The Student Room Group

didn't get straight As in mocks - all 9s in real exams?

Responses from year 12s and above:
Did anyone get low/average scores in their mocks but got straight As and A*s in their real GCSEs? And is it possible to even do that?
(edited 2 months ago)
Not me personally as I got Covid grades which was mostly all Bs but it’s possible my best friend did she worked rlly hard and everyday did 3-4hr minimum and a bit more weekends. Good luck!
Reply 2
I do recall in my own Year 11 November mocks getting around a Grade 5 in my mathematics and a Grade 5 in English Language. It is still very possible with a lot of studying and cracking through PPQs as I walked out with a Grade 8 in both subjects (didn't get my grade 9 in maths because of the obscene inflation in grade boundaries that year). I have known multiple people as well who have gotten straight 8s and 9s with a lot of hard work and studying. Make sure you're solid in the foundations of your subject and have good exam technique, majority of people drop marks from not doing that.

I would recommend doing 2-3 hours of study per day on week days and around 4-5 hours of study a day on weekends, make sure to take hourly breaks and reward yourself whether it's watching an episode of your favourite series, eating food, or playing a bit of your favourite game.

Personally I also have severe anxiety so I make sure to have some camomile tea before exams to calm myself down and get in the correct headspace. Additionally, I don't quite recommend trying to cram content directly before an exam is about to begin as that may rouse confusion or put unnecessary stress on you, I'd also avoid getting into pre-exam subject content discussions with classmates, maybe put on your headphones and listen to music.

Overall, don't stress yourself out! You still have until May to improve yourself and get the results you want.

Good Luck and all the best ^^

Quick Reply

Latest