The Student Room Group

U buying the PS5?

Scroll to see replies

What the sales assistant sees as I pay for my PS5:
Reply 21
Absolutely. ‘Dem exclusives! 😍
Yes yes yes... but may wait a bit after launch as the 1st batch usually has tons of teething problems
Not till like 2022
Reply 24
im getting it because gaming computers are so expensive and i like controllers/ps4 interface...
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 25
doubt i'll consider it for a few yrs until it comes down in price.

managed to get my ps4 new a few yrs back for £165

on amazon it seems to be retailing at £275 atm which is really weird. You would have thought after all these years it would be around the £150 mark by now.

i'm sure the ps2 was.... and even the ps1
Original post by ANM775
managed to get my ps4 new a few yrs back for £165

on amazon it seems to be retailing at £275 atm which is really weird. You would have thought after all these years it would be around the £150 mark by now.

Covid has increased the demand on game consoles massively, even the older consoles from this gen are sitting around their RRPs most of the time now. It also seems like you got a really good price for your PS4, the 500GB model hasn't dropped below £199 in the four year it's been available on Amazon.

https://uk.camelcamelcamel.com/product/B01GVQVQH2
Reply 27
a few yrs ago there was a FIFA 18 500gb console bundle selling for £199.99 in argos.

I bought it then immediately sold the new FIFA game to CEX and got £35 for it

£199.99 - £35 = about £165 and that's how I got it so cheap
Original post by ANM775
a few yrs ago there was a FIFA 18 500gb console bundle selling for £199.99 in argos.

I bought it then immediately sold the new FIFA game to CEX and got £35 for it

£199.99 - £35 = about £165 and that's how I got it so cheap

Ah, so you didn't actually buy it for £165. That makes more sense.
Reply 29
Probably in a year or so when it has a wider selection of games.

My PS4 is more than enough for now
Reply 30
My last FIFA game before that was FIFA 2000 and i'm not really into them anymore so just decided to sell it.

you can currently get FIFA18 brand new for a fiver on amazon.

FIFA games are some of the fastest depreciating games ever made.

imagine I tried to sell it today? I'd be lucky to get £2 for it
I'd get a ps4 maybe. not a ps5 though.
Reply 32
Original post by adam271
I'd get a ps4 maybe. not a ps5 though.

is it really worth paying £250+ for a PS4 at this point when PS5 is around the corner?

I'd expect the PS5 to be £399.99 to £499.99 at launch

PS5 is supposed to be backwards compatible too..
Reply 33
PS4 has been out like 7 years?

It launched at £349 and currently is at £249

It really hasn't depreciated much. I hope the PS5 doesn't go the same route as it's really not gonna be worth waiting 7 years for a £100 discount
Original post by ANM775
is it really worth paying £250+ for a PS4 at this point when PS5 is around the corner?

I'd expect the PS5 to be £399.99 to £499.99 at launch

PS5 is supposed to be backwards compatible too..

I'm hoping it will drop down when ps5 is released.

That way I can play LOU2, Death stranding, God of War, spiderman and cyberpunk cheap :tongue:
Damn straight I'm getting it. I've got disposable income that I've earned myself.
Original post by ANM775
PS4 has been out like 7 years?

It launched at £349 and currently is at £249

It really hasn't depreciated much. I hope the PS5 doesn't go the same route as it's really not gonna be worth waiting 7 years for a £100 discount

I know, but the specific SKU Amazon currently sell was added in 2016.

The PS5 will probably depreciate more because the price is going to be inflated in the first place because component scarcity has driven up the production costs, and demand is likely to be higher than production can keep up with. Microsoft are having the same issues, it's why both of them are playing chicken with announcing price as late as possible, neither want to admit how much it's going to be until the other does so they can marginally undercut them.

Give it a couple of years for component prices/availability to normalise and production to increase, and it will become a bit more reasonable.
(edited 3 years ago)
I wouldnt be surprised to see it as high as £600 for the disk console and £500 for diskless tbh
Original post by quasa
I wouldnt be surprised to see it as high as £600 for the disk console and £500 for diskless tbh

I think that's what they should cost under existing models, but they're both scrambling to avoid actually charging that. If I was a betting man (well I am, but not on the speculative price of electronics) I'd predict whoever shoots first goes £550 for the "main" version, which the other will undercut to £500 and eat the short term loss, with diskless models coming in about £75-£100 cheaper.
(edited 3 years ago)
if you go by standard retail behaviour in the uk, the rrp of the product would cost 1.8 times the cost of making the product (including labour), thereby resulting in a 50% profit as rrp includes 20% vat. considering the ps5 supposed costs $450 to make (~£343), that means in theory the console would logically retail for ~£618. however considering both companies obviously want to attract gamers / consumers, dont be too surprised, like you said, for them sell it at £500 range. it does however make me wonder why there is such a massive markup on premium smartphones as the phones themselves cost £200-£400 to make yet they retail for close to £1000 (if not higher) :colonhash:
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest