The Student Room Group

Over 1000 EU financial firms planning to open UK offices after Brexit

More than 1000 banks, asset managers, payments firms and insurers from the European Union are planning to open offices in post-Brexit Britain so they can continue to serve UK clients.

The new offices would help financial firms counter the loss of business as unrestricted two-way access between the UK and EU comes to an end in December following a Brexit transition period.

https://www.cityam.com/over-1000-eu-financial-firms-planning-to-open-uk-offices-after-brexit/

Just to balance the act against what the professional doomsayers feed us 24/7. Yep, Brexit will decimate the City and then the whole planet is going to go up in smoke alright.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Addendum:

The British economy is set to outpace the eurozone in the first two years after Brexit, according to projections published today by the International Monetary Fund.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7908509/IMF-UK-economic-growth-dependent-orderly-Brexit.html

The real and truly relevant News are out there, we just have to know how and where to look for them. Alternatively, learn to avoid the sites that bury them.
Reply 2
The employment rate in the United Kingdom increased to an all-time high of 76.3 percent in the three months to November 2019, with job growth driven by hiring and self-employment. Employment Rate in the United Kingdom averaged 71.32 percent from 1971 until 2019, reaching an all time high of 76.30 percent in October of 2019 and a record low of 65.60 percent in March of 1983.

https://tradingeconomics.com/united-kingdom/employment-rate

Meanwhile, the opposition are in the process of electing new leader:

Ms Nandy said:

We are a nation of people who built the welfare state ourselves, and the architecture of modern Britain, and we could be again.
Applying to operate in a country doesn't mean that you will. Furthermore, a firm planning to set up presence in the UK does not mean that such presence will be substantial. There are literally thousands of financial firms out there and many of them are tiny and employ very few people.

How does this compare with the number of new firms starting each year before Brexit?
Reply 4
Many more have been and will continue to become negatively affected. Despite claims to the contrary, Brexit, for the majority who voted and campaigned for it, was not the slightest bit motivated by economic interests. It was, for the majority, motivated by racism. It will mostly have a negative economic impact on the UK. We have already seen this negative impact in the fall of the value of the British pound, which reflects global confidence in the British economy. I do not think its economic impact will be positive for the UK in the long run.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by z-hog
https://tradingeconomics.com/united-kingdom/employment-rate

Meanwhile, the opposition are in the process of electing new leader:

interestingly, all of their nominees are highly wealthy individuals with zero connections to the middle and lower class of society Labour claims to represent.
Reply 6
Original post by z-hog
Addendum:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7908509/IMF-UK-economic-growth-dependent-orderly-Brexit.html

The real and truly relevant News are out there, we just have to know how and where to look for them. Alternatively, learn to avoid the sites that bury them.

It literally says in the title that it is dependent on an orderly brexit... i.e. not a given.
Reply 7
Original post by SHallowvale
Applying to operate in a country doesn't mean that you will. Furthermore, a firm planning to set up presence in the UK does not mean that such presence will be substantial. There are literally thousands of financial firms out there and many of them are tiny and employ very few people.

That will be the half empty glass and of course that Remainers will see it that way but then they could have a substantial presence and employ many people for all we know. Agreed that they won't necessarily set up shop, they need to be granted a licence and some may be turned away. The point remains that London is open for business away from the EU constraints and regulations and that is in itself an asset, there will be healthy demand from the parts of the world where the money really is. That will be the half full version, you could have made it more uncomfortable by asking how this level compares with previous years. Good thing you didn't. :biggrin:

How does this compare with the number of new firms starting each year before Brexit?

Ha, good question. I don't have the figures but I'd expect them to be lower due to the uncertainty caused to business investment and decision-making by Remainers trying to sabotage Brexit at every step over the past three years. It took Farage to get this country going again, where's his knightood?

No comment on the optimistic IMF forecast or the record low unemployment?
Reply 8
Original post by Pinkisk
interestingly, all of their nominees are highly wealthy individuals with zero connections to the middle and lower class of society Labour claims to represent.

I've made RLB my preferred non-choice, she would be the most dangerous not only to the Conservatives but the country as a whole.
Reply 9
Original post by Napp
It literally says in the title that it is dependent on an orderly brexit... i.e. not a given.

Maybe but look... a disorderly (definition required) Brexit could impact the Euro forecast too so there. What matters is what makes the IMF forecast it the way they do.
Reply 10
Original post by z-hog
https://www.cityam.com/over-1000-eu-financial-firms-planning-to-open-uk-offices-after-brexit/

Just to balance the act against what the professional doomsayers feed us 24/7. Yep, Brexit will decimate the City and then the whole planet is going to go up in smoke alright.

How many new jobs from these 1000 temporary expressions of interest?

And many of the 228 Irish firms in that total may be basing themselves in Belfast, not the City of London...
Either way, even if the UK wins in the short term, then the EU punishes the UK in the medium term.

If the EU wins in the short term, then the UK tries to punish the EU in the medium term.

Either way this will be a long term battle between to very formidable opponents, neither of whom will want a clear economic winner..arguably for more noble reasons on the EU side like beneficial European integration and continuity. Possibly for more sinister self interested, populistic views on the UK side.
Original post by z-hog
I've made RLB my preferred non-choice, she would be the most dangerous not only to the Conservatives but the country as a whole.

Why do you feel this way about her? Do you think she is more puke inducing than Emily Thornberry or Jess Philips?
Reply 13
Original post by Doones
How many new jobs from these 1000 temporary expressions of interest?

That really is an impossible question for anyone to answer at this stage, is there a starting figure on how many are required to make it a good thing? This type of objection is to be expected from die-hard Remainers but it's hardly fruitful.

And many of the 228 Irish firms in that total may be basing themselves in Belfast, not the City of London...

Is that a problem, or the best one we can find?
Reply 14
Original post by Pinkisk
Why do you feel this way about her? Do you think she is more puke inducing than Emily Thornberry or Jess Philips?

She's the continuity candidate, if they manage to lower the voting age we're all doomed.
Reply 15
Original post by Realitysreflexx
Either way, even if the UK wins in the short term, then the EU punishes the UK in the medium term.

If the EU wins in the short term, then the UK tries to punish the EU in the medium term.

It's entirely optional to regard all this as a war, most people hopefully won't. This negativity will serve for nothing when everyone simply has to accept what has happened and step into the future with a spring in their step. Get over it, you Remaining lot. Tomorrow is the first day of the rest of your lives.
Original post by z-hog
She's the continuity candidate, if they manage to lower the voting age we're all doomed.

lol...I used to fully support lowering the voting age, then I did a little work experience in a couple of high schools and a university where the majority of students were 18 to 20 year olds...and yeah...I quickly learned how wrong I was supporting that idea...our 20 year olds have the minds of like 5 year olds and I am being generous here....but her alternatives are abysmal...Thornberry is a walking talking nightmare of the leftist extremist kind and Jess Philips makes Thornberry look like a right wing extremist...No matter who wins the Labour party is practically lost to the far left now.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by z-hog
It's entirely optional to regard all this as a war, most people hopefully won't. This negativity will serve for nothing when everyone simply has to accept what has happened and step into the future with a spring in their step. Get over it, you Remaining lot. Tomorrow is the first day of the rest of your lives.

Firstly, I'm a German citizen...(i don't care what you do I'm an EU citizen and that isn't changing, I've also been here long enough to come and go as i please) 😂 I'm looking at it from a broader more nuanced geopolitical and economic reality. The whole thing that got us into this mess, was Britain constantly wanting more... Until the EU finally said, you have your own currency... You have alot of "special rules". No we can't offer you more concessions. Now the UK has left, and wants alas more concessions for leaving.

This is simply untenable, it isn't that either side particularly wants a war.... But a conflict is inherently unavoidable... .. It's just unavoidable due to the circumstances of differing decisions on economic rules.

Either side that substantially backs down now, and in the future will always look to this point.

If the EU economy falls apart, brexit will be blamed internally.
If the UK economy falls apart the EU will be blamed.

Policy will be adjusted, to inherently improve either struggling economies prospects. This will come at the cost of the others....😂 Really basic man.
Original post by Pinkisk
lol...I used to fully support lowering the voting age, then I did a little work experience in a couple of high schools and a university where the majority of students were 18 to 20 year olds...and yeah...I quickly learned how wrong I was supporting that idea...our 20 year olds have the minds of like 5 year olds and I am being generous here....but her alternatives are abysmal...Thornberry is a walking talking nightmare of the leftist extremist kind and Jess Philips makes Thornberry look like a right wing extremist...No matter who wins the Labour party is practically lost to the far left now.

As the conservatives have already become the veiled far right. One nation conservatism, might have been founded by a confused former jew, but has become the linchpin of a populist UK government.
Reply 19
Original post by z-hog
Maybe but look... a disorderly (definition required) Brexit could impact the Euro forecast too so there. What matters is what makes the IMF forecast it the way they do.

Of course it would but an immutable fact is the UK gets hurt either way, especially with the cretin in the treasury threatening business.
Why does what the IMF say matter sorry?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending