The Student Room Group

What's it like being a substitute teacher?

So, I'm asking this for my mate but what is it like being a supply teacher. Would anyone recommend it over having a permanent placement? What's the best way to find supply teacher roles? Is the work constant?
Reply 1
Very hard because the pupils are often aware you're a supply teacher and take advantage of the situation. Moreover, work and instructions left by teachers is not always adequate or interesting. You would be much better getting a permanent placement somewhere. x
Original post by chloea1920
So, I'm asking this for my mate but what is it like being a supply teacher. Would anyone recommend it over having a permanent placement? What's the best way to find supply teacher roles? Is the work constant?

Hi @chloea1920

Supply teaching offers flexibility for when and where you work, and so for some, that's a great thing. There is seldom planning and marking to do either and the work is pretty constant.

However, unless in a long term supply post, your friend would need to sit by the phone awaiting a call most morning to see where they would be working that day. Once in school, they will seldom have the necessary keys to get into the rooms they need to access and forget about logging into the IT systems. Each school has their own behaviour management protocols and so it's seldom you'd be aware of them on arrival, and it's difficult to build the relationships with students is you only ever seem them once.

To find supply teaching roles, your friend would need to register with teaching supply agencies locally to them. They could also see if their local authority offers a list of supply teachers for short term placements.

Wishing you and your friend all the best,

Jane

I think the current crisis highlights one of the key issues with supply teaching- obviously it's exceptional, but if schools close, supply teachers won't be getting paid!

However, if you want flexibility and a reduction in workload, then it can be a good option. I think it works best for experienced teachers who are good at getting a class to respect them quickly. If you struggle with behaviour anyway, it can be a nightmare.
Reply 4

You need to get an agency. Less relationship with the students. more behaviour issues. Lots of vacancies in teaching because it is not a well liked "profession".

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending