The Student Room Group

HELP! Liberal Arts or Lit? Durham? Oxford or Cambridge?

Hi, I'm really panicking rn.

So I'm torn between wanting to study at Durham bc it's supposedly the best in the UK for Eng Lit or Oxford/Cambridge bc they are the best UK Unis apparently.

(I'm doing Single BTEC Business, A-Level Lit and Graphics.)

There's a program at my col for the most able students, but they didnt put me on it bc i had some trouble with my GCSE grades and moving schools. Will this affect my chances for these Unis as they are all Russell Group Unis and quite prestigious. This would have given me more UCAS points too, through EPQ and I'm legit gutted that I can't do it. I'm on track to get D* A* A in y13.

Also would it be more beneficial to my future to do joint honours in Liberal Arts rather than single in Lit?

Anyone know any reliable ways to get more UCAS points with 1 year left of col?

Anybody do Lit/Liberal arts at Durham/Oxford/Cambridge?

Thanks for any advice :smile:
I'm an English student at Cambridge. English may be said to be the best at Durham (by league tables I'm assuming you've looked at?) but really everything at the top is very similar. An employer is not going to know which university is best for each and every subject, and it'll change year to year anyway. English at Cambridge is extremely personalised, with huge amounts of support (I'm guessing similar at Oxford), and the curriculum at Durham is different to this. So depends on which way of learning you consider is best for you.

Liberal arts may be good because you have a slightly non-conventional choice of subjects, and these could be perhaps combined in some way at Durham. Also you'll need to check which universities allow BTECs in the place of an A-Level. I wouldn't worry about UCAS points, most higher end unis aren't bothered about these as long as you have the entry requirements.

In terms of your GCSEs, if you good reasons for these and can prove your progress at A-Level you should be fine. Apparently Oxford look at bit closer at GCSEs though.

Good luck!
Reply 2
Thank you for the reply, it's quite useful to have insight form a current student. Good luck w your studies :smile:
Original post by spookysun

So I'm torn between wanting to study at Durham bc it's supposedly the best in the UK for Eng Lit or Oxford/Cambridge bc they are the best UK Unis apparently.

There's a program at my col for the most able students, but they didnt put me on it bc i had some trouble with my GCSE grades and moving schools. Will this affect my chances for these Unis as they are all Russell Group Unis and quite prestigious. This would have given me more UCAS points too, through EPQ and I'm legit gutted that I can't do it. I'm on track to get D* A* A in y13.

Also would it be more beneficial to my future to do joint honours in Liberal Arts rather than single in Lit?

It's difficult to know what will be "more beneficial" to your future, as you don't say what your future goals are. At present, you seem to be focusing on what is "prestigious" or "the best" university. Different universities offer different experiences, different ways of learning, and courses consist of different components. It's important to have some self-awareness about what you are interested in, how you learn, and what you want to achieve. Think about those elements before you commit to anything.

whats a d* ?
Reply 5
Original post by TabithaFord99
It's difficult to know what will be "more beneficial" to your future, as you don't say what your future goals are. At present, you seem to be focusing on what is "prestigious" or "the best" university. Different universities offer different experiences, different ways of learning, and courses consist of different components. It's important to have some self-awareness about what you are interested in, how you learn, and what you want to achieve. Think about those elements before you commit to anything.

Oops I never mentioned but my goals are to become an English teacher. Either, as a foreign language, or in further education colleges. You're totally right, you needs goals and direction in order to actually do anything well, ty :smile:

Original post by leobrave
whats a d* ?

Also a D* is a Distinction star in BTEC, same UCAS points as an A* at A-Level
Thank you for the reply, it's quite useful to have insight form a current student. Good luck w your studies :smile:

Have you looked at Flexible combined honours at Exeter?

http://www.exeter.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/flexible/exeter/
If you liberal arts you could always major in English literature and it's more of a flexible degree compared to English lit. I would say decide what it is you want to do when you have finished your degree and think from there. Also, question what it is you like about a liberal arts degree and what's making you debate between that and Lit. Also, if you realise it's bc you don't want to be stuck to just one subject you could look at the flexible combined honours Exeter offers and study English literature and another subject like idk classics for example . You can major minor in the both of them or have it 50/50. That means you could make the degree more you so for example if you think you prefer a degree in English literature you can take more credits in that and finish with a degree saying ''English literature with classics'' or do an equal amount of credits ''English literature and classics'. Obviously, I'm not suggesting classics but I am giving it to you as an example. You could always also look at joint honours to go with English
Reply 8
Original post by Muttley79
Have you looked at Flexible combined honours at Exeter?

http://www.exeter.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/flexible/exeter/

No, not yet anyway, ty for the link!

Original post by Dechante
If you liberal arts you could always major in English literature and it's more of a flexible degree compared to English lit. I would say decide what it is you want to do when you have finished your degree and think from there. Also, question what it is you like about a liberal arts degree and what's making you debate between that and Lit. Also, if you realise it's bc you don't want to be stuck to just one subject you could look at the flexible combined honours Exeter offers and study English literature and another subject like idk classics for example . You can major minor in the both of them or have it 50/50. That means you could make the degree more you so for example if you think you prefer a degree in English literature you can take more credits in that and finish with a degree saying ''English literature with classics'' or do an equal amount of credits ''English literature and classics'. Obviously, I'm not suggesting classics but I am giving it to you as an example. You could always also look at joint honours to go with English

Tyty for the advice and info, it's appreciated :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending