The Student Room Group

My A-Levels are good but my GCSE’s are terrible. Is it worth applying to RG’s

Well here’s the story: I went to a terrible school, when I mean terrible mean being in a school that was ranked 200+ in a list of 212 schools (I believe). I did Triple science not as a lesson but during my lunchtimes and all my other subjects were with teachers who sucked the excitement and enjoyment out of the subject. With my own fault aswell I came out with 1B 7C’s 4D’s and 1E. The was in English Lit, and I got C’s in Maths and Numeracy. I got the **** out there as soon as I got the chance and basically begged to join another schools sixth form. I did Maths English Lit and Psych with Welsh Bac.

It was at the second school I began to really do well, my teachers actually liked teaching and I wasn’t in a school environment where I didn’t have to worry about being having to fight anyone. I kept my head in a book all year and come results day I got: ABB. Significant improvement considering there were kids in my class who got A* at GCSE getting U’s and E’s in Maths.

So now here I am. I crushed Welsh Bac and am projected to an A*. I’m predicted A* in Psychology as I got close to perfect UMS and I’m predicted a B in Maths and English respectively.

I want the best for myself (obviously) and with those grades I can apply to some pretty good universities but my school always says RG’s really value good GCSE’s and if we’re being honest in comparison to everyone in my year GCSE’s are utter ****e. Is it even worth applying. For reference I was wanting to apply to Southampton, Warwick, UEA/Swansea, Bangor and Aberystwyth to study Psychology.

Is it even worth applying even if I have A*A*AB-A*A*BB?

Scroll to see replies

Uni’s love nothing more than improvement it shows your dedication and that it won’t be a waste letting you in , Id email the administration board of the uni and just explaining your gcse results were bad ( don’t blame the teachers accept responsibility) and that you were not okay and worked hard to bring yourself up to A’s it’s a risk but one that has high potential of paying off
Original post by GoogGooglyMoogly
Well here’s the story: I went to a terrible school, when I mean terrible mean being in a school that was ranked 200+ in a list of 212 schools (I believe). I did Triple science not as a lesson but during my lunchtimes and all my other subjects were with teachers who sucked the excitement and enjoyment out of the subject. With my own fault aswell I came out with 1B 7C’s 4D’s and 1E. The was in English Lit, and I got C’s in Maths and Numeracy. I got the **** out there as soon as I got the chance and basically begged to join another schools sixth form. I did Maths English Lit and Psych with Welsh Bac.

It was at the second school I began to really do well, my teachers actually liked teaching and I wasn’t in a school environment where I didn’t have to worry about being having to fight anyone. I kept my head in a book all year and come results day I got: ABB. Significant improvement considering there were kids in my class who got A* at GCSE getting U’s and E’s in Maths.

So now here I am. I crushed Welsh Bac and am projected to an A*. I’m predicted A* in Psychology as I got close to perfect UMS and I’m predicted a B in Maths and English respectively.

I want the best for myself (obviously) and with those grades I can apply to some pretty good universities but my school always says RG’s really value good GCSE’s and if we’re being honest in comparison to everyone in my year GCSE’s are utter ****e. Is it even worth applying. For reference I was wanting to apply to Southampton, Warwick, UEA/Swansea, Bangor and Aberystwyth to study Psychology.

Honestly for a terrible school I think you got ok results. I would think the universities will look at the average GCSE grades in your school and rank you based on those (This may not be true btw) And they would see that you have mad a massive change and that you are working hard so there is a very good chance.
Original post by Cstubbings
Uni’s love nothing more than improvement it shows your dedication and that it won’t be a waste letting you in , Id email the administration board of the uni and just explaining your gcse results were bad ( don’t blame the teachers accept responsibility) and that you were not okay and worked hard to bring yourself up to A’s it’s a risk but one that has high potential of paying off

So do I just hit them up explain my circumstances? That’s fine but do I do it after I’ve applied or before? I’ll be sure to try it though.
Yes. In fact, I think you could aim higher. You shouldn't be considering Bangor and Aberystwyth with those grades (unless you actually like them and haven't just put them down as safety choices).

I know someone with worse A levels and GCSEs that got an offer from Royal Holloway and UEA for Psych.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Swifter221
Honestly for a terrible school I think you got ok results. I would think the universities will look at the average GCSE grades in your school and rank you based on those (This may not be true btw) And they would see that you have mad a massive change and that you are working hard so there is a very good chance.

Whilst I won’t fully take you at your word. Thanks for the advice. It’s a bit reassuring to think they just might contextualise my situation. I’ve really try-harded my ass off and really fought to be able to apply. I don’t want my **** past to hinder me in the path I’m creating for myself.

I think it is worth applying, RGs may value GSCE's but they value A-level grades far far more.

tbh the only RG's that realllyyyy look at GSCE's at the most competitive ones (Oxbridge, Durham). I got into a good RG with my alevel grades, and the only GSCE's they asked about were my maths and English.

when it comes down to it, APPLY! If you never ask the answer is always no (what's the worst that will happen if you apply?)
Reply 7
Man I'm so sick of these threads. As long as you got at least 5 A*-Cs and you're not applying to oxbridge, you will be fine.
Original post by Patagonia
Yes. In fact, I think you could aim higher. You shouldn't be considering Bangor and Aberystwyth with those grades (unless you actually like them and haven't just put them down as safety choices).

Aber, I have done a summer school at and have an ore determined offer of two E’s so it’s a back up choice. Bangor just because I’m doubting my own ability if I really had the choice I’d apply all RG’s and try get into one of my dream schools: Durham or Southampton but right now it all seems a bit far because my GCSE’s aren’t the best.
Wow that is a massive improvement u should be proud of yourself! Definitely apply to the unis
Original post by IzzyGC
I think it is worth applying, RGs may value GSCE's but they value A-level grades far far more.

tbh the only RG's that realllyyyy look at GSCE's at the most competitive ones (Oxbridge, Durham). I got into a good RG with my alevel grades, and the only GSCE's they asked about were my maths and English.

when it comes down to it, APPLY! If you never ask the answer is always no (what's the worst that will happen if you apply?)

I mean I’ve only got 5 choices. If I do apply I might be setting myself up for full rejection rather than applying to a non-RG (not like they are bad but they carry slightly less name value) where I may fair a better chance.
I mean I’ve only got 5 choices. If I do apply I might be setting myself up for full rejection rather than applying to a non-RG (not like they are bad but they carry slightly less name value) where I may fair a better chance.

if you're really that worried, apply to two RG, 2 non-RG but still good and 1 meh university. Give yourself a full range and you'll get your answer
Original post by .unknown
Wow that is a massive improvement u should be proud of yourself! Definitely apply to the unis

Thanks! It just all clicked once I started enjoying my subjects for once. I also got into a peer group that allowed me to keep motivated as everyone was working towards the same goal. My school choice genuinely changed my life.
Original post by IzzyGC
if you're really that worried, apply to two RG, 2 non-RG but still good and 1 meh university. Give yourself a full range and you'll get your answer

That’s what my plan is so far: Southampton, Warwick/Notts or some other RG, UEA/Swansea, Bangor and Aber. Just gotta come to a conclusion innit.

I know someone with worse A levels and GCSEs that got an offer from Royal Holloway and UEA for Psych.

That’s so good! I was thinking of applying to Royal but I can’t afford london :/
(edited 4 years ago)
So do I just hit them up explain my circumstances? That’s fine but do I do it after I’ve applied or before? I’ll be sure to try it though.

I’d apply and then send the email , or ask for an interview with the board to explain your circumstances , good luck
That’s so good! I was thinking of applying to Royal but I can’t afford london :/

You should contact the admissions depts of your dream unis and ask them what their view would be given grades and circumstances. You have plenty of time. Also go to open days and speak to tutors. You should be doing this anyway. Aim high most lesser unis will be in clearing anyway. I emailed my daughters top 5 last year and got positive responses from all 5. She also got 5 offers. So be bold.
Original post by Scotney
You should contact the admissions depts of your dream unis and ask them what their view would be given grades and circumstances. You have plenty of time. Also go to open days and speak to tutors. You should be doing this anyway. Aim high most lesser unis will be in clearing anyway. I emailed my daughters top 5 last year and got positive responses from all 5. She also got 5 offers. So be bold.

What subject btw?
Aber, I have done a summer school at and have an ore determined offer of two E’s so it’s a back up choice. Bangor just because I’m doubting my own ability if I really had the choice I’d apply all RG’s and try get into one of my dream schools: Durham or Southampton but right now it all seems a bit far because my GCSE’s aren’t the best.

Drop Bangor, it sounds like a wasted choice when you're almost guaranteed offers from UEA and Aber.
(edited 4 years ago)
Drop Bangor, it sounds like a wasted choice when you're almost guaranteed offers from UEA and Aber.

I’ll think about it haha. Not super sure on what to replace it with but I’m feeling a hit kore confident now to try apply to higher uni’s.

Quick Reply

Latest