The Student Room Group

Shamima Begum Loses 1st Stage of Appeal over Citizenship

"Shamima Begum has lost the first stage of her appeal against the government's decision to remove her UK citizenship.

A tribunal ruled that Ms Begum could be stripped of her nationality because she had not been left stateless.

The Special Immigration Appeals Commission (SIAC), a semi-secret court which hears national security cases, said she could instead turn to Bangladesh for citizenship.

Rejecting the 20-year-old's case that she had been left stateless, the Commission concluded that Ms Begum was "a citizen of Bangladesh by descent"."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51413040

Her lawyer is going to appeal this. However, the case will continue and next consider if there were legitimate security grounds to stop Begum from returning.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Good, she shouldn't be allowed back. She made her bed and now she has to lie in it.
Original post by Bio 7
Good, she shouldn't be allowed back. She made her bed and now she has to lie in it.

Agreed. Nothing else to say. She left. She shouldn’t be allowed back.
How much is this costing?
Reply 3
Original post by Sammylou40
Agreed. Nothing else to say. She left. She shouldn’t be allowed back.
How much is this costing?

Enough that it makes droning her seem like a preferable option for the tax payer i imagine.
What a shame
I hear this word "radicalised" a lot thrown about on the news. If that's what caused her to join this group ( being radicalised in Britain), then why shouldn't Britain deal with the problem? Rather than throwing her away to Bangladesh I think it was? She wasn't "radicalised" (if that's even a thing in the sense that it's used in the news) in Bangladesh, now they have to deal with her; yeah good for us, but it's unscrupulous to dump your problems on another country.
It's easy to feel emotion and I initially thought good leave the ***** there, but actions taken in these circumstances aren't supposed to determined by emotions but by austere, rigid rules.
On the other hand, with the lack of security in British prisons, I fear that her returning will create devastating consequences, with years in the failed Daesh, her connections to terrorists who exist in this country can cost lives. But there should be measures to prevent that, however I have little confidence that this country will prevent that with how they've treated terrorists in the past; it's almost always someone who was under surveillance or let out early or something.
Reply 6
Original post by NotNotBatman
I hear this word "radicalised" a lot thrown about on the news. If that's what caused her to join this group ( being radicalised in Britain), then why shouldn't Britain deal with the problem? Rather than throwing her away to Bangladesh I think it was? She wasn't "radicalised" (if that's even a thing in the sense that it's used in the news) in Bangladesh, now they have to deal with her; yeah good for us, but it's unscrupulous to dump your problems on another country.
It's easy to feel emotion and I initially thought good leave the ***** there, but actions taken in these circumstances aren't supposed to determined by emotions but by austere, rigid rules.
On the other hand, with the lack of security in British prisons, I fear that her returning will create devastating consequences, with years in the failed Daesh, her connections to terrorists who exist in this country can cost lives. But there should be measures to prevent that, however I have little confidence that this country will prevent that with how they've treated terrorists in the past; it's almost always someone who was under surveillance or let out early or something.

Exactly; wanting to ‘leave’ her elsewhere is arrogant and ignorant. The responsibility shouldn’t be passed on to another country.
Original post by JICMB77
Exactly; wanting to ‘leave’ her elsewhere is arrogant and ignorant. The responsibility shouldn’t be passed on to another country.

Tbf I dont believe she supported an organisation that wanted to bomb and murder Bangladeshis. so not really a risk to them.
The only bit she is unlucky about are the thousands of those posing a greater risk who are walking the streets having returned from their holiday with ISIS.
Original post by 999tigger
Tbf I dont believe she supported an organisation that wanted to bomb and murder Bangladeshis. so not really a risk to them.
The only bit she is unlucky about are the thousands of those posing a greater risk who are walking the streets having returned from their holiday with ISIS.

The UK invests in Bangladesh in terms of counter terrorism defence and the UK has historic ties with Bangladesh, with the United kingdom making up a chunk of the Bangla diaspora. Anyone cooperating with the UK is an enemy in the eyes of that "organisation". Bangladesh aren't just going to say well she didn't try to bomb us did she? We need to sustain the relationship and solidarity with Bangladesh.
The UK invests in Bangladesh in terms of counter terrorism defence and the UK has historic ties with Bangladesh, with the United kingdom making up a chunk of the Bangla diaspora. Anyone cooperating with the UK is an enemy in the eyes of that "organisation". Bangladesh aren't just going to say well she didn't try to bomb us did she? We need to sustain the relationship and solidarity with Bangladesh.

Didn't Begum say Bangladesh would execute her if she's deported there? Definitely makes the situation a bit more sticky if it's a genuine possibility. Pretty sure it's against UN human rights to send someone somewhere where they face persecution or death.

Not seeing your point.
ISIS arent sending or trying to send terrorists to blow up Bangladesh because apart from Bangladesh nobody cares much
Blow up 100 in London though and they hit the jackpot and are on the news.
Not seeing your point.
ISIS arent sending or trying to send terrorists to blow up Bangladesh because apart from Bangladesh nobody cares much
Blow up 100 in London though and they hit the jackpot and are on the news.

? Many attacks in Bangladesh by ISIS have happened.
Bangladesh have experienced threats from Islamists since they split from Pakistan.
Doesn't matter what they think is more important, a country that has been trying to crack down on Islamists since its inception is not going to consider what is important in the eyes of ISIS, but they're own country and the radicalisation didn't happen in their country.
? Many attacks in Bangladesh by ISIS have happened.
Bangladesh have experienced threats from Islamists since they split from Pakistan.
Doesn't matter what they think is more important, a country that has been trying to crack down on Islamists since its inception is not going to consider what is important in the eyes of ISIS, but they're own country and the radicalisation didn't happen in their country.

I would say the overwhelming public opinion is for her not to return to the UK if they can keep her out.
Up to the courts to decide if its legal.
Original post by Napp
Enough that it makes droning her seem like a preferable option for the tax payer i imagine.

Honestly surprised she hasn't simply vanished 'one way or another'
Original post by JICMB77

The mad deluded mare sewed people into their suicide vests. Leave her where she is. An adult now
The fact she may be entitled to (but not yet be) a citizen of another state should not be relevant. Lots of people are entitled to citizenship by descent, often without even knowing it. It's very dodgy ground.
I would say the overwhelming public opinion is for her not to return to the UK if they can keep her out.
Up to the courts to decide if its legal.

Public opinion from the UK?
Yes, probably, I wouldn't want her to return either. But I question the moral quality of the course of action. And no I'm not showing her any sympathy at all, in fact I'm the country Bangladesh.
Public opinion from the UK?
Yes, probably, I wouldn't want her to return either. But I question the moral quality of the course of action. And no I'm not showing her any sympathy at all, in fact I'm the country Bangladesh.

I would need to read the judgment. She didnt help herself by giving interviews and taunting the UK. Maybe a foolish girl, but it was a thought out choice to go and join a death cult. She isnt really big news any more.
Reply 18

Because whatever the legality of her being banned from ever returning it would be political suicide for any politician to not be seen to be doing their all to keep her away.
I will grant you it was a damn shabby and scurrilous move to try and dump her on the Bengalis (especially after they said there wasnt a hope in hell they would ever take her) with that being said i imagine the person whose idea it was to make the banglas the quasi scape goat here know full well its deeply unlikely she'll ever leave Syria anyway.
Original post by Napp
Because whatever the legality of her being banned from ever returning it would be political suicide for any politician to not be seen to be doing their all to keep her away.
I will grant you it was a damn shabby and scurrilous move to try and dump her on the Bengalis (especially after they said there wasnt a hope in hell they would ever take her) with that being said i imagine the person whose idea it was to make the banglas the quasi scape goat here know full well its deeply unlikely she'll ever leave Syria anyway.

I pretty much agree with all of this.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending