The Student Room Group

Corona Virus Panic Buying ..are you ..?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nexttime
I'm in a tesco right now and all easter Egg aisles, crisps cake chocolate etc all completely full. Like, more than normal.

I was in Aldi , Waitrose, Asda and Sainsburys yesterday and the confectionery section was a lot of empty shelves about 80% gone. There were Easter eggs though, but not masses. Food manufacturing has apparently been increased by 50%.
Time will tell.

The other one I heard about as item of choice was Fray Bentos pies. I will check when im next out.

Just been today and it was quiet. Sainsburys had a lot of bare shelves. No pasta , rice, no eggs, hardly any chocolate or bread. Fridges and chilled down to 40%.

Went to Aldi and they were pretty good had everything except eggs, rice and pasta. Had meat but things like Chicken , beef lamb and most pork gone. Impressed how much they had though including bread.
(edited 4 years ago)
:rofl:
I know my family haven't stocked up too much on food, but I have hoarded a lot of books and revision material recently...
I normally have 2 months worth of supplies in general for the things I get from the supermarkets, simply hate shopping. And I go local shops once or twice a week. Lucky me, my 2 months supply finished when everyone started panic buying. I couldn't even get a weeks worth. Not even from my local shops. Queues, rations. Kind of going out of my mind, and now I feel ill too. Perfect lol
Panic buyers are so dumb. Like literally, how much do you think you can eat and **** in one day?
It just shows how selfish a lot of people are in this country, it's very sad really.

Does anyone know whether the same has happened in countries that have been affected the most, is Italy, Spain, etc?
Original post by Brutal Bee
Panic buyers are so dumb. Like literally, how much do you think you can eat and **** in one day?

The point is they're also buying freezers to put it in.
i've had enough of this sh** and it's barely started :colonhash:
Original post by TeenRose29
i've had enough of this sh** and it's barely started :colonhash:

There has to be a limit on how much these idiots can store, but they're probably also storing perishable stuff too which will go off within days and then they'll all be back buying more. It's even stuff like washing powder too, I couldn't get any on Friday and have had to wash stuff using washing-up liquid :frown:
I have nothing but the deepest contempt for panic buyers.

Did anyone see the news a couple of nights ago. It showed a nurse crying, and begging panic buyers to stop, so that the people looking after them could get the essentials. Of course, the panic buying carried on regardless. People who do this are completely selfish, and totally lacking any sense of decency or shame.

Unfortunately, our privacy laws make it illegal for supermarkets to (easily) write a little program that could identify many of these people from their loyalty cards, and then publish their names and addresses: great pity.
Original post by Deborah_C
There has to be a limit on how much these idiots can store, but they're probably also storing perishable stuff too which will go off within days and then they'll all be back buying more. It's even stuff like washing powder too, I couldn't get any on Friday and have had to wash stuff using washing-up liquid :frown:

There may be a limit to what they can store, but there's no limit to their stupidity, or selfishness.

Tbh people find a way to sneak out of limits as well by family members buying seperately. Sorry about my language but honestly its all just f**kin pisstake, it's not the end of the world. Get over it, be decent about things. Keep your distance and stay hygienic, it's not difficult. By shutting everything and everywhere down, its basically forcing people to stay indoors. I'm not just referring to gym's here, I'm talking about many different societies and clubs and maybe small social events. Personally, I went to the gym everyday, no matter how tired I felt, I've been struggling so much with my mental health and I have no freedom apart from the gym and that was my alone time and my happy place and all this lockdown sh** has only just begun and by the end of this I know I'm just going to feel like absolute sh**. I understand cancelling concerts, football matches and shows which have thousands of people attending. But a gym?A small social gathering? Like really? Hygiene was brought into place for a reason and everyone was actually actively using these things to clean up after themselves. Secondly, I saw a huge difference myself, at the gym I was going to there was 180 people first and after this when the restrictions started coming into place honestly there was 43 people there at the same time. It's just too excessive. Your forcing people to shut themselves away and if your struggling with a mental health condition and going outside or somewhere for a little bit to take your mind off things, that's going to make things worse.
Tbh people find a way to sneak out of limits as well by family members buying seperately. Sorry about my language but honestly its all just f**kin pisstake, it's not the end of the world. Get over it, be decent about things. Keep your distance and stay hygienic, it's not difficult. By shutting everything and everywhere down, its basically forcing people to stay indoors. I'm not just referring to gym's here, I'm talking about many different societies and clubs and maybe small social events. Personally, I went to the gym everyday, no matter how tired I felt, I've been struggling so much with my mental health and I have no freedom apart from the gym and that was my alone time and my happy place and all this lockdown sh** has only just begun and by the end of this I know I'm just going to feel like absolute sh**. I understand cancelling concerts, football matches and shows which have thousands of people attending. But a gym?A small social gathering? Like really? Hygiene was brought into place for a reason and everyone was actually actively using these things to clean up after themselves. Secondly, I saw a huge difference myself, at the gym I was going to there was 180 people first and after this when the restrictions started coming into place honestly there was 43 people there at the same time. It's just too excessive. Your forcing people to shut themselves away and if your struggling with a mental health condition and going outside or somewhere for a little bit to take your mind off things, that's going to make things worse.

Try running. If there's somewhere near you where you can go for a slow jog or run you might find it beneficial.
Try running. If there's somewhere near you where you can go for a slow jog or run you might find it beneficial.

That's the thing though, I'm not allowed to, not by myself because I have no freedom. My parents don't understand that though. It's just killing me off and putting me in a really bad mood and that doesn't help when I have a long and busy week, working in the NHS.
Original post by Appirition
It just shows how selfish a lot of people are in this country, it's very sad really.

Alternatively: it shows a lack of faith in our government. Which given their erstwhile strategy of 'herd immunity' prior to last week's dramatic policy U-turn, would have been entirely justified.

I stockpiled sensibly two weeks ago, anticipating amid this appalling dearth of credible leadership that others would shortly commence their panic-buying in earnest, but also that any ensuing scarcity would most likely resolve inside of a few weeks thereafter once the emerging situation had stabilised. My prognosis was borne out when, two weeks later, Lidl sought to implement a 'four-item maximum' per customer—but not before the shelves had been picked-clean of sanitary items, analgesics and tinned goods.

Had the government taken decisive action when it was sorely needed to enforce social distancing measures and instil vital confidence among the public-at-large, I would have been content to forgo my eighteen rolls of toilet-paper and thirty-five tins of kidney-beans in the knowledge that others—including the most rapacious of the panic-buying hordes—were being effectively constrained. As it is, the only foreseeable recourse was either to go without, or else become resigned to a daily, listless trawling of decimated supermarket aisles among similarly condemned souls, my likelihood of either contracting or transmitting the pathogen growing exponentially with each visit because, even in the self-fulfilling purgatory of their ignorance, they still lack the sense not to approach within two metres.
(edited 4 years ago)
That's the thing though, I'm not allowed to, not by myself because I have no freedom. My parents don't understand that though. It's just killing me off and putting me in a really bad mood and that doesn't help when I have a long and busy week, working in the NHS.

That sucks! Is there no-one else at work that might like to go running with you?
Only scumbags panic buy like those people have been in the shops
Reply 36
My dad bakes his own bread, we went to the shops and suddenly Asda is out of yeast and flour :unimpressed:
like come on you idiots never baked a loaf of bread in your life, don't pretend you're going to start.

But I think a lot of people do it without realising. True, you could have a small number of people who just buy as much as possible and clear the shelves, but it could also be lots of people thinking "actually I might get some more mince/pasta/cereal/potatoes"

Original post by Appirition

Does anyone know whether the same has happened in countries that have been affected the most, is Italy, Spain, etc?

There was panic-buying in Italy but it has died down - so I hear. Once people realise that there really is nothing stopping them from going to the shops and that the shelves are getting restocked and they continue to open it might settle down.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Sinnoh
There was panic-buying in Italy but it has died down - so I hear. Once people realise that there really is nothing stopping them from going to the shops and that the shelves are getting restocked and they continue to open it might settle down.

I think it will die down. I went to my local M&S this morning and was pleasantly surprised. They had everything....loads of fresh fruit and veg, eggs and even loo rolls! :biggrin:
Reply 38
Original post by Karisa96
No. I refuse to panic buy.
There is enough to go round if people were only to be sensible.

THIS!!! Thank you! I don't understand why people are overreacting when it comes to food. It's like they're preparing for an apocalypse
That sucks! Is there no-one else at work that might like to go running with you?

I work at Coventry hospital and I live in Birmingham, there’s nowhere I can go. I have a 45 minute lunch and that’s all. I don’t know what to do. It might sound silly but I actually cried earlier because I just feel imprisoned.

Quick Reply

Latest