The Student Room Group

StO across the GSS

For those who have applied to the Statistical officer roles across GSS. Which level have you applied? Have you heard back?

Scroll to see replies

I applied to Higher Statistical Officer. I really thought we would hear back this week since interviews are supposed to take place week c/ 8 June
Reply 2
Original post by anafilipafr
I applied to Higher Statistical Officer. I really thought we would hear back this week since interviews are supposed to take place week c/ 8 June

I applied for the 3 roles and failed the Statistical Officer test. So I'll likely get interviewed for Senior and Higher. Anyway I spoke to them this Monday and they said interviews will take place 16th June to 10th July and we'll hear from them by end of next week
Reply 3
Do you think the pass mark for the test will be high? I passed it, but it didn't go very well
Reply 4
Original post by pu2020
Do you think the pass mark for the test will be high? I passed it, but it didn't go very well

The passmark is usually lowh they'll only raise it if there are too many applicants. But I spoke to them on phone and they assured me that I had qualified for the interview so I don't know if they are maintaining the initial passmark since I also don't think my tests went very well either
If anyone hears back, please let us know!
Reply 6
I've just got an interview invitation for the Higher role. Anyone else?
I have just applied and have been asked to do the online test. What type of questions come up for the test. Any particular topic list I need to brush up on?
Reply 8
Original post by Suchithra_deen
I have just applied and have been asked to do the online test. What type of questions come up for the test. Any particular topic list I need to brush up on?

There are practice questions attached to the job advert
Have passed the online test. How long before you were invited for an interview? Do they wait until the end of closing date.

Any advice on how to do the interview?
Suchithra, yes they will wait until after the closing date to do the sift and decide who to invite to interview.

I've got an interview.
Hi all,

I have applied for StO last round and passed the test. However, my personal statement was marked low (3). Could you please give me advice about the personal statement? Do you cover all Competencies when writing it? I was thinking that the competencies will be marked during the interview but from the feedback I have received I am not so sure.

Any ideas would be very welcome. I am preparing to apply again this month.

Many thanks.
Reply 12
Original post by MakedaSP
Hi all,

I have applied for StO last round and passed the test. However, my personal statement was marked low (3). Could you please give me advice about the personal statement? Do you cover all Competencies when writing it? I was thinking that the competencies will be marked during the interview but from the feedback I have received I am not so sure.

Any ideas would be very welcome. I am preparing to apply again this month.

Many thanks

I got an interview and passed it as well..you should try and specify how you meet the person specification
Original post by Selci
I got an interview and passed it as well..you should try and specify how you meet the person specification

My feedback is "the candidate provided good examples on their ability to work within a team and manage own workload, but not enough evidence provided on statistical analysis carried out, e.g. what statistical methods have been applied, and how it was applied and what was the outcome."

This feels as if I have to write the behaviours examples in my personal statement?
Reply 14
Original post by MakedaSP
My feedback is "the candidate provided good examples on their ability to work within a team and manage own workload, but not enough evidence provided on statistical analysis carried out, e.g. what statistical methods have been applied, and how it was applied and what was the outcome."

This feels as if I have to write the behaviours examples in my personal statement?

I think the feedback has stated clearly what was lacking. You need to demonstrate in your personal statement that you have knowledge and experience of using a statistical analysis in addition to the behaviours you have already demonstrated. They may not have assesed your CV to know this.
Original post by Selci
I think the feedback has stated clearly what was lacking. You need to demonstrate in your personal statement that you have knowledge and experience of using a statistical analysis in addition to the behaviours you have already demonstrated. They may not have assesed your CV to know this.

Thanks. I'll try again and will add the stats example in more detail.

PS: congratulations on passing the interview! Well done!
Reply 16
Hi, does anyone have any advice on what to expect in the dissemination test for a Statistical Officer?
Thanks
Original post by -harri
Hi, does anyone have any advice on what to expect in the dissemination test for a Statistical Officer?
Thanks

The panel will give you some data. You will probably have to think how to present it graphically, then you will have to write maybe few key points and at the end to present for 5 min or so to the panel explaining trends etc. This is what I heard but there are people here who have just been interviewed and will be able to provide better advice than that.
Reply 18
Has anyone here had a successful offer with Higher or StO role?
Hi all!

I was wondering if someone who has attended an interview could give me some tips on how to prepare or what to expect in the interview stage, especially with the competency Qs.

I applied for the StO role and they mentioned that my personal statement was good but i needed some elaboration when using STAR method.

This is my first interview in a long long time so any tips you could give would be so helpful.

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending