The Student Room Group

Am I home student or international?

Hi,

I want to ask some clarification on whether I would be classified as a home student or international student when applying to universities in the UK. I have received different answers from different universities so I am a bit confused.

I am a UK national that has been living in the EU/EEA since brexit till now. According to the information on the UK government student finances page:
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/639860a3d3bf7f3f7e76245d/Eligibility_rules_for_home_fee_status_and_student_finance_from_the_2021_to_2022_academic_year.pdf

;I would be eligible for home fees fulfulling the following conditions:

- they were living in the EEA or Switzerland on 31 December 2020 (or have moved
back to the UK immediately after living in the EEA or Switzerland);
- and they have lived in the EEA, Switzerland, the UK or Gibraltar for at least the last three years; and
- they have lived continuously in the EEA, Switzerland, the UK or Gibraltar between 31 December 2020 and the start of the course.

So I am a bit lost as to whether I am eligible or not...
Original post by phoebenador
Hi,

I want to ask some clarification on whether I would be classified as a home student or international student when applying to universities in the UK. I have received different answers from different universities so I am a bit confused.

I am a UK national that has been living in the EU/EEA since brexit till now. According to the information on the UK government student finances page:
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/639860a3d3bf7f3f7e76245d/Eligibility_rules_for_home_fee_status_and_student_finance_from_the_2021_to_2022_academic_year.pdf

;I would be eligible for home fees fulfulling the following conditions:

- they were living in the EEA or Switzerland on 31 December 2020 (or have moved
back to the UK immediately after living in the EEA or Switzerland);
- and they have lived in the EEA, Switzerland, the UK or Gibraltar for at least the last three years; and
- they have lived continuously in the EEA, Switzerland, the UK or Gibraltar between 31 December 2020 and the start of the course.

So I am a bit lost as to whether I am eligible or not...

Hi Phoebe,

That's correct regarding the home fees as long as you match the criteria above. You would also need to be living in the UK prior to the first day of the first year of your course. So if your course begins this month you'd need to have been living in the UK on the 1st of January 2024. Thanks, Jason
Reply 2
Hi Jason, thanks for your help. Where do they say that? How would that work if I have to have been living in the EU for at least 3 years immediately before the start of the course?
Hi Jason, thanks for your help. Where do they say that? How would that work if I have to have been living in the EU for at least 3 years immediately before the start of the course?

Hi Phoebe,

When are you planning to move to the UK and when does your course begin? Thanks, Jason
Reply 4
My course begins in September and I am planning to move in April
My course begins in September and I am planning to move in April

Thanks so you would be living here prior to the 1st of September 2024. And had you been outside of the EU/EEA during the last 3 years? Thanks, Jason
Reply 6
No I've been living in the EU/EEA the past 3 years. Thanks! Phoebe
No I've been living in the EU/EEA the past 3 years. Thanks! Phoebe

Thank you and finally was this a temporary break and was this for school or work purposes? Thanks, Jason
Reply 8
Original post by SFE Jason
Thank you and finally was this a temporary break and was this for school or work purposes? Thanks, Jason

It was for school purposes, not sure if I would classify it as temporary or not as I have been moving countries my whole life. I come back to the UK every year to spend the holidays with my family.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending