The Student Room Group

Proteins- (A-level Biology)

Hello guys,
Can anyone tell me how a functional group have one or more polypeptides?
Thankssss
Reply 1
Original post by 17ehoque
Hello guys,
Thankssss

I don't get what the question is,

But the amino acids that form polypeptide chains have an amine group and a carboxyl group as distinct functional groups, and each of the 21 different amino acids have a variable 'R-group' that consists of atoms of elements, which is different for each amino acid.

I hope this made sense to you my friend !!

MOD EDIT (Advertising reference removed)
Hello guys,
Thankssss

This question doesn't make sense. A polypeptide is a protein, and a functional group is a group of atoms responsible for the properties of a compound.
Reply 3
Original post by lhh2003

But the amino acids that form polypeptide chains have an amine group and a carboxyl group as distinct functional groups, and each of the 21 different amino acids have a variable 'R-group' that consists of atoms of elements, which is different for each amino acid.

Please check out my YouTube channel !! I post videos on studying. Hopefully you get something out of it. :smile:https://www.youtube.com

Okayyy Thank you very much :-)
Original post by lhh2003

MOD EDIT advertising removed

If you can't answer the question (maybe because it doesn't make sense) then it would be better not to just vomit up information you can remember about proteins in general instead before advertising your youtube channel. It doesn't help anyone.
Reply 5
Original post by Huckipity
This question doesn't make sense. A polypeptide is a protein, and a functional group is a group of atoms responsible for the properties of a compound.

Thanks for ur help anyway :-)
Thanks for ur help anyway :-)

Why don't you write the question out as it appears on your paper, as the way you've phrased it doesn't make any sense?
Original post by Reality Check
If you can't answer the question (maybe because it doesn't make sense) then it would be better not to just vomit up information you can remember about proteins in general instead before advertising your youtube channel. It doesn't help anyone.

Thanks for making me giggle! :h:
Reply 8
Why don't you write the question out as it appears on your paper, as the way you've phrased it doesn't make any sense?

Lool sorry, it was just a word mistake, but it's "Can you explain that (and how) a functional protein contains one or more polypeptides? "
Lool sorry, it was just a word mistake, but it's "Can you explain that (and how) a functional protein contains one or more polypeptides? "

:smile: No problem. What's the question related to, in terms of topic. I think it might be getting at the fact that functional proteins such as, say, haemoglobin are comprised of more than one polypeptide chain: these chains associate themselves via forces such as hydrophobic interactions creating the quaternary structure. In other words, functional proteins often comprise more than one polypeptide chain and the individual chains interact with each other to form a three-dimensional structure. In a oligomeric protein, each individual chain the protein is called a subunit.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 10
:smile: No problem. What's the question related to, in terms of topic. I think it might be getting at the fact that functional proteins such as, say, haemoglobin are comprised of more than one polypeptide chain: these chains associate themselves via forces such as hydrophobic interactions creating the quaternary structure. In other words, functional proteins often comprise more than one polypeptide chain and the individual chains interact with each other to form a three-dimensional structure. In a oligomeric protein, each individual chain the protein is called a subunit.

Ohhh that makes sense, at first I didn't really get the question but thank youuu!!
Ohhh that makes sense, at first I didn't really get the question but thank youuu!!

No problems :smile:
Original post by lhh2003

Stop being so arrogant and dramatic over a discussion on TSR. Go get a job or somethin’

You couldn't answer the question the OP asked, nor tease out the relevant information to allow you to find the answer. I could. All you had to offer was an advert for your Youtube channel.

Rather than be childishly offensive, try improving your answers and your deductive reasoning. You might be more helpful then.
Reply 13
Original post by lhh2003
The “question” had the words functional group and polypeptide in it. Using basic common sense , I told him information of how the two are related.

Stop being so arrogant and dramatic over a discussion on TSR. Go get a job or somethin’

How rude, it's a "her" not "him"
You couldn't answer the question the OP asked, nor tease out the relevant information to allow you to find the answer. I could. All you had to offer was an advert for your Youtube channel.

Rather than be childishly offensive, try improving your answers and your deductive reasoning. You might be more helpful then.

Someone knows how to use adverbs !!

And clearly I could. The OP was very grateful, my brother. There’s no reason to carry resent around in you- it gnaws away to you. Just let it all go.
Reply 15

Lol why would you waste your time arguing about nonsense
How rude, it's a "her" not "him

We’re literally fighting over you. She’s mine , @Reality Check !! :wink:
Lol why would you waste your time arguing about nonsense

I know - it's a bad habit. I'm glad I could help you though :smile: Those posts will be deleted anyway, because they're just an advert for Youtube, rather than a serious attempt to answer your question. Sorry about that!
Reply 18
I know - it's a bad habit. I'm glad I could help you though :smile: Those posts will be deleted anyway, because they're just an advert for Youtube, rather than a serious attempt to answer your question. Sorry about that!

It's okay 。◕‿◕。
Reply 19
Original post by lhh2003
We’re literally fighting over you. She’s mine , @Reality Check !! :wink:

Wth 😂

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending