The Student Room Group

Hello Everyone!

I have received offer letters from both Durham University and the University of Manchester for an MA in Creative Writing. Which one should I prefer?
Original post by Affi1313
I have received offer letters from both Durham University and the University of Manchester for an MA in Creative Writing. Which one should I prefer?

They are both great universities, so well done on getting those offers. Neither is one you "should" prefer.

Have you read through the course content on their web sites to see which course you prefer? Have you visited each university to see which seems to suit you best? The locations are really quite different, with Manchester being much more busy / lively. What sort of location were you looking for?
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
They are both great universities, so well done on getting those offers. Neither is one you
Reply 3
They are both great universities, so well done on getting those offers. Neither is one you "should" prefer.

Have you read through the course content on their web sites to see which course you prefer? Have you visited each university to see which seems to suit you best? The locations are really quite different, with Manchester being much more busy / lively. What sort of location were you looking for?[/QUOT

Yeah, I did research about both the universities. I like the course at Manchester more but my relatives staying at the UK tell me that Durham is more prestigious. Therefore, I am confused.
Yeah, I did research about both the universities. I like the course at Manchester more but my relatives staying at the UK tell me that Durham is more prestigious. Therefore, I am confused.

And what it most important to you - course content or prestige?

The fact that you've used the phrase "relatives staying at the UK" suggests that you might be an international student. Is that right? Where were you hoping to work after graduation?

The reason I ask is that although Durham does have more "prestige" in the UK than does Manchester (although they are both great unis), Manchester has a better profile internationally. Does that muddy the waters a little? :s-smilie:

Remember, it's you going to uni, not your relatives.

Have you read through the course content on their web sites to see which course you prefer? Have you visited each university to see which seems to suit you best? The locations are really quite different, with Manchester being much more busy / lively. What sort of location were you looking for?[/QUOT

suspect part of this prestige perception comes down to the average parents of Durham students being wealthier
the *course* is the thing
go with your preference for the course and just plan accommodation well in advance if you do decide to go to Manchester - part of parents’ preference for Durham concerns college accommodation in first year being more secure
Reply 6
As a South African l'm so glad joining the TSR team and l would be appreciated of spreading more ideas and information about our studies as different institutions

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending