The Student Room Group

Yr 11 tips

Hi everyone, I’m a student going into year 11 in September and I’m just wondering if anyone has any good revision tips and tricks ( and when I should start revising) for getting 7/8/9’s at GCSE I’ll write the subjects I have taken below and their exam boards.

English Literature and Language (AQA)
Need tips for the poetry comparison section mainly but all are appreciated.
English Literature: An Inspector Calls and A Christmas Carol. Power and conflict poetry.

Maths (OCR)
Really need revision tips for maths as may take it at A level as I would like to do physics. (However, I don’t particularly enjoy maths and am hoping to try to change that and get a high grade)

Biology, Chemistry and Physics (AQA)

Drama (OCR)
We haven’t really done much question based things in class so I really don’t know how to prepare for the longer questions in the exams?? We’re doing Blood Brothers. DNA or An Inspector Calls for the part you have to perform.

Spanish (AQA)
Need help with how to revise for the listening exam.

Geography (AQA)
I’m going to year 11 too and I’m also hoping for those grades but am pretty clueless on when to start revising and how to revise tbh:smile:
Reply 2
start the revision from September slowly instead of cramming it in later. going into year 11 too so good luck lads
Reply 3
Hey I’m also in Year 10 but already have some tips for you :smile:

Spanish listening - try to listen to Spanish music or watch telenovelas. Such an easy way to helping you decipher it! If you’re not too keen on that, I think on Netflix you can change the audio to Spanish and keep English subtitles on on some shows so that’d be a really good way to practice also!

English Literature - sat the exam this year and definitely watch Stacey Reay for those higher level points to solidify top band grades :smile: Don’t focus too much on quotes etc but having unique points which stand out definitely show more knowledge and individuality in your essay.
For poetry try to find a poem that fits into all/most of the themes you have studied and learn of by heart as you can compare in the exam. Try to remember 3/5 q quotes from each poem that have techniques. Learn 4/5 other poems well that fit in to the poem you chose incase that one comes up
Original post by carxlinefxrbes_
Hi everyone, I’m a student going into year 11 in September and I’m just wondering if anyone has any good revision tips and tricks ( and when I should start revising) for getting 7/8/9’s at GCSE I’ll write the subjects I have taken below and their exam boards.

English Literature and Language (AQA)
Need tips for the poetry comparison section mainly but all are appreciated.
English Literature: An Inspector Calls and A Christmas Carol. Power and conflict poetry.

Maths (OCR)
Really need revision tips for maths as may take it at A level as I would like to do physics. (However, I don’t particularly enjoy maths and am hoping to try to change that and get a high grade)

Biology, Chemistry and Physics (AQA)

Drama (OCR)
We haven’t really done much question based things in class so I really don’t know how to prepare for the longer questions in the exams?? We’re doing Blood Brothers. DNA or An Inspector Calls for the part you have to perform.

Spanish (AQA)
Need help with how to revise for the listening exam.

Geography (AQA)

Check out a YouTuber called Ali Abdaal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukLnPbIffxE&t=5s
Check this video out.
Reply 6
Original post by ellacloudy_
For poetry try to find a poem that fits into all/most of the themes you have studied and learn of by heart as you can compare in the exam. Try to remember 3/5 q quotes from each poem that have techniques. Learn 4/5 other poems well that fit in to the poem you chose incase that one comes up

3/5 quotes from each poem is not enough for the top grades need 6-7 at least
Maths

Do as many practice papers and questions as possible as I have found this is the only way to really improve
Also mathswatch is really useful if you don't unsure of a topic
Science

Again do lots of exam papers

Have a look at Primrose kitten and free science lessons on youtube
Original post by Eesah A
3/5 quotes from each poem is not enough for the top grades need 6-7 at least

Nah someone last year got a 9 only using 2 quotes in his essay
Geography

Write out case studies in detail then keep rewriting throughout the year but condensing info but make sure you remember some statistics.

I made mindmaps for each topic so I would suggest doing that or something similar soon as it will help for last minute revision before the exam
I'm doing Geography AQA as well, I find it the hardest, what bout you?
For English Literature- definitely I would say look at quotes, do not only memorise the quote but any top level analysis you can find on the quote . It saves you Time in the exam and worked very well for me. 4 quotes is enough for each poem . I only used 3 per poem in the comparison (so in total used 6).

For an inspector calls- find quotes and analysis per character. Link many themes to each character. Because themes can be used as well in the character question.

