The Student Room Group

PGCE 5 minute lesson task- interview advice

Hi,

I have an upcoming interview and I'm struggling to prep for the 5 minute lesson task. As its on such a time constraint I'm wondering what I could do to prep?

It is for secondary English. I can do anything of my choice OR a current issue in teaching

Any advice would be appreciated.
Original post by s789
Hi,

I have an upcoming interview and I'm struggling to prep for the 5 minute lesson task. As its on such a time constraint I'm wondering what I could do to prep?

It is for secondary English. I can do anything of my choice OR a current issue in teaching

For a 5 minute task, they just want to get a sense of how you speak to a group. They want to know that you can hold a group's interest, and that you're confident talking in front of a group of people. Don't feel that the task has to be super inventive or ground breaking!

You could do something like introduce a book you enjoy (make sure it's appropriate for secondary students), or a word game, set a task like writing an acrostic poem and work through an example- choose something you can get passionate and enthusiastic about!
Original post by s789
Hi,

Hello @s789

Congratulations on your invite to interview!

Please call 'Get into Teaching' on 0800 389 2500 and ask for a Teacher Training adviser, a fully qualified and experienced teacher who will hep you to plan this teaching episode and to prepare for other aspects of your interview!

Wishing you the very best of luck!

Jane
Reply 3
Original post by Get into Teaching
Hello @s789

Congratulations on your invite to interview!

Please call 'Get into Teaching' on 0800 389 2500 and ask for a Teacher Training adviser, a fully qualified and experienced teacher who will hep you to plan this teaching episode and to prepare for other aspects of your interview!

Wishing you the very best of luck!

Jane

Hi

Thank you!

My advisor is now on annual leave- is there any way I could be matched up with someone else in the interim?
Original post by s789
Hi

Thank you!

My advisor is now on annual leave- is there any way I could be matched up with someone else in the interim?

Hello @s789

DM me with your advisers name and your email address and I'll line up someone to be in touch!

Jane
My biggest piece of advice is open up your 5 minute 'lesson' by stating what students will know from previous learning and the purpose of the activity in helping them progress to reaching the next stage of learning.

One of the key aspects a PGCE trainee needs to learn is not just how to plan and prepare lessons, but how to connect them and integrate them into a continuous path of learning.

Other than that, make it as simple as possible so it's clear and concise and rounds nicely within the 5 minutes. Perhaps open with a question to involve the interviewers? Make eye contact and stand tall and confident.
Reply 6
I have been searching through TES and BBC news, everything is just COVID related and i feel as though thats too cliché to discuss in an interview.

What current education issue is worth of discussion?
What about linking remote learning with kinaesthetic learning styles? How do you teaching ‘doing skills’ online.

I did PGCE for further education.
Original post by s789
I have been searching through TES and BBC news, everything is just COVID related and i feel as though thats too cliché to discuss in an interview.

What current education issue is worth of discussion?

I think it's fine to bring up covid, or remote learning, or how students will cope with returning to the classroom- it's clearly the biggest issue facing schools/education right now, and to ignore it might come across as strange.

However, you could also talk about something like school funding, or the use of isolation, or funding for SEN pupils, which have all been hot topics in the media before the current crisis.

Original post by ClaudiaVan
What about linking remote learning with kinaesthetic learning styles? How do you teaching ‘doing skills’ online.

I did PGCE for further education.

Don't do this- there is no evidence to support the idea of "visual, auditory or kinaesthetic" learners, and it's seen as an outdated idea by most ITT tutors.
Reply 9
Original post by SarcAndSpark
I think it's fine to bring up covid, or remote learning, or how students will cope with returning to the classroom- it's clearly the biggest issue facing schools/education right now, and to ignore it might come across as strange.

However, you could also talk about something like school funding, or the use of isolation, or funding for SEN pupils, which have all been hot topics in the media before the current crisis.

Don't do this- there is no evidence to support the idea of "visual, auditory or kinaesthetic" learners, and it's seen as an outdated idea by most ITT tutors.

Thank you so much! I was worried that if I used any COVID examples I might just be stating the obvious but I also didn't want to come across as though I'm not aware of all the current changes taking place
Reply 10
Original post by SarcAndSpark
For a 5 minute task, they just want to get a sense of how you speak to a group. They want to know that you can hold a group's interest, and that you're confident talking in front of a group of people. Don't feel that the task has to be super inventive or ground breaking!

You could do something like introduce a book you enjoy (make sure it's appropriate for secondary students), or a word game, set a task like writing an acrostic poem and work through an example- choose something you can get passionate and enthusiastic about!

Hi there - I've decided to do a poem, I recall this was done when I was doing my GCSE's. Ive chosen to look at the first stanza but I dont know how to keep a good balance with questions and my own knowledge
Original post by s789
Thank you so much! I was worried that if I used any COVID examples I might just be stating the obvious but I also didn't want to come across as though I'm not aware of all the current changes taking place

I don't think it's stating the obvious at all- I think showing you understand the challenges of children returning to school in September will be a positive.
Original post by s789
Hi there - I've decided to do a poem, I recall this was done when I was doing my GCSE's. Ive chosen to look at the first stanza but I dont know how to keep a good balance with questions and my own knowledge

In 5 minutes, you won't have much time to ask questions, and you don't want to risk one of the other interviewees giving a long answer and using up some of your time (you also risk nobody being willing to answer). I'd keep any questions short, or do voting exercises, or perhaps something where they write answers on e.g. a post-it at the beginning/end, rather than verbal questioning.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending