The Student Room Group

Official Thread: (Undergraduate) Medicine 2021 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by arunayyar28
@GANFYD How do KCL use predicted grades? Do they rank students on it or is the minimum entry requirements of A*AA enough?

Thanks

You just need to meet minimum entry requirements. Barts is the only London med school who use predicted/achieved A levels as part of short listing
Original post by arunayyar28
Thank you everyone for the advice! I wasn’t planning on applying to these unis (well I was to Cambridge but I guess that’s gone!).

I am planning on applying to KCL, Keele, Leicester and 1 other. I’m banking on my UCAT being good as the unis I want to go to are all UCAT heavy ones (Leicester and KCL). Should I apply to a safer uni or put my fourth as a BMAT one like Imperial ?

Hello there! Just thought I would jump on the thread to let you know that if you have any questions about Keele I would be more than happy to answer them! :smile:
Although medicine is medicine, do people have any thoughts on the below top 10 prestigious UK medical schools list published last week?

1. Cambridge
2. Oxford
3. Imperial
4. UCL
5. KCL
6. Queen Mary
7. Edinburgh
8. Manchester
9. Birmingham
10. Bristol
Original post by emily.atk1998
Although medicine is medicine, do people have any thoughts on the below top 10 prestigious UK medical schools list published last week?

1. Cambridge
2. Oxford
3. Imperial
4. UCL
5. KCL
6. Queen Mary
7. Edinburgh
8. Manchester
9. Birmingham
10. Bristol

According to whom?

1. Cambridge
2. Oxford
3. Imperial
4. UCL
5. KCL
6. Queen Mary
7. Edinburgh
8. Manchester
9. Birmingham
10. Bristol

Total load of bo**ocks?

Edit: OMG, it’s almost Pavlovian!
(edited 3 years ago)

1. Cambridge
2. Oxford
3. Imperial
4. UCL
5. KCL
6. Queen Mary
7. Edinburgh
8. Manchester
9. Birmingham
10. Bristol

:rolleyes:
Original post by sophie1213
Screenshot 2020-06-30 at 22.29.38.png

I came across this SJT question and I don't really understand why I got it wrong because I've read in so many places that you shouldn't assume the action is the only action taken. in this case, I presumed that she would have prescribed her the anti-anxiety medication as well as given her advice and referred her to counselling. Can someone help explain why is it 'appropriate but not ideal' rather than 'a very appropriate thing to do', because it is very appropriate to provide the medication..

It’s because the action is to just give her the medication. Otherwise that action would say ‘prescribe her the anti anxiety medication to help with her panic attacks and provide other support’ or something similar. In some cases you can infer other things, but here it clearly states that this is the only action going to be performed. Can’t really assume with this one I’m guessing. It’s appropriate but not ideal. Appropriate because it will help, but not diesel because it ain’t really the solution.
Original post by Anonymous17!
It’s because the action is to just give her the medication. Otherwise that action would say ‘prescribe her the anti anxiety medication to help with her panic attacks and provide other support’ or something similar. In some cases you can infer other things, but here it clearly states that this is the only action going to be performed. Can’t really assume with this one I’m guessing. It’s appropriate but not ideal. Appropriate because it will help, but not diesel because it ain’t really the solution.

oh okay! thank you so much!
Original post by sophie1213
Screenshot 2020-06-30 at 22.29.38.png

I came across this SJT question and I don't really understand why I got it wrong because I've read in so many places that you shouldn't assume the action is the only action taken. in this case, I presumed that she would have prescribed her the anti-anxiety medication as well as given her advice and referred her to counselling. Can someone help explain why is it 'appropriate but not ideal' rather than 'a very appropriate thing to do', because it is very appropriate to provide the medication..

Tbh, I think the difference is minor and you could make the case for how you read it. I’d say it’s maybe not ideal as it might not actually be addressing the problem, it’s just prescribing what the patient is asking for uncritically? So maybe for it to be very appropriate it would be “prescribing anti-anxiety medication after assessing that it was medically needed” or something. Again, I think it’s a really minor difference in this case and just SJT nuance - I wouldn’t worry too much :smile:

1. Cambridge
2. Oxford
3. Imperial
4. UCL
5. KCL
6. Queen Mary
7. Edinburgh
8. Manchester
9. Birmingham
10. Bristol

I mean, I’d love to know how someone came up with this ranking (so I could critique it more acerbically), but it’s nonsense :rolleyes:
Original post by lyb
I took a gap year after a levels

You can apply to anywhere who will accept the degree you’ve done, as long as you have the minimum A Level/ GSCEs requirements they want :smile:

For example, I am applying to Queen Mary for dentistry. 5 year course. They asked me to have a 2.1 in my degree and a CC in AS Biology and Chemistry :smile:
Due to COVID 19, will unis still be looking at predicted grades? Because they all know how unreliable they are, and for unis such as Imperial and UCL, are they a huge factor in getting in? For example is someone with an AAA prediction worse off than someone with A*AA? Also medicine does have the extra option of the the admission tests and interviews to look at which many other courses don't have as an option.
Original post by keeno25
Due to COVID 19, will unis still be looking at predicted grades? Because they all know how unreliable they are, and for unis such as Imperial and UCL, are they a huge factor in getting in? For example is someone with an AAA prediction worse off than someone with A*AA? Also medicine does have the extra option of the the admission tests and interviews to look at which many other courses don't have as an option.

2021 entry requirements are still mentioning predicted grades so why would medical schools not look at them? Colleges and 6th forms are still going to give them out as they will still be a required part of your UCAS application

Someone with an AAA prediction will be fine if that is what the minimum requirements are of the medical school.
Helloooo everyone,

I wanted some advice; I got 9 9's and 1 8 at GCSE and am predicted three A* in my A levels and an A for EPQ. My personal statement is going okay, I volunteered in a care home until lockdown and have done work experience in a Gp practise and in an A&E ward. I think I will probably do average for UCAT but Im not sure about BMAT yet as I havent started practise properly.
What kind of unis do I have a good shot at?
Also, do I have any chance of geting into oxbridge as I love how the medicine course is structured there as well as the cities themselves but I dont know if Im good enough ....eg as Ive only done 10 GCSE's (below the average for usual oxbridge med applicants).

Any help is appreciated :smile:
Original post by grh3579
Helloooo everyone,

I wanted some advice; I got 9 9's and 1 8 at GCSE and am predicted three A* in my A levels and an A for EPQ. My personal statement is going okay, I volunteered in a care home until lockdown and have done work experience in a Gp practise and in an A&E ward. I think I will probably do average for UCAT but Im not sure about BMAT yet as I havent started practise properly.
What kind of unis do I have a good shot at?
Also, do I have any chance of geting into oxbridge as I love how the medicine course is structured there as well as the cities themselves but I dont know if Im good enough ....eg as Ive only done 10 GCSE's (below the average for usual oxbridge med applicants).

Any help is appreciated :smile:

Well so far you are the perfect candidate! However as always you will need to do well in the admission tests. Cambridge are not overly bothered about GCSE’s and Oxford should recognise you only did 10 so it shouldn’t be a problem. I guess you need to choose which one of those to apply to. Concentrate on your UCAT as a good score here will keep your options open as you won’t know your BMAT score before you apply.
What are your A level subjects?
(edited 3 years ago)
Hi everyone,

I'm thinking of taking the ukat near the end of august, and bmat is obviously in november, so I'm looking to start revision now. What resources are best to base the bulk of my revision off of? And does anyone have any tips for how to revise/ how many hours per day and how many weeks?
Original post by Laycity
Well so far you are the perfect candidate! However as always you will need to do well in the admission tests. Cambridge are not overly bothered about GCSE’s and Oxford should recognise you only did 10 so it shouldn’t be a problem. I guess you need to choose which one of those to apply to. Concentrate on your UCAT as a good score here will keep your options open as you won’t know your BMAT score before you apply.
What are your A level subjects?

Hiyaa, thanks for replying!! I'm doing Bio, Chem, Maths... which was actually another one of my concerns as Im only doing 3 subjects whilst most applicants probably do 4...
Original post by grh3579
Hiyaa, thanks for replying!! I'm doing Bio, Chem, Maths... which was actually another one of my concerns as Im only doing 3 subjects whilst most applicants probably do 4...

A lot of Oxbridge applicants will do 4 but you shouldn’t be disadvantaged as offers will be based on 3 A levels. Your subject combination is perfect for Oxbridge as well - good luck.
Original post by becausethenight
UCL likes them, but I don’t know if they score them. It will also raise your UCAS tariff for QMUL.

We went to Imperial open day and the lady actually says they don't give any points for epq. Her advice was to concentrate only on the 3 Alevel subjects and get the best possible grades.
Original post by grh3579

As long as you are predicted 3 A*s you will be fine. Most state schools and academies offer 3 i.e Brampton Manor which had more Oxbridge offers than most private schools where students can do 4-5 subjects! Your GCSE's are great - good shot at Oxford.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending