The Student Room Group

A-level French

Currently, I've just finished my GCSEs and am really interested in going on to study Biology, Chemistry and French A-levels. I would also like to do this for medicine. Would I still get into medicine if I took on A-level French? And also is A-level French difficult for a non-native speaker like myself? I've also heard many people say that there is essay writing - is this like English Lit or less difficult?
Sorry about all the questions
Reply 1
Original post by m.shab
Currently, I've just finished my GCSEs and am really interested in going on to study Biology, Chemistry and French A-levels. I would also like to do this for medicine. Would I still get into medicine if I took on A-level French? And also is A-level French difficult for a non-native speaker like myself? I've also heard many people say that there is essay writing - is this like English Lit or less difficult?

If you enjoy studying French, it should be fine. Chemistry and Biology are the most important A-Levels to study Medicine, so that is fine as well. The essay-writing in itself is naturally much simpler than that of English Literature, because of course you're also expected to translate to a foreign language in the process. It's not simple French, but they're not assuming that it's your first language.
Reply 2
Original post by m.shab

Hello! I’ve just finished year 12 doing biology, chemistry, maths and French and I want to study biology/biochem too 😁 (For context I do Edexcel French)

If you liked French at GCSE, I think you will enjoy it even more at A level since instead of learning how to say ‘I have 3 brothers and a dog’ you actually learn about French society and culture. For example, right now we are learning about life in France when it was occupied by Germany in the Second World War which is scary but very interesting. I was also worried about the ‘essays’ but in reality they are just extended writing responses to a question about a French book and film you study and you only write about 350-450 words depending on your exam board. I hated English lit at GCSE but these ‘essays’ are defo not too bad as long as you come up with some points for different themes and vaguely remember a few quotes (your teacher will hopefully tell you how to set it out). There are also lots of useful revision guides you can buy for the books/films you study that help with themes/points/useful quotes and essay layout. I can link some in the replies if you want.

You should feel solid in your GCSE grammar (present tense/irregular verbs/perfect tense/imperfect/future/agreements) but you will keep building on this throughout your A level course. There’s not huge amounts of extra grammar you need to know on top of GCSE- the biggest new bit is the subjunctive. We had to buy and work through A level grammar workbooks which do help make sure you’re secure in your knowledge. I think orals are a little harder as you have to learn more content than at GCSE but again this is doable and with enough prep most people do well!

Overall, I definitely do a LOT more revision for biology and chemistry than for French but you do have to continually put the effort in to do the homework, go through any weaknesses in the grammar you may have, make notes on for things you can say in the oral for different Themes and hopefully do some extra reading/listening to French podcasts etc outside of lessons as this will help with the readings/listenings/translations that get a bit more tricky at A level (I can give a few recommendations of what I read if you’d like 😊). Personally, I think it’s a nice break from my science subjects and I know quite a few people in my class who want to do medicine. You don’t always need maths (eg a girl in my class is doing biology chemistry French and music) for medicine APART FROM for certain unis which may require it. So even though it seems a bit early I recommend looking at a few different uni courses and seeing what their requirements are.

I think you should go for it if you like it- I personally don’t think it’s bad at all and enjoy it 😄 No matter what you choose to do, I’m sure you will do great and in the first few weeks you can switch to trying different A levels anyway (at least in my sixth form). Feel free to ask if you have any more questions about doing bio/chem/French! 😊
Reply 3
Original post by Riann246
If you enjoy studying French, it should be fine. Chemistry and Biology are the most important A-Levels to study Medicine, so that is fine as well. The essay-writing in itself is naturally much simpler than that of English Literature, because of course you're also expected to translate to a foreign language in the process. It's not simple French, but they're not assuming that it's your first language.

Thank you so much. Yeah I really enjoy learning French and you've helped calm my nerves down quite a lot :smile: I hope you have a great day!
Reply 4
Original post by vera8
Hello! I’ve just finished year 12 doing biology, chemistry, maths and French and I want to study biology/biochem too 😁 (For context I do Edexcel French)

If you liked French at GCSE, I think you will enjoy it even more at A level since instead of learning how to say ‘I have 3 brothers and a dog’ you actually learn about French society and culture. For example, right now we are learning about life in France when it was occupied by Germany in the Second World War which is scary but very interesting. I was also worried about the ‘essays’ but in reality they are just extended writing responses to a question about a French book and film you study and you only write about 350-450 words depending on your exam board. I hated English lit at GCSE but these ‘essays’ are defo not too bad as long as you come up with some points for different themes and vaguely remember a few quotes (your teacher will hopefully tell you how to set it out). There are also lots of useful revision guides you can buy for the books/films you study that help with themes/points/useful quotes and essay layout. I can link some in the replies if you want.

You should feel solid in your GCSE grammar (present tense/irregular verbs/perfect tense/imperfect/future/agreements) but you will keep building on this throughout your A level course. There’s not huge amounts of extra grammar you need to know on top of GCSE- the biggest new bit is the subjunctive. We had to buy and work through A level grammar workbooks which do help make sure you’re secure in your knowledge. I think orals are a little harder as you have to learn more content than at GCSE but again this is doable and with enough prep most people do well!

Overall, I definitely do a LOT more revision for biology and chemistry than for French but you do have to continually put the effort in to do the homework, go through any weaknesses in the grammar you may have, make notes on for things you can say in the oral for different Themes and hopefully do some extra reading/listening to French podcasts etc outside of lessons as this will help with the readings/listenings/translations that get a bit more tricky at A level (I can give a few recommendations of what I read if you’d like 😊). Personally, I think it’s a nice break from my science subjects and I know quite a few people in my class who want to do medicine. You don’t always need maths (eg a girl in my class is doing biology chemistry French and music) for medicine APART FROM for certain unis which may require it. So even though it seems a bit early I recommend looking at a few different uni courses and seeing what their requirements are.

I think you should go for it if you like it- I personally don’t think it’s bad at all and enjoy it 😄 No matter what you choose to do, I’m sure you will do great and in the first few weeks you can switch to trying different A levels anyway (at least in my sixth form). Feel free to ask if you have any more questions about doing bio/chem/French! 😊

Thank you so much! I agree. I think the main reason why I chose it was because I love learning new languages and the fact that it serves as a break from content heavy subjects like Bio and Chem. I'm really glad you're enjoying it! I wish you all the best for your A-levels next year :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by vera8

Thank you so much! I agree. I think the main reason why I chose it was because I love learning new languages and the fact that it serves as a break from content heavy subjects like Bio and Chem. I'm really glad you're enjoying it. I wish you all the best for your A-levels next year and hope you have a great day! :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by m.shab
Thank you so much! I agree. I think the main reason why I chose it was because I love learning new languages and the fact that it serves as a break from content heavy subjects like Bio and Chem. I'm really glad you're enjoying it. I wish you all the best for your A-levels next year and hope you have a great day! :smile:

No problem! Sounds like A level French is a super choice for you then. Thanks so much and good luck for Y12 :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest