The Student Room Group

Should young women just seek out older wealthy men?

Shades of modern Jane Austen scenarios, but there's a big TikTok thing going on (the best known one is SheraSeven - the 'female Andrew Tate') about young women faking adoration for older well off guys to get them to take care of them and pay their bills.
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/aug/09/female-andrew-tate-influencer-dating-debt-man-bills

Is this what we really want in the early 21st century? Women returning to 18th century models of how to live, thrive and survive?

I say this admitting that I do sometimes find older well off men pretty attractive, but maybe it's the faking and the pretending she advocates and the cynicism of it that puts me off?

Thoughts??

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
My Mrs would knock me out if I offered to pay her bills, ha
Why limit themselves to wealthy older men? There are plenty of wealth older women out there too.
People can do whatever they want. But they must be able to handle the consequences of their actions. I think most people would regard those women immoral and debased. So long as they can live with it, fine. But they have no cause to complain if they are treated badly or if society regards them as worse than actual prostitutes (nothing really wrong with prostitutes, they do not necessarily deceive anyone unlike these women you describe).
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Shades of modern Jane Austen scenarios, but there's a big TikTok thing going on (the best known one is SheraSeven - the 'female Andrew Tate') about young women faking adoration for older well off guys to get them to take care of them and pay their bills.
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/aug/09/female-andrew-tate-influencer-dating-debt-man-bills

Is this what we really want in the early 21st century? Women returning to 18th century models of how to live, thrive and survive?

I say this admitting that I do sometimes find older well off men pretty attractive, but maybe it's the faking and the pretending she advocates and the cynicism of it that puts me off?

Thoughts??

I think it's quite a stupid advocation - faking adoration is manipulation. It's okay to have preferences though
Original post by Kovalensky
People can do whatever they want. But they must be able to handle the consequences of their actions. I think most people would regard those women immoral and debased. So long as they can live with it, fine. But they have no cause to complain if they are treated badly or if society regards them as worse than actual prostitutes (nothing really wrong with prostitutes, they do not necessarily deceive anyone unlike these women you describe).

Not to mention a lot of these older rich guys will have families, wives - the impact on them would often be horrible.
Reply 6
ThickTok - 'nuff said.
It is fine to have both dating and relationship dealbreakers connected with financial criterias or revolving around the ability to fund a specific standard of living.
For all adult girls & guys of every age group and sexual orientation.

Every single adult looking to date or hookup with a fellow consenting single adult has the right to decide upon their own dating life ambitions, dealbreakers and lifestyle expectations.
But lying with the aim of luring obviously incompatible dates or planning to entrap a potential partner into a relationship under false pretences then being habitually deceitful and building a relationship on nothing but dishonesty & greed is no way to ever obtain a healthy happy intimate relationship with an above average chance of a reasonably long shelf-life.

Doing that is a recipe for disaster and a dating life brimming with unnecessary drama.
One that will ultimately only lead to toxic relationships, lots of disappointment and very powerful destructive emotions like fury or hate.
Likely with all the aggression and vitriol that so frequently comes hand in hand with corrosive negativity.
Particularly during/after a close relationship breaks down as people realise that they have been targeted by a very dishonest person that they trusted.
Then get bitter about being lied to or manipulated and start to feel vengeful at being played for a fool for so long by an ill-intentioned devious but highly skilled opportunist whom they regret meeting.
Reply 8
Not a new concept in the slightest.
Original post by Surnia
ThickTok - 'nuff said.

I believe it has also spread to YT and the gram. :teehee:
Reply 10
Seems like advice that's been heard before...

Though Linda seems to think you ned to get that gold dug before you're 25, but according to Graun Shera thinks that's the starting age.
Original post by Joinedup
Seems like advice that's been heard before...

Though Linda seems to think you ned to get that gold dug before you're 25, but according to Graun Shera thinks that's the starting age.

Yes, the key takeaway is you gotta keep whatya got while you're hot, so to speak?
Reply 12
I believe it has also spread to YT and the gram. :teehee:

I'll believe it when it's reported on by an Australian expert in the Daily Mail...
Original post by Kovalensky

Would love to live in a world where older men with money are genuinely convinced that younger, attractive women whose bills they pay are not at all in it for the money
Original post by 64Lightbulbs
Would love to live in a world where older men with money are genuinely convinced that younger, attractive women whose bills they pay are not at all in it for the money

Men's capacity for self delusion on this important point never seems to end though. Just look at all the male Hollywood A-listers married to women more than half their age. Some of them could be mistaken for their grandchildren.
My friends and I were discussing this kind of thing a few days ago. The conclusion we came to is that most of us would absolutely love to have a sugar parent. Amazing!
Original post by Sorcerer of Old
My friends and I were discussing this kind of thing a few days ago. The conclusion we came to is that most of us would absolutely love to have a sugar parent. Amazing!

Not exactly just regular parenting though, is it.
Not exactly just regular parenting though, is it.

Eh?? I know. I used the neutral term because we're a mixture of guys and guys. The girls would love a sugar daddy and the guys would love a joosy cougar.
(edited 8 months ago)
It’s a type. There might be some genetic link but many of us prefer wealthy older men. It’s just very attractive to me. Same way men prefer youthful innocent ladies. I don’t think I pretend. I’m 21 and if a 24 year old teen looking wealthy man compared to a 37, I’d prefer the older. It just feels better. Maybe it’s Daddy issues LOL. But I don’t have that issue seriously joking.
Original post by Sorcerer of Old
Eh?? I know. I used the neutral term because we're a mixture of guys and guys. The girls would love a sugar daddy and the guys would love a joosy cougar.

I'm just not sure that all of them turn out to be, well, nice people.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending