The Student Room Group

GCSE A*

So, in my gcse I am aiming for 7 and above; especially, the 9 (A**). Can you guys please tell me what I can do to get this and when should I be revising for my GCSE at which month. Also, how did you revise for your GCSE.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by shainaaa.aaaa12
So, in my gcse I am aiming for 7 and above; especially, the 9 (A**). Can you guys please tell me what I can do to get this and when should I be revising for my GCSE at which month. Also, how did you revise for your GCSE.

I'm aiming for grade 7 and above as well and I have one of my REAL exams (Information tech) next week and I'm rewriting my notes so I can thoroughly go through them rather than just skimming them. I am doing a lot of past papers so I can improve my exam techniques as I am struggling the most in that. I try to plan/ answer exam-style long answer questions that give scenarios. You should make all ur notes before March/ start of April and then revise from then onwards with quizzes and websites. You could do past papers and ask ur teacher to mark them and give u feedback. You could try making mind maps or flashcards which are colourful and have short notes on them.
Hope that helped
Original post by hallaluliah
I'm aiming for grade 7 and above as well and I have one of my REAL exams (Information tech) next week and I'm rewriting my notes so I can thoroughly go through them rather than just skimming them. I am doing a lot of past papers so I can improve my exam techniques as I am struggling the most in that. I try to plan/ answer exam-style long answer questions that give scenarios. You should make all ur notes before March/ start of April and then revise from then onwards with quizzes and websites. You could do past papers and ask ur teacher to mark them and give u feedback. You could try making mind maps or flashcards which are colourful and have short notes on them.
Hope that helped

What did you take for your gcse? Also what year are you? I am in year 10.
What did you take for your gcse? Also what year are you? I am in year 10.

I'm in year 11 and I take:
Maths
Combined science
Religious studies
Geography
Information tech
English lit and lang
and french.
wbu?
Maths
Combined science
Religious studies
Geography
Information tech
English lit and lang
and french.
wbu?

I started december year 11 with light revision, I remember Seneca being a useful resource at the time
Reply 5

Practice questions, past papers ( even the old spec ) and specimen papers
Reply 6

I mean I would probs start revising now, but Feb at the latest - depends how good you are at absorbing info, as for revision use the specs, annotate them etc. Revision cards are also good and I found Seneca useful
Maths
Combined science
Religious studies
Geography
Information tech
English lit and lang
and french.
wbu?

I take:
Maths
Science - Combined
English Language and Literature
Geography
Business
Art - I am not good at Art.
The thing is that I am not good at Art and I do not know why I took it. I really wanted to do Health and Social care but it happens at the same time Business happens. I should have taken history but it was too late. Any advice? Also, in maths science english those are the two main subjects to focus on I really want to get an 8 on that, wbu?
Maths
Combined science
Religious studies
Geography
Information tech
English lit and lang
and french.
wbu?

Can you please mention how you lay your study time table out: how many hours you revise for each subject? How much subjects you do on a daily basis? Also I take RE also, sorry, I forgot to mention it.
Original post by AliceAA
I mean I would probs start revising now, but Feb at the latest - depends how good you are at absorbing info, as for revision use the specs, annotate them etc. Revision cards are also good and I found Seneca useful

Do you know where you can find specification
Reply 10
I'm currently doing my a-levels, in my opinion, just do alot of exam technique practice,past papers etc. Make flashcards, i really regret not doing this in GCSE's. Try to pre-read ahead of your lessons, keep notes tidy etc.
Reply 11

Just search the exam board e.g. AQA, edexcel etc. along with the subject e.g. maths. then just type spec/specification and you will find it
Reply 12
I take:
Maths
Science - Combined
English Language and Literature
Geography
Business
Art - I am not good at Art.
The thing is that I am not good at Art and I do not know why I took it. I really wanted to do Health and Social care but it happens at the same time Business happens. I should have taken history but it was too late. Any advice? Also, in maths science english those are the two main subjects to focus on I really want to get an 8 on that, wbu?

Health & social care is trash lol you’re not missing out on anything 😂I should have taken business instead
Original post by dzifa19
Health & social care is trash lol you’re not missing out on anything 😂I should have taken business instead

What do you learn at health and social care?

Hey, Year 12 here!

Stupidly, I burned myself out revising for my mocks and what not- to the extent that when it came to my actual exams I was beyond exhausted, and just wanted it all to be over. Obviously, you want to avoid this. Most of your teachers will likely say that the earlier you start revising the better, but I disagree heavily with this. It's how to burn yourself out quickly and... well, quite painfully. Rather, I would start revising mid to late February. I reckon that gives you a solid amount of time to revise everything to the best of your ability- but not excessively. In terms of the how, I used a lot of Senaca for subjects like science, history, RE and computer science (all of which I got 7s for, so it's a good way to achieve those grades). However, it's not so great when it comes to subjects like maths and english, at least in my opinion. My advice for those vital subjects is practice papers- especially maths. With english, re-read and review chapters and summaries, create moodboards and flashcards for the personality of characters, etc. Practice creative writing in your spare time, learn new words through reading other books. Whatever works for you.:smile:
Can you please mention how you lay your study time table out: how many hours you revise for each subject? How much subjects you do on a daily basis? Also I take RE also, sorry, I forgot to mention it.

well i don't really have a study timetable cuz i can't really stick to it lol instead i have a to do list of revision where i tick off the subject topics i revised that way i don't miss anything out. i try to space my learning out in the weeks as my teacher says that its better to have 1 hour of revision in 8 says than 8 hours of revision in one day (cramming) but i still cram info the night b4 exams lol just like my friends and it sometimes work but its risky. You should revise max 30 min for each subject focusing on one topic and jump from one subject to another that links e.g. if ur learning rearraning equations in maths then jump to learning physics equations that u could rearrange etc... try to revise more on the topics u struggle in. don't revise too much in one go or else u won't learn anything. Try to do ur best in Art and talk with ur teacher/ go to interventions etc...
Reply 16
What do you learn at health and social care?

Right now i learn about PIES physical, intellectual, emotional and social development. For my coursework I have to do a written piece about a chosen celebrity and write about their holistic development in 3 life stages ( I have chosen early childhood, adolescence & early adulthood ) I also have to talk about factors such as material possessions and wealth, diet... and how they linked and affected to the individual’s PIES. The coursework is so long and draining and I’ve missed the deadline by 2 months! I’m currently a L2M and my target is a L2D*! I’m good at it but it’s too much. I also do history and Spanish and it’s just stress tbh💆🏿*♀️

Yeah just google your exam board and your subject , or go on the exam board website. If you want to tell me your subjects and exam boards I can help you find them
Original post by dzifa19
Right now i learn about PIES physical, intellectual, emotional and social development. For my coursework I have to do a written piece about a chosen celebrity and write about their holistic development in 3 life stages ( I have chosen early childhood, adolescence & early adulthood ) I also have to talk about factors such as material possessions and wealth, diet... and how they linked and affected to the individual’s PIES. The coursework is so long and draining and I’ve missed the deadline by 2 months! I’m currently a L2M and my target is a L2D*! I’m good at it but it’s too much. I also do history and Spanish and it’s just stress tbh💆🏿*♀️

I believe in you, you can do it!!! I know you are going to get the best grades!!! I really hope that you do very very good on the health and social care exam.
Original post by AliceAA
Yeah just google your exam board and your subject , or go on the exam board website. If you want to tell me your subjects and exam boards I can help you find them

Yes please and thank you!
Maths - edexcel
Science - biology, chemistry, physic - edexcel
English- AQA
Geography - AQA
Business - OCR
RE- WJEC
I know this is too much but I am so sorry because I tried to find them but couldn't but anyways thank you so much!

Quick Reply

Latest