The Student Room Group

Women footballers demand equal pay and news coverage to men

...apparently in Australia. The national team is ranked 5th in the world after all, way ahead of their male equivalents.

So it all sounds awfully diverse, and progressive and downright sensible to accord them absolute equality until you read news stories like this...

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/australian-womens-national-team-lose-70-to-team-of-15yearold-boys-a3257266.html

Ouch, that had to hurt!
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by generallee
...apparently in Australia. The national team is ranked 5th in the world after all, way ahead of their male equivalents.

So it all sounds awfully diverse, and progressive and downright sensible to accord them absolute equality until you read news stories like this...

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/australian-womens-national-team-lose-70-to-team-of-15yearold-boys-a3257266.html

Ouch, that had to hurt!

What is your point?
Where does it say they demand absolute equality?
Where does it say they demand equal pay or news coverage?
Havent they already agreed a deal?
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
What is your point?
Where does it say they demand absolute equality?
Where does it say they demand equal pay or news coverage?
Havent they already agreed a deal?

My point is that they aren't equally good at the sport as men, so they don't deserve either equal pay or equal coverage.

Unless you think the national team of fully grown, battle hardened adults getting utterly thrashed by a bunch of 15 year old boys demonstrates something different?

Women aren't as remotely as good as men in sport, whatever feminists try and argue. They aren't in the same league because their bodies aren't as strong or as fast, or as powerful. That is the reality. I suspect a bunch of 12 year old schoolboys could thrash the national women's Rugby side.

My other point is that it is deeply tiresome that there is this unremitting campaign to promote women's sport by the woke liberal globalist media. Enough already, women's team sport is an utter joke, as this story shows...
The article you've linked is from 2016 and isn't related to equal pay or equal media coverage. Do you have anything more recent, or better an official statement from them?
My point is that they aren't equally good at the sport as men, so they don't deserve either equal pay or equal coverage.

Money in sport in general doesn't so much tend to accumulate to the best teams so much as the big-name teams. Even the year Leicester won the Premier League, they still received less money than Arsenal, United or City, because those are the bigger brands. And the Premier League is actually relatively well-regulated in this area - in Spain you can pretty much guarantee that both Real Madrid and Barcelona's earnings will far outstrip those of any other La Liga team regardless of how well they actually perform.
Reply 5
Original post by SHallowvale
The article you've linked is from 2016 and isn't related to equal pay or equal media coverage. Do you have anything more recent, or better an official statement from them?

Are you seriously attempting to argue that female professional sports people don't wish for the same media coverage and remuneration as their male counterparts???

Of course they do. That isn't the question, the question this thread asks is whether they DESERVE it?

You can argue that sport is a business, I suppose. That female tennis players get the same sort of television audiences as male players and therefore deserve the same prize money and rewards. I can respect that point of view although I don't agree.

But that doesn't follow for female team sports, for football and rugby and cricket. Despite their relentless promotion, interest is sparse.

And the standard of the play itself is woeful, as this story demonstrates all too cruelly...

Women's sport is the new frontier of wokeness. In fact I am surprised there isn't a campaign to promote burka wearing beach volley ball players. Give them time!
Are you seriously attempting to argue that female professional sports people don't wish for the same media coverage and remuneration as their male counterparts???

Of course they do. That isn't the question, the question this thread asks is whether they DESERVE it?

You can argue that sport is a business, I suppose. That female tennis players get the same sort of television audiences as male players and therefore deserve the same prize money and rewards. I can respect that point of view although I don't agree.

But that doesn't follow for female team sports, for football and rugby and cricket. Despite their relentless promotion, interest is sparse.

And the standard of the play itself is woeful, as this story demonstrates all too cruelly...

Women's sport is the new frontier of wokeness. In fact I am surprised there isn't a campaign to promote burka wearing beach volley ball players. Give them time!

No. All I have asked you for is a recent article on this. You've posted this news and current affairs so presumably this is something that has happened recently, right?

Assuming this is something they demand, or have demanded, then I'd like to hear their own reasons for wanting equal pay. This is why I've also asked for an official statement from them.
Reply 7
Original post by anarchism101
Money in sport in general doesn't so much tend to accumulate to the best teams so much as the big-name teams. Even the year Leicester won the Premier League, they still received less money than Arsenal, United or City, because those are the bigger brands. And the Premier League is actually relatively well-regulated in this area - in Spain you can pretty much guarantee that both Real Madrid and Barcelona's earnings will far outstrip those of any other La Liga team regardless of how well they actually perform.

Leicester was an outlier. In general, in the EPL, the big name teams are the best teams.
pretty embarrassing they lost to U15 year olds so they were 13 AND 14 lol. if u watch the match you can tell the boys were trying hard not to hurt them lmao.

to be honest nobody likes watching female football otherwise it'd have same coverage as men. less entertaining.
Lol, do they understand basic economics?

Women footballers do not deserve as much money as male footballers. The amount of revenue generated by women footballers is tiny compared to male footballers.
No. All I have asked you for is a recent article on this. You've posted this news and current affairs so presumably this is something that has happened recently, right?

Assuming this is something they demand, or have demanded, then I'd like to hear their own reasons for wanting equal pay. This is why I've also asked for an official statement from them.

You have lost me here. Do you accept that women sports people wish for equal pay and fame to men, or not??

Why wouldn't they?

I have another (hypothetical) question for you woky wokers. Should a male team that self identifies as female get paid the men's rate or the women's?

And would it be transphobic if they didn't? Or indeed did?
This isn't about whose better and whose worse it's about money. You get paid by the amount you bring in. The reason all these male footballers get paid so much is because they bring in so much money. If people are willing to pay to watch you, you will be paid accordingly. If female football was more popular than males football they would be paid more.

There this video from Ronda Rousey who's a female UFC athlete who was asked a question about the pay gap between male and females in sports and she said "I think that how much you get paid should have something to do with the amount of money you bring in, I'm the highest paid (female) fighter - because I bring in the highest numbers, they do it because I bring in the most money and I think that the money they (female fighters) make should be proportionate to the money they bring in.". Female football brings in less money and so they are paid less, not because they are worse, just because it makes less money..

It's all about money, the more money you bring in the more you'll get paid.

Source - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5xRHz8Su6E
You have lost me here. Do you accept that women sports people wish for equal pay and fame to men, or not??

Why wouldn't they?

I have another (hypothetical) question for you woky wokers. Should a male team that self identifies as female get paid the men's rate or the women's?

And would it be transphobic if they didn't? Or indeed did?

Who said anything about transphobia, burkas, 'woke' people, etc? All I'm asking for is a source.
Reply 13
I'm not sure talent really has much to do with this as opposed to how much publicity (and in turn dollar) they get. Fact of the matter being womens football is far less popular than mens football and according they get paid less.
Original post by Capitalist_Lamb
This isn't about whose better and whose worse it's about money. You get paid by the amount you bring in. The reason all these male footballers get paid so much is because they bring in so much money. If people are willing to pay to watch you, you will be paid accordingly. If female football was more popular than males football they would be paid more.

There this video from Ronda Rousey who's a female UFC athlete who was asked a question about the pay gap between male and females in sports and she said "I think that how much you get paid should have something to do with the amount of money you bring in, I'm the highest paid (female) fighter - because I bring in the highest numbers, they do it because I bring in the most money and I think that the money they (female fighters) make should be proportionate to the money they bring in.". Female football brings in less money and so they are paid less, not because they are worse, just because it makes less money..

It's all about money, the more money you bring in the more you'll get paid.

Source - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5xRHz8Su6E

I basically agree, as I said in an earlier post, sport is a business. End of.

But, and it is a reasonably big but, is there not a causal link between preeminent excellence and financial marketability?

I have recently returned from South Africa where the EPL is very popular (as it is all over most of the world). Everywhere I went I saw Liverpool FC shirts. They were four or five times more prevalent than that of any other club.

The last time I went you could see the same phenomenon with Manchester City. It was wall to wall sky blue.

That says two things to me. The EPL is way more popular than La Liga, or Serie A or any other League. And that everyone wants to follow (and buy the merchandise of) the winning team.
Who said anything about transphobia, burkas, 'woke' people, etc?

Who said anything about those subjects? That would be me.

Basically I find the whole progressive mindset and its shibboleths so patently ridiculous, so utterly utterly absurd that I can't help poking fun at it. Every chance I get really...

:smile:
Original post by Napp
I'm not sure talent really has much to do with this as opposed to how much publicity (and in turn dollar) they get. Fact of the matter being womens football is far less popular than mens football and according they get paid less.

Well that raises some interesting questions which go beyond my OP.

The fact is that men's football is the preeminent team sport in the world. Nothing can compare to its global reach. Certainly American sports can generate huge wages for their stars too, but that is because the US is such a huge developed economy, and they can survive in isolation.

But is football uniquely marketable? Does the popularity of the sport trump the sex of the participants in other sports?

The TV audience for the England women's football WC Semi Final was larger than that of the England men's cricket World Cup Final last year I believe.

I find that incredible. Of course it isn't true for most women's football matches which gather live crowd in the hundreds. But all the same that is pretty astounding. Especially when the standard of women's football is so low, so dire, as indeed was that match. It was so pitifully poor as to be actually embarrassing.

Whereas the performance level of the cricket world cup final was of the very very highest, and as drama it would be hard to find anything to equal it in any sport.
Who said anything about those subjects? That would be me.

Basically I find the whole progressive mindset and its shibboleths so patently ridiculous, so utterly utterly absurd that I can't help poking fun at it. Every chance I get really...

:smile:

Um, okay? I don't see why you're directing this at me, I just asked for a source. Are you going to provide one or not?

To be honest it seems like you made this thread just so you'd have something to rant about.
Maybe if women's football got the same funding at grass roots levels then the quality of the football would be much closer. We will never know though because it just doesn't work like that unfortunately.

Dragging up a 4 year old story to do that with is a pretty **** move though, so if you're trying to win people over to your side you're failing.

Of course, if you just want people to think you're a ****, then crack on.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending