The Student Room Group

Coronavirus: UK moving towards 'delay' phase of virus plan as cases hit 115

Mod Edit: For advice, guidance and up-to-date information on Coronavirus/COVID-19, please check out the NHS and Government web-pages.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51749352

UK health officials are moving towards the second phase of their response to the coronavirus outbreak.
It comes as the number of UK people diagnosed with the virus reached 115, a rise of 30 since Wednesday.

As far as I can tell this looks like like it or not we are unable to contain it and a sufficient number of people will become infected by people who have not travelled outside the UK.

Students should still revise for their exams to be sat on the usual date. That is the only safe strategy.
You wont be prejudiced, but it wont surprise me if it develops as in other countries, then they could close non essential school and cancel non essential exams.

It could be an unprecedented situation or at least not seen in modern times for the UK.
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I suppose the combination of more people diagnosed and the first death in Britain from coronavirus is likely to mean the announcement of moving to the delay stage will happen sooner rather than later.
Reply 2
What does 'delay' phase of virus plan mean ?
Would that affect certain counties ?
Reply 3
Original post by najeb3
What does 'delay' phase of virus plan mean ?
Would that affect certain counties ?

Original post by londonmyst
I suppose the combination of more people diagnosed and the first death in Britain from coronavirus is likely to mean the announcement of moving to the delay stage will happen sooner rather than later.

Theres a good link here to what the 4 stage plan of the government is. I think this is less political as they are following the advice of the CMO and experts. Delay will mean they cant contain it and must take different actions to slow its spread.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-action-plan/coronavirus-action-plan-a-guide-to-what-you-can-expect-across-the-uk
What I’ve seen in my research is that in Italy people are starting to get infected and are dying without any pre existing health conditions or old age.
Original post by londonmyst

Although the government are now moving to weekly updates rather than daily updates
It’s utterly ridiculous 👆
Reply 7
Original post by Greywolftwo
What I’ve seen in my research is that in Italy people are starting to get infected and are dying without any pre existing health conditions or old age.

Pre existing and old are more vulnerable, but doesnt mean others are immune. The main point of my post was to point out things are changing now and we could have a much bigger problem. Might be more sensible now as to whether countires need to consider self quarantining.

If it develops into a much bigger event then it could affect the education system.
Students should still revise as normal though, thats the only safe strategy.
There are often posts complaining about not having study leave before exams. They may consider that.
The only important schooling are the exam dates for Y13 and to a lesser extent year 11.
Other years not so important for mocks or even lessons.
Although the government are now moving to weekly updates rather than daily updates

That has been cancelled although there will now be a 24 hour delay in annoucements.

That is supposedly for verification purposes, although it could well really be to give time for the powers that be to give some thought to what is happening. If you are announcing at 2PM the 9AM figures that you may only have collated at say 12 noon, there is not much time for critical thinking. Today's 2PM figures for 9AM today weren't announced until about 4PM.
It’s practically everywhere and the government and people are saying it can be spread coins and banknotes.
Reply 10
Original post by AJ_1_2_3
It’s practically everywhere and the government and people are saying it can be spread coins and banknotes.

Wait and see. If it was everywhere there would be a lot more reports.

Just use cashless and wash your hands regularly.
116 cases now and a death.

Really hope they act sooner rather than later. What's the point of waiting before the disease is very widespread before doing something significant?
I just saw that the virus has wiped $5 trillion of global stock markets, according to Reuters. It’s likely to double or maybe even triple at the height of the pandemic.
Reply 14
Original post by Treetop321
116 cases now and a death.

Really hope they act sooner rather than later. What's the point of waiting before the disease is very widespread before doing something significant?

What would you like them to do?
They have been trying to contain it.
Seems sensible to track it, consult the experts and have a proportionate response.
It is already costing the economy billions.
Original post by 999tigger
Pre existing and old are more vulnerable, but doesnt mean others are immune. The main point of my post was to point out things are changing now and we could have a much bigger problem. Might be more sensible now as to whether countires need to consider self quarantining.

If it develops into a much bigger event then it could affect the education system.
Students should still revise as normal though, thats the only safe strategy.
There are often posts complaining about not having study leave before exams. They may consider that.
The only important schooling are the exam dates for Y13 and to a lesser extent year 11.
Other years not so important for mocks or even lessons.

The virus had already spread to pretty much everywhere around the world, closing borders won’t do much at this point.
All the stock of hand sanitizer and basic soap has run out. It shows how much people are panicking
Reply 17
The virus had already spread to pretty much everywhere around the world, closing borders won’t do much at this point.

We have less than most countries at this stage. I dont see how letting people in from high risk countries will help. Contain if we can and otherwise slow. Seems to be a race now to get a vaccine, but that could be 12-18 months.

It said on the news Contagion on the WB website is second only to Harry Potter on its streaming service.

Original post by 999tigger
What would you like them to do?
They have been trying to contain it.
Seems sensible to track it, consult the experts and have a proportionate response.
It is already costing the economy billions.

I don't know, I'm not an expert, but it is common sense to actually do something before it gets too widespread to properly contain.
No one can contain it. The window of opportunity for doing that was the moment it was first detected in China and officials down there decided against it because it would be politically and economically inconvenient. And thus, it spread almost worldwide and is harming their economy and, indirectly, almost everyone else's. They manufacture and supply a lot of our stuff, including medicals despite not liking us. Lol, imagine if instead of an overpowered flu, it was Cordyceps Fungi mutated to infect humans.

But hey, at least they are trying and this gives us insight into how governments and health organisations around the world respond to these things - they don't treat it seriously until its too late :smile:

Well, in any case, if you get infected, you get infected. Quarantine yourself and hope for the best. Hopefully, you won't be crippled.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending