whos going BCU for diagnostic radiography up for swapping with me if the unis allow it?=))
uni of Leicester has a better ranking of 38th whilst BCU has a ranking of 90th out of 130unis in the uk. i wanna go BCU cuz its closer to home so its easier for me.

Nope, no replies.

I wanted to go to Leicester but when I called they were all full!!!
Nope, no replies.

I wanted to go to Leicester but when I called they were all full!!!

yh thts the problem, bcu is full full as well. nearly every uni with diagnostic rad is full. however if u wnna go leiceter u can also apply to dmu they are in leicester as well and are in clearign for diagnostic radiography.=)
goodluck with the sheffiled appiacaiton
I applied but with an Access course but I only did 6 physics modules and they require 9.... is anyone applying to this course with an Access course? If so does anyone have anything less than 9 physics grades and did they still let you interview? I applied before results day so maybe they didn't drop their entry requirements but I might just reapply again now since results day has passed
Yes, they did call me. They just wanted to check if all my information was correct. They then asked if I was available to do the interview the same day and I said yes and that was that.

I did the interview. Once you get sent the email for the interview you have 3 hours after that to finish the interview. I would say it was quite intense but for me, I think it went well because I have done interviews before so yh.

Thank you the interview was it MMI online or was it one of those were you record yourself answering the questions. I'll definitely give them a call tomorrow

Quick Reply

Latest