For maths - I cannot stress this enough . PAST PAPERS. They repeat questions in similar ways that you may not notice at first . you can also get used to answering questions that you’ve never seen before as well.

Chemistry - believe it or not PAST PAPERS AGAIN. In the 2019 exams I sat, I remember seeing 3 questions that appeared in the specimen 2 paper . Questions really are repeated. Make sure to make your notes early on in the year so you can memorise as you go along

Biology - once again a required practical question was repeated from the 2018 exams in the 2019 exams . Whenever you answer exam questions - think about the topic they link to and apply your knowledge to the question
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by twahaa
Hey I’m also in Year 10 but already have some tips for you :smile:

Spanish listening - try to listen to Spanish music or watch telenovelas. Such an easy way to helping you decipher it! If you’re not too keen on that, I think on Netflix you can change the audio to Spanish and keep English subtitles on on some shows so that’d be a really good way to practice also!

English Literature - sat the exam this year and definitely watch Stacey Reay for those higher level points to solidify top band grades :smile: Don’t focus too much on quotes etc but having unique points which stand out definitely show more knowledge and individuality in your essay.

Thank you I'll be sure to listen to some telenovelas - will I just find them on youtube or are there specific websites?
Original post by Lukeman100
Check out a YouTuber called Ali Abdaal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukLnPbIffxE&t=5s
Check this video out.

Thank you, this video was actually really helpful! :smile:
Original post by ellacloudy_
Geography

Write out case studies in detail then keep rewriting throughout the year but condensing info but make sure you remember some statistics.

I made mindmaps for each topic so I would suggest doing that or something similar soon as it will help for last minute revision before the exam

Thank you, I think I might try to do the mindmaps although they don't always necessarily help me - I'll try them for a mock I have coming up!

The case studies idea of rewriting them sounds good to me as that's how I revise usually, I have to write out the info to learn it.
Original post by snow.fall15
I'm doing Geography AQA as well, I find it the hardest, what bout you?

Geography is one of the hardest subjects I do due to the amount of information you are required to know regarding case studies. I also can never seem to answer longer questions about CS's as I just forget to link things together even though I know the information when we go over mark schemes.
Original post by Revisionaddict
For English Literature- definitely I would say look at quotes, do not only memorise the quote but any top level analysis you can find on the quote . It saves you Time in the exam and worked very well for me. 4 quotes is enough for each poem . I only used 3 per poem in the comparison (so in total used 6).

For an inspector calls- find quotes and analysis per character. Link many themes to each character. Because themes can be used as well in the character question.

For maths - I cannot stress this enough . PAST PAPERS. They repeat questions in similar ways that you may not notice at first . you can also get used to answering questions that you’ve never seen before as well.

Chemistry - believe it or not PAST PAPERS AGAIN. In the 2019 exams I sat, I remember seeing 3 questions that appeared in the specimen 2 paper . Questions really are repeated. Make sure to make your notes early on in the year so you can memorise as you go along

Biology - once again a required practical question was repeated from the 2018 exams in the 2019 exams . Whenever you answer exam questions - think about the topic they link to and apply your knowledge to the question

Just wondering about the memorising quotes bit since I haven't yet sat a mock lit paper with the poetry section in - do you not get given a blank copy of the poem that you need to compare another to? (Or do I need to learn the 3 quotes per poem so I can use them as the comparison? Could I get away with just learning quotes from specific poems that fit the majority of the key power and conflict themes?)

Also, thank you for the information regarding past papers, I will definitely try to get some done (especially for maths)!
Reply 18
Thank you I'll be sure to listen to some telenovelas - will I just find them on youtube or are there specific websites?

I’m pretty sure you’ll find a few on YouTube if you just search up Spanish telenovelas :smile:

Geography is one of the hardest subjects I do due to the amount of information you are required to know regarding case studies. I also can never seem to answer longer questions about CS's as I just forget to link things together even though I know the information when we go over mark schemes.

What I do when it comes to learning new case studies is doing 12 markers right after I learn the knowledge really helps. Also when you see a question i.e. the economic development of deserts, just write around the question your ideas like “hard because machinery can’t move in” etc. You’ll then have a good idea of what you need to write and make sure you don’t go offtopic :smile:
Personally for maths, I would do a lot a lot of past year papers. I did Edexcel maths last year I mean on June 2019 we got like specimen papers from Edexcel bcuz there isn’t much past years we could do so ya I did a lot of that. I think the best way to prepare for exam is through exams. And I think u can also teach or explain to your friends, and that helps for sciences too!!! Hope it’s helpful XD

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending