The Student Room Group

I have very little amount of clothes

Hi ,so I'm 15 years old and I'm in high school .We have to wear school uniform everyday and on Fridays we have the option to wear our casual every clothes .For me uniform is great because I won't feel judged 'cause everyone is basically wearing the the same thing, but when it comes to fridays ,I have nothing to wear and most of my friends and classmates see what I wear every Friday so I try and change it up a bit so it doesn't look like I wear the same clothes every Friday,but to be honest I'm running out of outfits and I don't know what to do .My best friend doesn't really know about this and I kinda feel imbaraced for trying to ask her if I could borrow a top or something just for the day
Original post by Megan Maloka
Hi ,so I'm 15 years old and I'm in high school .We have to wear school uniform everyday and on Fridays we have the option to wear our casual every clothes .For me uniform is great because I won't feel judged 'cause everyone is basically wearing the the same thing, but when it comes to fridays ,I have nothing to wear and most of my friends and classmates see what I wear every Friday so I try and change it up a bit so it doesn't look like I wear the same clothes every Friday,but to be honest I'm running out of outfits and I don't know what to do .My best friend doesn't really know about this and I kinda feel imbaraced for trying to ask her if I could borrow a top or something just for the day

I know it may not be in your budget or anything but try finding cheap clothes online, clearance in shops and just stuff like that to get clothes for really cheap. If not then there are loads of YouTube videos on how to style up outfits in so many ways. Even if you are wearing the same top or anything you can find ways to style it up a bit more. If not, you should speak to your friend because if she really is your friend she would not mind at all. I am really sorry this happens to you and I hope this helps even a little bit xx

You are stressed about what your friends will think of you if you wear the same outfit every friday. To be frank, it really isn't a big deal. Just go in your school uniform. If they ask questions, tell them that you are too lazy to wear something different every Friday and that you find school uniform comfortable. Remember, it's always ok to be different. You won't "lose" your friends just because you decide to wear school uniform on Fridays and they don't.

Also, who cares about what your classmates think? Live your life and stop worrying about clothes. At the end of the day, it's school and not a fashion show to see who has the best outfit every friday.
Hey don't feel embarrassed for not having much clothes. You can try DIY on your clothes or you have some budget to find some good clothes and add some accessories to look good.

Hey! There are some great suggestions here but I just wanted to add a new perspective to this discussion. I'm super into being creative and looking at the impact of fashion (particularly fast fashion and sustainability) but obviously that's just how I go about things.

The system of capitalism and fast fashion makes it seem unacceptable to wear the same clothes more than once. But the whole point of buying clothing is to wear them again, right? So first thing it's not bad to repeat clothing.

Next, most people are too worried and self conscious about how they look to care much about what other people are wearing. Don't worry too much about it, most people won't even notice if you do repeat your clothing.

Now for some suggestions:
Be creative- can you layer things together and make it look like something new? What about wearing a top as a skirt or vice versa or wearing a dress as a top. Try borrowing your parents or siblings (if you have them) clothes and wear it in a different way.
Matching- when you're buying something new or looking at your own clothes, think about colour schemes, style and what works with that. Find a few key items of clothing and then you have a lot of combinations eg. 5 bottoms and 5 tops= 25 outfits at least and more when you layer and be creative about it

I know that even when you know about these things, it's hard to control how you feel but hopefully you find these helpful!
Original post by lionpunkgirl
Hey! There are some great suggestions here but I just wanted to add a new perspective to this discussion. I'm super into being creative and looking at the impact of fashion (particularly fast fashion and sustainability) but obviously that's just how I go about things.

The system of capitalism and fast fashion makes it seem unacceptable to wear the same clothes more than once. But the whole point of buying clothing is to wear them again, right? So first thing it's not bad to repeat clothing.

Next, most people are too worried and self conscious about how they look to care much about what other people are wearing. Don't worry too much about it, most people won't even notice if you do repeat your clothing.

Now for some suggestions:
Be creative- can you layer things together and make it look like something new? What about wearing a top as a skirt or vice versa or wearing a dress as a top. Try borrowing your parents or siblings (if you have them) clothes and wear it in a different way.
Matching- when you're buying something new or looking at your own clothes, think about colour schemes, style and what works with that. Find a few key items of clothing and then you have a lot of combinations eg. 5 bottoms and 5 tops= 25 outfits at least and more when you layer and be creative about it

I know that even when you know about these things, it's hard to control how you feel but hopefully you find these helpful!

'The system of capitalism'?

Really? lol
i’m almost 20 and at uni (no uniform) and dont have many clothes. at the end of the day it doesnt really matter, so long as you wash them and stuff. the people who are your friends wont make fun of you. and also, what you wear may seem like a big thing to you but trust me everybody else is too busy worrying about their own problems to notice.
There is nothing wrong with repeating outfits. Just wear what you have and don't worry about it. No one else will be paying much attention to your clothing.
Are you american?
Also same, i look homeless as all the clothes i have are so boring and not trendy at all. and i look the same
in the uk we have to wear strict uniform so no one in my school knows HAHAHA
Original post by anime<3gaming
'The system of capitalism'?

Really? lol

lmao, don't think you even read my whole comment

And yes, here are some links:
Capitalism and fast fashion: The True Cost
It's ok to repeat your outfits
Vox: fast fashion explained

Quick Reply

Latest