The Student Room Group

Best / most interesting exam board for A-level physics?

Currently deciding what A-levels to do and I've definitely decided on maths, further maths and chemistry. The obvious 4th choice (my school makes all further maths students study 4) is physics, but I found the GCSE kind of boring, even though I got a 9 in all my mocks. I did edexcel and I massively preferred paper 1 to paper 2 (having said that I LOVED radioactivity).

But of course, physics fits well with my subjects and I'm good at it so I had a look at the AQA specification and it seems so so interesting - fascinated by almost all of the topics on the specification with the exception of mechanics, but this is where the majority of the maths overlap is (as far as I'm aware, correct me if I'm wrong - we study the maths mechanics modules at my school) and I love love love maths.

But, turns out, my school teaches OCR physics, and the specification looks so boring in comparison (not sure if its spec A or B but they both look equally dull). Is there actually that great a difference between the different physics specifications? Will I still enjoy OCR?

Thanks!
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by apolaroidofus
Currently deciding what A-levels to do and I've definitely decided on maths, further maths and chemistry. The obvious 4th choice (my school makes all further maths students study 4) is physics, but I found the GCSE kind of boring, even though I got a 9 in all my mocks. I did edexcel and I massively preferred paper 1 to paper 2 (having said that I LOVED radioactivity).

But of course, physics fits well with my subjects and I'm good at it so I had a look at the AQA specification and it seems so so interesting - fascinated by almost all of the topics on the specification with the exception of mechanics, but this is where the majority of the maths overlap is (as far as I'm aware, correct me if I'm wrong - we study the maths mechanics modules at my school) and I love love love maths.

But, turns out, my school teaches OCR physics, and the specification looks so boring in comparison (not sure if its spec A or B but they both look equally dull). Is there actually that great a difference between the different physics specifications? Will I still enjoy OCR?

Thanks!

Hi, I'm in year 12 and I study Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Geography (My college is the same as yours when t comes to 4 and further maths). You are correct when you say that the mechanics bit of Maths ad Physics is very similar, in my opinion you just go into a bit more detail, but for me that is my favourite bit of physics, but thats just a personal opinion.

I do AQA, and yes like you said it is interesting (but I find electricity and particles kinda confusing aha), so I don't know what the OCR spec is like, but I don't think they are that different. I think the main thing you need to think about is what other subject would you do if you didn't do physics and do you need any subjects for what you want to after sixth form (Physics is only really required if you want to do physics or sometimes engineering at uni).

And just a side note in my Further Maths class of 21 there is only 2 people that don't do physics - I know this isn't exactly relevant to your decision, just a little 'fun fact'. Hope this helps :smile:
So on the whole both syllabi are both similar. The main difference with OCR is you don't have to pick an option. Instead you'd do about half of Astrophysics and half of Medical Physics.

Most school's don't even offer the option of choosing which option you do so don't feel like you're missing out. You'll get to do the engineering mechanics in further maths so doing it again would be boring. Plus in my opinion the astrophysics is the most interesting option.

Quick Reply

Latest