The Student Room Group

What's the Best Discount(s) Youve Gotten On Games?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by quasa
hey if you complete 100% of a game regardless of how long you spend (platinum =/= 100% for a lot of games), and feel no attachment / have no friends or family interested (or old enough) to play the games, why keep them when you can flog them.

You openly said you don't flog them; you play a game to its absolute fullest, then return it for a refund!
Original post by ozzyoscy
You openly said you don't flog them; you play a game to its absolute fullest, then return it for a refund!

same principle, i cant help it if a lot of games take less than 2 weeks to complete (which means I can get a refund, or in the case of amazon, 1 month return policy).
(edited 3 years ago)
im so glad nfs heat got rid of lootboxes. made the game much more enjoyable.
Original post by quasa
same principle, i cant help it if a lot of games take less than 2 weeks to complete (which means I can get a refund, or in the case of amazon, 1 month return policy).

WTF? One is demanding a refund after playing a game to its fullest, the other is selling it on as pre-owned because you're done, that's completely different ends of the morality scale. Such a fraud.
Uncharted 4 is currently under 8 pounds on the PlayStation store. It's a weirdly constructed game, I find, in level design choices (although that lack of obviousness should aid replayability), but the graphics, some setpieces, and the Elena/Nathan relationship are very well done and it's mostly a leisurely enough game (too leisurely?) that it's like being on holiday.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by quasa
recently I decided to download steam after getting something a few years ago but never getting around to installing it.

To my surprise, a $15 bundle I paid (~£12) ages ago was still valid. this was as part of a charity discount rockstar games was doing for the rainforest alliance. for $15, I got GTA3, vice city, san andreas, GTA4 & episodes from liberty city (it is now the complete edition as steam had to merge them), max payne1,2,3 (including dlc for 3), LA Noire &DLC, manhunt, bully complete edition. whilst I doubt i will play manhunt and max payne, the others are games I enjoyed or in the case of la noire, want to try.

Also got persona 5 ultimate edition in 2018 for £21 (RRp was £84) from playstation store.

So yeah, what's the best discounts you've gotten on games?

If it is just about steam games, the Mega Man parts 1-6 I got as Legacy collection on steam were bargains. Did not even pay for the collection, it was a christmas gift in the last year. And even if I would had paid, I had saved hundreds of pounds. The original games for NES are a rarity and thus pretty expensive. The prices for these games are about 60 up to 90 pounds. Do the math.
Reply 26
persona 5 ultimate for like £15 discounted from £79.99

but the best discounts ultimately were games acquired for free through piracy.

can't really beat "free"
Original post by ANM775
persona 5 ultimate for like £15 discounted from £79.99

but the best discounts ultimately were games acquired for free through piracy.

can't really beat "free"

personally i dont support piracy but kudos of p5 ultimate for £15.99 (I paid £21 from ps store). you played p5r?
Reply 28
Original post by quasa
personally i dont support piracy but kudos of p5 ultimate for £15.99 (I paid £21 from ps store). you played p5r?

I've not played Royal, no

ngl I am a bit jelous of Royal coming out with additional content, but I just don't feel the content is worth starting the game again and paying another £40-£50 for it

I was already in kamoshidas castle when i heard royal was like 3 months from getting released

I misjudged how long it would take to complete this castle and got to the end, [beat the boss] and then literally sent the calling card and ran out of time. i played through again from an earlier save point [6 hours replay] and the same thing happened again.

then i went back to the save point it gave me and finally beat the deadline.

After so much replay I was not going to start to game again and buy persona 5 royal as i was getting sick of playing through the same parts.
well i mean Project Zero for the Wii U was selling for £160 and i got it for free so i guess that was good 😂
I got NFS Heat for free because my Uncle didnt ever actually play it and gave it to me and i got cod ww2 half price when it came out so i guess that was lucky
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by ANM775
I've not played Royal, no

ngl I am a bit jelous of Royal coming out with additional content, but I just don't feel the content is worth starting the game again and paying another £40-£50 for it

I was already in kamoshidas castle when i heard royal was like 3 months from getting released

I misjudged how long it would take to complete this castle and got to the end, [beat the boss] and then literally sent the calling card and ran out of time. i played through again from an earlier save point [6 hours replay] and the same thing happened again.

then i went back to the save point it gave me and finally beat the deadline.

After so much replay I was not going to start to game again and buy persona 5 royal as i was getting sick of playing through the same parts.

I'd wait till p5r goes on heavy discount. I've completed it and say the new content is great but yeah, not worth the price of a new game
Original post by K_A_I_2004
I got NFS Heat for free because my Uncle didnt ever actually play it and gave it to me and i got cod ww2 half price when it came out so i guess that was lucky

Loved nfs heat. Possibly my fav game last year and felt like the best nfs game since the early mid 00s
The thing is with Steam games I imagine a very high % of them are bought by young men who now have jobs and an income as a kind of nostalgia collection, with good intentions to play, but they never get round to it.
Reply 34
Original post by quasa
I'd wait till p5r goes on heavy discount. I've completed it and say the new content is great but yeah, not worth the price of a new game

might be years tbh

the persona games seem to decrease in price very slowly compared to most games
Original post by quasa
personally i dont support piracy

You write this in the same thread you say you complete a game, even get every Achievement, then take it back for a refund. Exact same result. WTF?
You write this in the same thread you say you complete a game, even get every Achievement, then take it back for a refund. Exact same result. WTF?

Grow up
Original post by quasa
Grow up

You buy games, collect all the trophies, then send them all back for a refund and you're telling me to grow up?

And because I questioned the contradiction?...

...Grow up.
You buy games, collect all the trophies, then send them all back for a refund and you're telling me to grow up?

And because I questioned the contradiction?...

...Grow up.

I understand you ethically disagree with Quasa use of retailers returns policy's (and tbh its not something I would do).

But there is a difference between utilising a customer returns policy even if you used the product and piracy.

You might disagree with both, but there is an ethical and legal difference.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by mnot
I understand you ethically disagree with Quasa use of retailers returns policy's (and tbh its not something I would do).

But there is a difference between utilising a customer returns policy even if you used the product and piracy.

You might disagree with both, but there is an ethical and legal difference.

In both scenarios they rob the developers and publisher of a sale because of one's own delusional sense of entitlement and isn't taken kindly to.

The only difference is one route is illegal, the other's plain sad but can tell oneself it's morally ok because of a loophole.

Quick Reply

Latest