The Student Room Group

which books are best to read up for medicine?

i'm thinking of starting to draft up my personal statement, and plan to take medicine in uni. so of course, i should start reading up on books. i've ordered two- 'the man who mistook his wife for a hat', and 'complications: a surgeon's notes on an imperfect science'.

i know the first book i mentioned is really common, and i dont want to read too many books since i want to go into more detail about each book should i need to in an interview. however, i dont want the interviewer to see me read a book that 2930 other people have also read. so i was wondering whether there are any other, interesting yet perhaps uncommon books anyone would like to recommend me?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2
If you fancy reading something different, try War Doctor by David Nott. It’s written by a surgeon who has worked in several war zones. Very interesting!
Reply 3
thank you everyone!! ill look into these books :smile: i also wanted to ask that (especially for a medicine degree), it's hard to talk about a book and then relate it to science. so how to i interweave the themes of the book into my personal statement without sounding like a motivational speaker or someone thats looking for an english degree instead
Reply 4
Adam Kay - This is Going to Hurt: Secret Diaries of a Junior Doctor
Reply 5
Original post by aeneas_son
thank you everyone!! ill look into these books :smile: i also wanted to ask that (especially for a medicine degree), it's hard to talk about a book and then relate it to science. so how to i interweave the themes of the book into my personal statement without sounding like a motivational speaker or someone thats looking for an english degree instead

You want to talk about what you learned from it or what interested you about it. Perhaps reading the Oliver Sacks book sparked an interest in the nervous system, and maybe you could link this to something you’ve read in the news about an exciting development in neurosurgery. This is just an example, but essentially rather than listing off books you want to explain why they interested you and something you learned from them. Also note you don’t actually have to mention books at all if you don’t want to, but it is a good way of demonstrating wider interest beyond your studies.
Reply 6
Original post by Keels25
You want to talk about what you learned from it or what interested you about it. Perhaps reading the Oliver Sacks book sparked an interest in the nervous system, and maybe you could link this to something you’ve read in the news about an exciting development in neurosurgery. This is just an example, but essentially rather than listing off books you want to explain why they interested you and something you learned from them. Also note you don’t actually have to mention books at all if you don’t want to, but it is a good way of demonstrating wider interest beyond your studies.

i see, so instead of approaching it in a very 'this is a book i read, it explored this theme, i liked so and so', it's more of 'in this book this aspect of medicine was mentioned quite a lot, and through further research i discovered so and so, which interested me'. that made so sense now that i typed it out, but what you said definitely helped!

the idea of writing a personal statement seems so daunting to me, im still trying to figure out what im supposed to include in it that isnt all useless ramble, so sorry for all these nervous questions!
Reply 7
It's not strictly about medicine but Factfulness by Hans Rosling does offer quite a different perspective on it - he was often posted abroad in countries without a well-developed healthcare system which results in some difficult dilemmas.
It's also just a really good book to read in general.
Reply 8
i see, so instead of approaching it in a very 'this is a book i read, it explored this theme, i liked so and so', it's more of 'in this book this aspect of medicine was mentioned quite a lot, and through further research i discovered so and so, which interested me'. that made so sense now that i typed it out, but what you said definitely helped!

the idea of writing a personal statement seems so daunting to me, im still trying to figure out what im supposed to include in it that isnt all useless ramble, so sorry for all these nervous questions!

Thats right yes! What makes it unique is not just saying you’ve read a book but what you got from it and how it might have developed your interests! Writing a personal statement is hard - especially because you’ve only got limited characters. I recommend making a list of all the things you think you might want to include, eg books, experiences, extracurriculars etc and next to each thing write about the significance of each and what you got from it (skills, attributes, interests etc). This will help you to get your ideas together and it’s easier than trying to write it without a plan :smile:
Reply 9
thank you all so much for your help! ive made a list of books to choose from now, and am a lot more confident in starting the draft for my personal statement. i'll let you know if it goes well!
TBH work experience and volunteering are far more important in a medicine PS and it is rare that you get space to talk about extra reading.
Original post by Interrobang
TBH work experience and volunteering are far more important in a medicine PS and it is rare that you get space to talk about extra reading.

yh ive been reading up on personal statements and realised not many people talk about books. it's a bit inconvenient considering i had three work experiences and volunteering placements sorted but i had to stop them before i barely started so i dont have much to talk about : (
yh ive been reading up on personal statements and realised not many people talk about books. it's a bit inconvenient considering i had three work experiences and volunteering placements sorted but i had to stop them before i barely started so i dont have much to talk about : (

You won't be the only person in that position... There may be discussion in the medicine forum on how people are managing being in that situation/communications from the unis
Original post by Interrobang
You won't be the only person in that position... There may be discussion in the medicine forum on how people are managing being in that situation/communications from the unis

ah, do you have the link to that thread? id like to see what id be able to do in this situation because my personal statement draft is looking very dry
ah, do you have the link to that thread? id like to see what id be able to do in this situation because my personal statement draft is looking very dry

The forum is here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=195

Have you seen this?

https://bsmsoutreach.thinkific.com/courses/VWE

i have actually! ive just started it, and am hoping to complete it before the end of may latest (i have no idea how long it should take, but our school has taken to online testing so unfortunately i dont have too much spare time on my hands)
thank you! i was just wondering whether you planned on reading a lot of books or reading just those two and focusing on them. i have about 8 books that ive downloaded in ebook form and i know i wont have time to read them all lmao, but is it worth reading more than 2?
i think the main issue with me is that i do have an interest in neurology, but also immunology, haematology and toxicology (that sounds like ive conjured up a random list out of nowhere but i swear i have an actual interest in those fields). im confused on whether in my personal statement i should show devotion to one area of medicine or show that im interested in many different branches. i feel like everyone has a rough idea of what exactly in medicine they want to pursue, but im still amazed by pretty much everything i see
In terms of books, I really enjoyed 'Fragile Lives' by Professor Stephen Westaby, a heart surgeon, and 'The First Breath' by Olivia Gordon, the latter of which is all about a parent's perspective of fetal and neonatal medicine. 'The Emperor of all Maladies' by Siddhartha Mukherjee is good if you want a comprehensive history of cancer and its treatment, but it does go on a bit. I'd like to learn more about the brain, so if anyone has any recommendations, pls let me know :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending