The Student Room Group

Durham "lads" post

So just wanted to make a post on this.... I recently completed my Sexual conduct course for starting at Durham University. call me old fashioned but alot of it was basic manners and I thought alittle over zelas for the times but passed all the same so no issues.

this morning another friend informed me of a group chat named " durham posh boys" and its chat involving future students planning on doing some less than savoury things to in there words the most skint birdin the university.

along with other posts included they suggested using rohipnol to drug girls and work through the working class girls.

I'm not sure of the number of "lads" attending the university this year but there will also be actual "working class lads" attending this year, you know those ones who live on the estates with those so called skint girls also come from.

and as I'm sure your aware or unaware, this isn't Oxford, mummy and daddy can't bail you out, and this part of England won't stand for it and hopefully this can shed some light on the levels of elitism the university has a problem with. and maby diversified admissions along lines other than Cambridge or Oxford reject would serve them better. last I checked alot of middle to low class estates across the UK. diversity of thought and class might help to reel these fools in.

apparently speaking posh and having money doesn't stop you being an utter fool at best and a baby rapist at worst.

much love

The North

Scroll to see replies

I agree, it's absolutely disgusting and makes me feel sick. Many of the 'working class' girls I know have withdrawn Durham as their choice.
Oh my gosh! That is absolutely horrible. Is anyone at the university even properly aware of this?
This should be put on the "Durham 2020 Applicants Thread"
It seems the old trope of the private school/Southern students who come because they didn't make Oxbridge, despite being given gold plated pathway, to Durham just to treat the local people with contempt is still around. It's okay though because Durham Uni has condemned it!
Floods you with excitement to go as one of said local students.
Reply 6
It's banter
I read the article in The Times this morning.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/durham-university-freshers-aimed-to-have-sex-with-poorest-student-ggsch723j

Original post by ItsStarLordMan
Oh my gosh! That is absolutely horrible. Is anyone at the university even properly aware of this?

Yes, they are investigating.
That's absolutely disgusting.
I hope this is being investigated, drugging someone in general is NOT okay, let alone because of their social class.
correct me if im wrong but didnt they just say they'd sleep with them. not rape them. its childish banter trending because the media doesn't have anything else.
Original post by SMEGGGY
It's banter

No it's not. A lot of the things they said, including the 'sleep with the poorest girl' competition, and the George Floyd comment, were made in absolute seriousness. Quite often you can tell when the difference between banter and serious comments, and judging from the screenshots, this was serious.
Also, if you feel comfortable to make this sort of 'banter' with lads you've only known for a matter of weeks online, there's no telling what you'll do in real life.
Original post by clin.edpsych
correct me if im wrong but didnt they just say they'd sleep with them. not rape them. its childish banter trending because the media doesn't have anything else.

There was a different part of the conversation where they were suggesting the use of r*pe drugs.
Original post by MidgetFever
That's absolutely disgusting.
I hope this is being investigated, drugging someone in general is NOT okay, let alone because of their social class.

i cant even find that part in there.
I've seen plenty of that at uni before the rise of social media. It was all over private internet forums.
Reply 14
I don't know would you consider rohipnol a standard party drug for the budding entrepenuer

Rest assured this kind of stupidity is commonplace at Durham. Southern students salty they've been sent to the North🤢 because for all their money they couldn't make Oxford or Cambridge and as such treat the trip as a lads holiday. Every year there is something like this from actual offenses to conspiracy. This is, I admit, the worst I think in all my time.
Original post by chloenix
There was a different part of the conversation where they were suggesting the use of r*pe drugs.

sadly these kids will still have a job even if they get kicked out/dont go uni
i cant even find that part in there.

There's a mention of rohipnol in the OP.
sadly these kids will still have a job even if they get kicked out/dont go uni

Undoubtedly :frown:
I just hope that they will learn to be more decent people. I'll allow myself to think optimistically and say that they're still young and have the potential to change...doubt it though...
Original post by chloenix
No it's not. A lot of the things they said, including the 'sleep with the poorest girl' competition, and the George Floyd comment, were made in absolute seriousness. Quite often you can tell when the difference between banter and serious comments, and judging from the screenshots, this was serious.
Also, if you feel comfortable to make this sort of 'banter' with lads you've only known for a matter of weeks online, there's no telling what you'll do in real life.

Didn't see George comment., that's not banter but sagging girls is. How many girls shag and talk about sagging lads? Yup go deny it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending